Default Early X-Men Recommendations

I was looking into reading stories about the X-Men when they first started and got recommended a couple options

1. The Lee/Kirby run from back in the day
    2. X-Men: First Class
    3. X-Men: Season One (Graphic Novel)

Which one is the general recommendation for people trying to read about that era? I figured I might read a few issues of the original just to check out how the entire thing started and then read Season One followed by First Class.

Is that a reasonable way of tackling that or are there some of these that I should leave out altogether?

I guess it doesn't hurt to read a bit of the first ones, though they're not that good. Season One is it's own universe and it's a different version of the early O5 days. First Class is supposed to be canon, but not like anyone will acknowledge it... They're both really fun imo.

Spectacular Member

Season One and First Class are a lot of fun. Worth reading those for sure. The original X-Men run can be a bit boring but no harm in trying it out.

Yea I think I may read 3 or 4 issues of the original run just to get a feel for how the characters were originally conceptualized and then read the other two in their entirety

Do Season One and first Class cross over in any way? Does it matter which one I read first? I'm leaning towards Season One because it's just one graphic novel.

Extraordinary Member

The Lee/Kirby run (issues 1-17) is not their best work, but it does introduce a lot of concepts that would be important for the X-Men after they got popular: the Sentinels, the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, the Savage Land, etc. Just read it expecting it to be cheesy and it'll be decent fun.

The Sentinel story (issues 14-16) is probably the most famous from that run as it introduced both the Sentinels and the idea of anti-mutant hysteria in the media. The Juggernaut is from issues 12-13, the Savage Land from issue 10, and the original Brotherhood in issue 4.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Do Season One and first Class cross over in any way? Does it matter which one I read first? I'm leaning towards Season One because it's just one graphic novel.
    No, there is no crossover between them. Reading Season One first followed by First Class works fine.

Btw, there were 2 series of "X-Men First Class" plus a few other "First Class books". See the list here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men:...)#Publications

Quote Originally Posted by gotunandan View Post
    No, there is no crossover between them. Reading Season One first followed by First Class works fine.

Btw, there were 2 series of "X-Men First Class" plus a few other "First Class books". See the list here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men:...)#Publications
    Thank you!

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I was looking into reading stories about the X-Men when they first started and got recommended a couple options

1. The Lee/Kirby run from back in the day
    2. X-Men: First Class
    3. X-Men: Season One (Graphic Novel)

Which one is the general recommendation for people trying to read about that era? I figured I might read a few issues of the original just to check out how the entire thing started and then read Season One followed by First Class.

Is that a reasonable way of tackling that or are there some of these that I should leave out altogether?
    Of those three, I would read #1. Then #2 and #3. That is my preference.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Of those three, I would read #1. Then #2 and #3. That is my preference.
    Do you think I should read 2 and 3 in that order or the other way around?