View Poll Results: Will you buy a new FF book?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 34.07%
  • No

19 20.88%
  • Depends of the creative team

41 45.05%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

It is one of Marvel's best properties I would hope it would be written well but there aren't many Marvel properties out there that are written well these days. Hey maybe Reed and Franklin can do me a solid and resurrect Mar-vell (and Genis and Phyla & Hank Pym) for me.

Since Secret Wars ended, I've found myself buying back issues of the entire runs of Byrne, Waid/Wieringo, and Hickman... I think I'm ready for the return.

I would argue in favour of Marvel holding off on the Fantastic Four for a couple more years. I don't think it's been long enough yet to really get enough people truly excited.

As for my preferred writer: Magdalene Visaggio or Jen Van Meter. Or Mariko Tamaki.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    Wait, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Bendis' the one who had Doom calling then Ms. Marvel Carol Danvers a cow and a wh*re? I guess his grip on the character has improved since then but at the time I was going 'WTH?'
    You are correct about that panel, but I'm referring to current Doctor Doom over in Infamous Iron man (and the prior arc within Invincible Iron man). Which not Hickman, Bendis is perfectly fine with Victor as far as depictions go and leans close to how Victor was depicted in 2099. It's also probably why his depiction of Victor as of now doesn't feel that off considering it's not far off from prior depictions (though 2099 was a bit more chatty, Infamous does have some funny snark to him). Bendis overall does fine with Infamous Iron man Victor, the only major problem being is that the book doesn't come out often enough so things drag because it's a monthly.

I think he has improved immensely with Victor if Infamous Iron man is anything to go by, the Fantastic Four I'm not sure on, but I feel as if he has a workable voice for Victor. Considering stories ultimately work their way back to Doom I think he would do an adequate job, but I don't blame anyone for being apprehensive about Bendis potentially on the title.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    You are correct about that panel, but I'm referring to current Doctor Doom over in Infamous Iron man (and the prior arc within Invincible Iron man). Which not Hickman, Bendis is perfectly fine with Victor as far as depictions go and leans close to how Victor was depicted in 2099. It's also probably why his depiction of Victor as of now doesn't feel that off considering it's not far off from prior depictions (though 2099 was a bit more chatty, Infamous does have some funny snark to him). Bendis overall does fine with Infamous Iron man Victor, the only major problem being is that the book doesn't come out often enough so things drag because it's a monthly.

I think he has improved immensely with Victor if Infamous Iron man is anything to go by, the Fantastic Four I'm not sure on, but I feel as if he has a workable voice for Victor. Considering stories ultimately work their way back to Doom I think he would do an adequate job, but I don't blame anyone for being apprehensive about Bendis potentially on the title.
    I have not read those, so this is good news. And while I will would pass on it if he were to write FF, I can see why you would have higher hopes that some others of us.

Frankly, IF he were to get the FF, I would love to hear news that I was wrong and it was great stuff

But I still have hopes out for Ewing or Slott... or , of course, a return of Waid
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    Wait, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Bendis' the one who had Doom calling then Ms. Marvel Carol Danvers a cow and a wh*re? I guess his grip on the character has improved since then but at the time I was going 'WTH?'
    doom specifically called carol a "fat piece of furniture"

I'd want Slott rather than Ewing to write the FF.
    If Ewing wrote it, that would be less time for him to write the characters only he cares about.

Astonishing Member

As far as writers go, my first pick would be Slott.

My second and third would G. Willow Wilson or AL Ewing.

My artist would be Paco Medina, who is about as close to Ringo as you are going to get.

Casseli or Samnee would be my next choices.

As far as distance making the heart grow fonder..... Not really. A new FF book should have launched after Secret War.Reed and Tchalla saved the universe, why let that momentum fade.
    I would make this a space,time traveling, and dimension hopping book. I would stay as far away from the quagmire of 616 New York as possible.

Black Science is a lot like the FF book, I like to see.

Invincible Member

It would depend on the pitch and the creative team. Marvel and DC have decent writers and artists, but not all of them a feel for crazy sci-fi adventures yarns.

That's another thing, the sci-fi should be forward looking sci-fi. The comic shouldn't read like "let's do it like Kirby, let's do it like Byrne."

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I would argue in favour of Marvel holding off on the Fantastic Four for a couple more years. I don't think it's been long enough yet to really get enough people truly excited.

As for my preferred writer: Magdalene Visaggio or Jen Van Meter. Or Mariko Tamaki.
    Here's where I see the challenge for Marvel. They COULD do an FF that would be adequate and sell enough to make a small profit and stay around for a long time, albeit not impressively. There are at least a dozen writers who could handle that job and reach that level of acceptance. I'm guessing there are numerous writers making FF pitches.

However (and I am probably projecting here), I think (hope) Marvel wants a truly great relaunch befitting their first family. I've mentioned the part of FF I've found incredible, forward-thinking, and what separates them from other books. Reaching this would necessitate a gamble and potential failure.

I'm only familiar with Tamaki's Hulk stories (out of your writer picks), but the difference in focus there could be incredible for FF. What is going to keep numbers up is content, stories and material. A big-name creative team may get people in on issue 646, however keeping the dropoff from being too steep would require quality material. And that, as I've said before, is taking the superhero comic to the next level, as was done in the sixties.

Personally, I'd love to read a different attempt and focus. I've been collecting the FF for well over 40 years and redoing Lee/Kirby, Byrne, or even Hickman isn't enough. The FF needs to be innovative.

Fantastic Member victor borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    The last time I regularly bought the FF (as in monthly, and not just a scattered issue here and there that caught my eye) was when Byrne was drawing/writing it, so it's been awhile... I like three out of the four of them (Ben, Sue and Johnny), but just can't seem to get past where the first Civil War left Reed.

So, yeah, definitely depends on the creative team for me. And the line-up. I didn't really get into the 'Fantastic Four' book starring Scott Lang, Darla Deering, She-Hulk and Medusa. Swapping out She-Hulk for the Thing, temporarily, worked for me. Bigger changes, not so much.
    agreed. it really depends on the creative team. I only bought FF during the entire Byrne run because the stories and art were great.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Here's where I see the challenge for Marvel. They COULD do an FF that would be adequate and sell enough to make a small profit and stay around for a long time, albeit not impressively. There are at least a dozen writers who could handle that job and reach that level of acceptance. I'm guessing there are numerous writers making FF pitches.

However (and I am probably projecting here), I think (hope) Marvel wants a truly great relaunch befitting their first family. I've mentioned the part of FF I've found incredible, forward-thinking, and what separates them from other books. Reaching this would necessitate a gamble and potential failure.

I'm only familiar with Tamaki's Hulk stories (out of your writer picks), but the difference in focus there could be incredible for FF. What is going to keep numbers up is content, stories and material. A big-name creative team may get people in on issue 646, however keeping the dropoff from being too steep would require quality material. And that, as I've said before, is taking the superhero comic to the next level, as was done in the sixties.

Personally, I'd love to read a different attempt and focus. I've been collecting the FF for well over 40 years and redoing Lee/Kirby, Byrne, or even Hickman isn't enough. The FF needs to be innovative.
    I agree. The next writer needs to not be afraid to take risks and carve a new path for the team. Too many have tried to pay homage to Lee/Kirby and Byrne runs, when the FF should be about moving forward not repeating history.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I honestly don't think it would sell well unless Marvel Studios​ gets the F4 rights back and makes a movie that brings in lots of new fans.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

The poll question and the title of the thread pose two different questions:

Would I buy a new FF title? No, but that's only because I don't think those characters are interesting. It's just a taste thing. I also don't buy Iron Man or Captain America. I buy X-Men and Thor, and generally that's it. I might be convinced otherwise if it's some dimension-hopping story like Exiles or Spider-Verse (which they kinda set up at the end of Secret Wars).

Would people buy a new FF title? Absolutely. I think a new FF title, with a good creative team and a solid premise, would sell really well. The reason they aren't doing that confuses me. But unless there's a specific narrative reason for leaving them alone, it ranges between "unclear" and "conspiracy theories about Fox movie rights" (which I personally don't think is the issue).

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    I honestly don't think it would sell well unless Marvel Studios​ gets the F4 rights back and makes a movie that brings in lots of new fans.
    True, you would either need a really good movie (regardless of who makes it), or you would need your book to appeal mostly to pre-existing FF fans. Or possibly make sure that your FF cast includes some other popular heroes that newer fans appreciate.

Incredible Member

No if Bendis is involved. Yes if Slott is involved. I absolutely loved his Thing solo book. Nailed the character, and made it fun. Just what the FF should be.