Corbyere

Question Recommendations for where to start from

NOTE:I AM REALLY NEW TO COMICS I wanna start reading about the mcu so I can upgrade from a movie watching peasant to a marvel lore knowing overlord who already knows whats going to happen in the movies

Okay so I read through a few lists on where to start in marvel comics the only other comics i've read are rat queens, scott pilgrim, saga and papergirls i'm planning on starting with black widow, the vision, thunderbolts, usavengers, captain america:steve rogers, ca:sam wilson (I really wanna know what this cap turning evil thing is about) but don't know where to go from there. I watched every marvel movie that has come out to this day so I know a bit of what's what in the mcu, I also would like to know which issues of what comics are the upcoming marvel movies based on?(thor:ragnarok) (guardians of the galaxy) (INFINITYY WAAAR) and I wanna read those and feel like I know a lot more than movie watching fans. So overall the three questions I have are:
    1)which modern comics would you recommend that don't require much knowledge about the mcu
    2)which comics would u recommend that have a LOT of info about the mcu (and aren't too old or long)
    3)which comics are the upcoming marvel movies based on

Side note:I dont like reading old comics but I will read some of those which have a ton of info about the mcu overall
    Side side note:also in modern comics,everyone is eye candy to me (especially tony stark like wtf yesss)

THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCEEE I CANT WAIT TO START READING

Hint. None of us have any idea what is going to happen in the movies. The best we can do is nod sagely and point out where the inspiration came from and speculate based upon that (and hopefully not be proven wrong within the memory of those conversations).
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-29-2017 at 12:27 PM.

BANNED

Well for me last time I bought and read comic books was back in 1996 where I was in high school. I stopped buying comics since I was busy being a high schooler anyway. Sure I missed out on alot of stuff from Marvel an DC and Image but I have been buying alot of old back issues from the comic shop since last year to catch up on old storylines.

As for new modern stuff, well I recently jumped into the new Soule Daredevil series by buying the first two trade paperbacks to catch up before buying the single issues from 15 to 17.

Astonishing X Men series by Joss Whedon i bought in the Ultimate Volume 1 but havent had the time to read it and enjoy.

also Unworthy Thor is pretty good by its own pretty much I guess. But you do need to read catch up on Original Sin to understand Unworthy Thor a little bit better.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Right now Comixology has a free month's trial. You can get a leg up on things there before purchasing a sub either there or on Marvel Unlimited. Marvel Unlimited is either monthly or annual subs depending on what you want to do. New comics take about 6 months to show up there. Either will help you play "catch up" on Captain America's arcs leading to Secret Empire.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-29-2017 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    Well for me last time I bought and read comic books was back in 1996 where I was in high school. I stopped buying comics since I was busy being a high schooler anyway. Sure I missed out on alot of stuff from Marvel an DC and Image but I have been buying alot of old back issues from the comic shop since last year to catch up on old storylines.

As for new modern stuff, well I recently jumped into the new Soule Daredevil series by buying the first two trade paperbacks to catch up before buying the single issues from 15 to 17.

Astonishing X Men series by Joss Whedon i bought in the Ultimate Volume 1 but havent had the time to read it and enjoy.

also Unworthy Thor is pretty good by its own pretty much I guess. But you do need to read catch up on Original Sin to understand Unworthy Thor a little bit better.
    Please don't start with Original Sin.

I was in your position about four or five years ago, not sure where to jump back in. I did some research and worked out which volumes were entirely on Marvel Unlimited and were highly rated by professional reviewers. At the time that was Hickman's Fantastic Four and Gillen's Journey into Mystery. They were both totally captivating and convinced me I should definitely catch up with comics again. Recent runs that have been highly rated by critics are Slott on Spider-Man, Avengers by Hickman, and Thor by Aaron. Since the big reboot, (don't believe the hype Marvel rebooted with Secret Wars) the series that have continued to be great are Thor, Ultimates, ASM (divisive but again don't listen, Slott is comics personified), and of course the Captain America stuff leading into the summer event.

Original Sin was a misstep for me, and you can get away with reading a synopsis.

BANNED

Well, that's your opinion buddy.

Original Sin does help to start with before jumping into Mighty Thor and Unworthy Thor with certain things that affected original Thor.

I have been a long lapsed reader trying to find a foothold back into Marvel in the past month or so, and here is what I'm finding...

Don't worry about it TOO much. Yeah, you will need some context, but at some point you just have to jump in there. The last big event seems to have been Civil War 2, and while reviews for it haven't been super great, it did lay the ground work for the current status quo for the Marvel U and I am finding that there are some good books out there.

As for the second part of your request; there aren't really a ton of comics out there that overly explain or info dump large pieces of the Marvel U in one place. Your best resource for that is probably Wikipedia or one of the Marvel specific Wiki sites.

Thor: Ragnarok will probably pull from current events in the comics in which Thor no longer has his hammer, and it will probably pull pretty heavily from World War Hulk. Probably also from the Thor: Ragnarok story arc from 2004. Though be warned. Whatever we got on screen is likely to vary WILDLY from what you'll read in these comics.

Guardians 2..... well..... you might as well just read the modern Guardians book. Before the first movie these characters were practically out of print, and the movie version is a pretty different take on all of them anyway. You won't really gain anything by trying to find older stuff to read.

Infinity War is probably going to pull mostly from the Infinity Gauntlet mini series from 1991. But if you don't want to read older comics, you might want to steer clear of this one. It is very of its time.

Just to be clear, none of us know anything about where these movies are going that the general audience couldn't figure out on their own. We just get the little winks and nods in the form of cameos and easter eggs that other people might miss. Nothing important. Not one of the movies has been a direct adaptation of anything, and things have been changed about every character and concept. Some a little, and some to an almost unrecognizable degree.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    Well, that's your opinion buddy.

Original Sin does help to start with before jumping into Mighty Thor and Unworthy Thor with certain things that affected original Thor.
    Well it's kind of in the middle of Aaron's Thor, and it's the kind of story and art that can put people off of comics. It is indeed an opinion, and it's a very strong one. The relevance to Tbor is half an issue at most, and if anything the Thor and Loki side story is much better.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-29-2017 at 11:49 PM.

Incredible Member

I recommend Marvel Unlimited. it's $100 per year but it gives you access to 10's of thousands of comics. More are released all the time and the newer stuff gets added 6 months after release. Use this to find the characters or stories you like and go from there.

For the first question, you can jump in at anytime. Digital will always have and previous issues you need to catch up to the current story arc, or you can just grab the trades of the story arcs you missed out on. Continuity only really matters with the current writer. Majority of the time as soon as a new writer takes over, previous continuity is disregarded or mildly referenced. Especially any book by Bendis, forget about any characterization or storylines of the past, he just don't give a rat's ass about that stuff. There's maybe 2 writers at Marvel right now who care about continuity.

Here's a few of the ongoings I'll recommend you check out. Old Man Logan, Punisher, Black Panther, Black Panther and the Crew, Ultimates2, Royals, Black Bolt, All New Guardians of the Galaxy (hopes are high with Duggan as the writer), All-New Wolverine, Ms. Marvel, and Weapon X.

As for Guardians of the Galaxy. If you want the version of the characters that act like they do in the movies, then the run by Brian Bendis is the one to read. However if you want to read the good GOTG, then here is the list of books in reading order. Annihilation Conquest -> GOTG by Abnett and Lanning.

Yes Marvel Unlimited is a no brainier in this situation. And if you are careful how you do it you can avoid renewals using gifting options, so you could theoretically subscribe for only the months you have time to dip into the huge library and for months when you are busy just skip it for a while.