Apologies this will be a long post.

I need to start at the beginning.

Before Thor/Odinson picked up Mjonlir he was Thor. He was the first Thor. Everyone else who picks up the hammer they take his name, they take on a version of his appearance. No other god has someone take their mantle – there is only one Loki, one Hela, one Heimdall, one Sif etc. The original Thor is special.

So what makes him special – it is his constant striving to be worthy. When King Thor asks Thor the question he knows the answer to ‘What if Gorr is right?’ Thor answers correctly we strive to do better. Latter in that issue we explicitly told that Thor is unsure if he will be worthy until he picks up the hammer, he needs to constantly strive for worthiness. This is repeated in a conversation with Jane in Unworthy Thor #4. This is a key point – Thor is determining what it means to be worthy – not Mjolnir, not Odin.

Mjolnir, is however, semi sentient (as shown in issue 12), she knows Thor, she recognises why Thor is special.

So, when he hears the whisper and his fears are confirmed – he, Thor, self determines that he is unworthy and all the other gods as well – this is why Odin can’t pick up Mjolnir.

But Mjolnir ‘knows’ that we need a Thor. Who would Thor/Odinson choose as worthy? We have many scenes of the mutual love and respect that Jane and Odinson have shown each other – on the moon before Odinson became unworthy, a conversation in Asgard after he is, two separate conversations in Unworthy Thor #4. It doesn’t hurt that Jane is a mortal because Mjolnir supports Thor – all gods are unworthy.

Want more proof of Jane’s importance to Odinson?
When King Thor is rebuilding the Earth one of the first two rivers is named Jane (sidenote the third river is named Roz – I strongly suspect she will become important later). In the annual Thor and his grand daughters recreate life – the first woman he names Jane.

Speaking of the annual the middle story has Jane on adventure with the warriors three. She knows she is worthy because Mjolnir told her so – this is Odinson telling her so. I mistook her attitude for righteousness this is why she is so sure of herself.

Mjolnir knows how important Jane is to Odinson – she is pulling out all her tricks to help Jane – see issue 11. It is why she is so good with ‘limited’ training.

Want more proof of Thor determining who is worthy?
Freya mentions that she should have picked up Mjolnir when she had the chance. We have seen scenes of the mutual respect of these two characters (e.g. Unworthy Thor #4)

When Odinson was searching for who might be the new Thor he only searched amongst women he knew – he gave up when he eliminated them all. He didn’t search for anyone he didn’t know. At the time I found that strange.

Who is War Thor? Again it is someone who Thor knows, someone he respects, this character is worthy but not the most worthy – fits Volstagg to a tee (yes this a prediction).

I want to now circle back to King Thor recreating Earth. I didn’t mention who the other river was named after or the name of the first man created. It was Steve. That is right Captain America. Thor and Captain America have mutual respect for each other – and have had for a long time. The semi-sentient Mjolnir would know this.

So, True Believers, if you have been following the bread crumbs, you can’t help but come to the conclusion that Aaron has been planning on having some version of Captain America lift Mjolnir all along!

OK that is my theory. I’m sure that there are those that think this is hogwash. Please feel free – I implore you – prod my theory, poke holes in it, blow it up. Some of what I’ve said might be obvious to others but sometimes I’m a little slow, sorry.

I’ll point out that all my evidence comes from continuity since Aaron took over. I know very little of the details from other writers and I know that might annoy some people. I will mention that I’m aware that Captain America has previously lifted Mjolnir.