Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Could The Next Batman Film Feature Red Hood?

So while I haven't heard anything official, I would assume there will definitely be a solo Batman movie with Affleck. After watching animated Under the Red Hood and talking with some people, I see a decent amount of support for live-action Red Hood. I would welcome it, too.

Then I thought "would it actually work in the DCEU?" I actually like the DCEU but there's no denying the Batman there is more ruthless than usual. One of the central points of characters like Red Hood or Azrael before him seems to be to put Batman up against a "darker" Batman. Someone even more broken than he is. Batman almost looks idealistic in comparison.

That...doesn't really describe DCEU Batman.

But maybe I'm missing something, which is why I wanted to get the opinion of more informed Batman fans. Do you think the story of Red Hood can work in the DCEU?

Marvel and DC are more folklore than anything else so i think you can adapt any story, just depends on your angle or interest.

I think the problem with doing under the red hood is DCEU batman is one that has killed so you would have to focus more on why he refuses to kill joker versus why he doesnt kill in general.

The fact that he has killed but hasnt killed the joker would piss Jason off more than he was in the original movie. I think it might be easier just to not bring him back and focus on other characters like Azrael.

Im not tryibg to toss shade on Jason because Under the red hood was my favorite Bat movie, im just trying to be pragmatic.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-30-2017 at 07:36 AM.

Incredible Member

There's a YouTube video about how batfleck solo is going to be UTRH style but with it turning out Joker is Jason. There's all sorts of circumstantial evidence and speculation about it

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

It would be awesome if it did. I wonder who would be a good fit to play Jason?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    It would be awesome if it did. I wonder who would be a good fit to play Jason?
    If they can get the guys from Prison Break back together to play Captain Cold and Heatwave, I see no reason why we can't have Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles as Dick and Jason.

Bob Morley is a good actor.

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    If they can get the guys from Prison Break back together to play Captain Cold and Heatwave, I see no reason why we can't have Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles as Dick and Jason.
    whaaaa but they're like 40. And they're nearly the same age as Ben.

I wonder how a movie would tackle the resurrection angle? Superboy Prime is obviously not an option, and the Lazarus pit would require a lot of setup and explanation as well as severely reducing the gravitas of future character deaths.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Amazing Member

Under the Hood is one of my favorite Batman arcs, but I don't think there's any way they could cover all the necessary ground in one movie and make it as powerful as it needs to be (this is why I think the TV series format is better suited for most comic stories). Also, it's very similar to Winter Soldier, so better to steer clear of the "dead sidekick comes back to life, battles mentor" storyline than risk copycatting Marvel.

Tbf they already adapted Under the red hood as a standalone movie so the setup isnt the problem. Its just you have to rethink the conflict of the story because the DCEU Batman has crossed his one line.

If they get Dick's character right, UTRH could actully work better as Nightwing's story rather than Batman's in DCEU.
    But overrall, no matter how much I love Jason, I think he should either not appear as Red Hood in DCEU at all or much-much later.

BANNED

They already planted the seeds. Harley and Joker being the culprits, Harley on SS, the costume, the timeline. You just need to sort out the especific conflit. You don`t need to mention how he gets brought back. That`s not essential to the story or character arcs one bit. It`s a easter egg to be savored later on.

Whether it`s in this movie or later, he`s bound to show up. It`s Money.

I think if Nolan had a next Batfilm, that cop character could be the Red Hood when he realizes he can't do what Batman can and is traumatize when his mistakes leads to death(s) which causes Batman to come back..

Depends on what Matt Reeves does. He's pretty much rewriting the script from scratch so things will change

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd like to see Batman take on some less superhero-y villians and crimes. Bring back the detective in him. Go for the neo-noir vibe. Batman tracking down missing persons and fighting traffickers. Solving weird occult crimes. Uncovering conspiracies and finding serial killers. He's fought the Joker enough. We don't need a dead Robin as his enemy.

Everyone is assuming the "red hood" story arc would play out in the current timeline taking place after Justice League. But what if the whole "Jason returning and seeking vengeance" is told in flashbacks while Bruce is solving a current mystery, one that reminds him of Jason. Maybe villains are being killed again and he suspects Jason is back. He did say to Alfred "How many good guys are left in Gotham? How many [I]stayed that way?" Which leads me to believe that he has already had the UTRH story happen to him. But he still sees that suit in the cave as a reminder of his "failure" much akin to how Bruce feels in comics about Jason. That he failed him , even though he came back.

UTRH is still a completely plausible (and honestly the best option) story for the next Batman movie.
    "Beware my Power..."

"I'M THE G#&-&@™√ BATMAN" - Batman

"The best bottle of single-malt I've ever tasted was uncorked by someone trying to sell me Loch Ness Monster pups..." - John Constantine