Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default "Beloved Mainstay" Speculation

Surprised to see that this isn't already being discussed (if it is my search didn't turn it up).

Marvel has announced that, and I quote: "Earth-shattering return of a beloved Marvel mainstay" as a result of this event/relaunch/reboot/whatever.

I've seen some speculating or hoping for the original Captain Marvel. Some are speculating it may be the Fantastic Four. Maybe it's Wolverine or Jean Grey. Who knows? Thorgi on YouTube even put forth the idea of undoing One More Day and restoring the MJ-Peter marriage in the pages of Spider Man.

I'm honestly not really leaning in any direction on this. My gut keeps wanting to say Wolverine because he is such a high profile character that used to permeate every corner of the Marvel U and is still one of their most recognizable characters , but he has been replaced in triple within the world, so I don't really know what Marvel would do with Jimmy, OML, or especially Laura. Plus he's an X-Men character that Disney can't make movies out of, though I hope they are finally getting out of the habit of burying characters in similar situations.

So without further ado...

LET THERE BE SPECULATIONS!!!!
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

It won't be the marriage because Renew Your Vows has to be unique and different to the main universe, not Wolverine because of Logan's success/Jimmy, Laura, and OML, and original Captain Marvel would be interesting but no one's really clamoring for him to return.

Fantastic Four is really the most likely choice. People want them back, there's a lot of references to them, it just makes sense. Now they could do a big swerve, but, I doubt it'll be anything like adult Jean coming back or any of the other things.

If someone has a favorite character who is currently dead, they will really want the "Beloved Mainstay" to be that character, which is I think why there's such a wide number of guesses. I don't have a particular attachment to any characters that are currently dead, though. I think the most likely candidate is probably Bruce Banner, even though i totally realize he hasn't been dead all that long. It's not based on anything really concrete, admitteldy. He did have one of those corner box portraits though, (but so did a number of other dead characters) and his death was related to the whole Hydra Cap thing (Steve had nudged things towards his death) so if some of the things Steve did while in hydra mode gets undone, then Banner may be resurrected retroactively by having never died.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    Fantastic Four is really the most likely choice. People want them back, there's a lot of references to them, it just makes sense. Now they could do a big swerve, but, I doubt it'll be anything like adult Jean coming back or any of the other things.
    This, definitely this.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

I also say it's the Fantastic Four...Nothing says Legacy like the book that started it all...

It has been mentioned by marvel in a few different contexts now and I believe the only one compatible with all of those is the Fantasic Four or more specifically Reed Richards. Also, contextually, Marvel and Fox are on better terms now, and working on TV projects with joint production credits and I suspect Marvel have a veto power over some things. This situation has allowed Marvel to go market X-Books to coincide with the last movie, and now reboot the X-Books to allow them a higher profile. The FF are just the next step in this process. I would be willing to bet that any future Fox project with those characters will have at least input from Marvel in some form.

As I said in another thread, I am surprised this isn't bigger news right now. Since when has not knowing the facts stopped the internet press from splashing the story everywhere? The cynical part of me suspects it is too positive a news story to garner controversy against Marvel.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-30-2017 at 02:11 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    It has been mentioned by marvel in a few different contexts now and I believe the only one compatible with all of those is the Fantasic Four or more specifically Reed Richards. Also, contextually, Marvel and Fox are on better terms now, and working on TV projects with joint production credits and I suspect Marvel have a veto power over some things. This situation has allowed Marvel to go market X-Books to coincide with the last movie, and now reboot the X-Books to allow them a higher profile. The FF are just the next step in this process. I would be willing to bet that any future Fox project with those characters will have at least input from Marvel in some form.

As I said in another thread, I am surprised this isn't bigger news right now. Since when has not knowing the facts stopped the internet press from splashing the story everywhere? The cynical part of me suspects it is too positive a news story to garner controversy against Marvel.
    Yes to the bolded part. There's a segment of the online comic book press who doesn't want to run a story about Marvel that they can't put a negative spin on.

As for the reveal, if it isn't Reed and Sue I'll be surprised. If you're talking about bringing back a mainstay of the MU, something fans continually ask about, it's Reed and Sue and bringing back the FF. Maybe that isn't it but I can't think of anything else that would have the same kind of impact and that would be more worthy of the title "Legacy."

My theory is that Aaron and Ribic will be on an ongoing FF title and that Legacy will be the springboard for that.

Now, I don't want to get too excited about that specific possibility as it'd be a bummer if it didn't turn out to be true but Reed and Sue seems like a lock and if Marvel is going to do a new FF book, they're going to want to put an A-list team on it and Aaron and Ribic fit that bill so I feel moderately confident about that speculation.

I also wonder if the The Watcher is going to be brought back. Definitely a "Marvel mainstay" but probably not a character whose return would "break the internet."

If it isn't Reed and Sue it will be Banner. I'd be surprised if it was anyone else.

I have been getting excited for an Aaron Fantastic Four ever since the news broke. But I don't expect Ribic on the title, even though he is one of my favourite artists.

I refuse to get my hopes up in thinking it's the return of the Fantastic Four.

It will probably be Banner or maybe Thor getting his hammer back to coincide with the movie.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Right now, I agree with the general consensus that the "beloved mainstay" is referring to the Fantastic Four. It really does seem like there's been a thaw in the relationship between Fox and Marvel. We're seeing X-men showing up in other media again. They're showing up in video games and toy lines. It seems as though Marvel and Fox are actually working together again. Maybe that means they're ready to bring the Fantastic Four back into the fold as part of their new "meat and potatoes" approach. It seems the most likely, but it could just as easily be another ruse. Marvel hasn't been above using them before. This may be one of them.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I have been getting excited for an Aaron Fantastic Four ever since the news broke. But I don't expect Ribic on the title, even though he is one of my favourite artists.
    Yeah, Ribic might be a long shot on a new ongoing but Aaron on FF seems very plausible to me.

It can only be refering to the return of US 1.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I'd love for it to be Mar-Vell or adult Jean Grey, but I'm not holding my breath for that. I agree with everyone that FF seems like the most convenient choice, although how earth-shattering can it be if it's something most people are expecting already? The last time they ''broke the internet'' was with CapHydra, something REALLY out of the blue and that caught everyone by surprise. So part of me wants that because it's about damn time, but also thinks it's too predictable and would like the element of surprise.

I hadn't thought about One More Day being undone, but that's definitely a good choice for something unexpected and that would break the internet. And honestly, nothing against those characters, but if it turns out to be Banner or Logan it's just gonna be the least exciting return ever. Banner is just so recent and OML EVERYWHERE in the main universe makes it hard to feel like the return of original Logan is actually necessary.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 04-30-2017 at 06:24 AM.

Invincible Member

It will be Woodgod.