Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Any reason why? She was still really good under Williams and Blackman.
    Maybe it was too much for me in a way. The DEO shenanigans, Croc's metamorphose, all the animal men... I enjoyed grounded Batwoman more.
    Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    Unless you're saying that you REALLY hate all of Babs's appearances, this is objectively false.

Even IF Cass and Steph's runs at Batgirl weren't AMAZING, Steph never had a bad outside appearance while Batgirl, and Cass's, while REALLY bad outside her solo a good amount of the time, were still few and far between.

So the only way "most" Batgirl material could be bad was if you think of most of Babs's appearances from the 60's to today were crap.
    Hate is too strong a word. BTAS Batgirl rocks, so does Batgirl Year One. I like NML Cass but not much more (haven't read her Rebirth material yet). My post tried to say occasionally like a sidekick for Bruce but its often overdone (for me). How many sidekicks do Zorro have or The Shadow? Batman's family is bigger than Superman's nowadays.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 04-30-2017 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Maybe it was too much for me in a way. The DEO shenanigans, Croc's metamorphose, all the animal men... I enjoyed grounded Batwoman more.
    Okay, but I really can't see what you mean. Kate's official debut as Batwoman was her slamming a werewolf's head through a desk while split-kicking another werewolf and a gorilla-man. And there were werepeople in Elegy. She and her story have only ever been "grounded" in a relative sense.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Okay, but I really can't see what you mean. Kate's official debut as Batwoman was her slamming a werewolf's head through a desk while split-kicking another werewolf and a gorilla-man. And there were werepeople in Elegy. She and her story have only ever been "grounded" in a relative sense.
    I go by memory here... Maybe the crime bible stuff from 52 looked only grounded compared to the other ongoing stories (Booster, Black Adam etc.) but I liked that as well. Maybe I was disappointed how they ended Montoya's part. It's been a few years and I've read thousands of pages since.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I know, I know but for me one Robin + Alfred + Gordon is enough. Not that I dislike the other family members... but all of them together. That rubs me the wrong way. Batman Inc is a torture for me to read. Most Batgirl stuff just isn't quality material. Batwoman died with Rucka (god bless him) for me. Q. Millers Batgirl was a lot of fun and I was surprised to like it that much.
    Yeah this is what I mean. I was never a fan of Robin but over time, especially reading the comics I started to like him especially Dick. I can't stand Damien and not a fan of the rest of the family. 3 of them was just perfect not to mention I just like Batman dealing with shit alone.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Time for me to have an unpopular opinion! I agree she's never been grounded - and I really dislike that about her part of Gotham. (Also, for all my love of Batman Eternal, they really screwed up by not having Kate deal with Deacon Blackfire instead of Batwing.) To me, it's like Sherlock Holmes fighting the supernatural - it's just not something I enjoy at all.

ALSO, I love Batman/Huntress: Cry for Blood much more than Batwoman: Elegy. EVEN THE ART!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Spectacular Member DetectiveStrange's Avatar

The best comic staring Batman right now is the Batman/Shadow miniseries IMO. If you want some older stuff check out the four volumes of No Man's Land.

I'm kinda with OP in a bit that although I like many members of the Batfamily, I prefer Batman to operate with a smaller circle in general. Have you tried reading The Long Halloween? I feel like that's something you'd like
    Last edited by The Kid; 05-02-2017 at 07:13 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I think Tom King's BATMAN is fantastic. It reads better/will read better in TPB, but it is a lot of fun and has such an interesting atmosphere.

If you dug Synder's BATMAN though- he's still writing Batman. It's ALL STAR BATMAN, and it's also a well done book.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DetectiveStrange View Post
    The best comic staring Batman right now is the Batman/Shadow miniseries IMO. If you want some older stuff check out the four volumes of No Man's Land.
    It's a bit early to say best, isn't it? The first issue was gorgeous and atmospheric, but we barely got into plot.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord