Default Should Warner use Harry Potter as their template for future DC movies?

As we know, the DC universe is a lot more fantastical and, no denying it, weird than it's Marvel Counterpart. This got me thinking that perhaps the best way to adapt the DCU faithfully on screen is to aim for something like the Harry Potter movies from Prisoner of Azkaban onwards. For anyone who hasn't seen them, those movies were able to embrace their goofy and whimsical elements, while still having emotional depth and heart. Also, to use Harry Potter as an example again, I don't think it's too late for Warner Bros to change up their tone cinematically since their first two HP movies were actually pretty grounded and somewhat drab visually, with Prisoner of Azkaban being a complete 180 that, never-the-less, still fit with the previous films continuity wise. Hope I'm not offending any fans with the first part of my statement, since I myself still enjoy Philosopher's stone and Chamber of Secrets, as well as Man of Steel (But not Batman v Superman, sorry).

So, to cap it off, should Warner apply more of a Potter tone to their DC films (heartfelt, but whimsical), or would you rather they stick with the tone they currently have (heartfelt, but extremely serious)?
    Last edited by CharlesInCharge; 05-01-2017 at 09:44 AM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I think they're probably already going for the heartfelt-whimsical switch with Justice League. One of the main gripes casual audiences have with the movies is that they "take themselves too seriously", they seem to find it incredulous that something that fictional can be that serious, and most seem to need a bit more humor in their blockbusters anyway. I'll probably like it less but still like it and it will be more successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    I think they're probably already going for the heartfelt-whimsical switch with Justice League. One of the main gripes casual audiences have with the movies is that they "take themselves too seriously", they seem to find it incredulous that something that fictional can be that serious, and most seem to need a bit more humor in their blockbusters anyway. I'll probably like it less but still like it and it will be more successful.
    Movies that make the audience feel good will most often have better ticket sales.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Movies that make the audience feel good will most often have better ticket sales.
    Generally, sure, unless there's some broader theme that the audience considers worth feeling negative emotions over. Titanic, Brokeback Mountain, 12 Years a Slave, the various War and Holocaust movies, etc. are all pretty depressing. Audiences don't seem as willing to feel consistently sad about fiction, and especially not superhero movies. (Not that it's the only reason people didn't like the movies, but a big one IMO)

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Generally, sure, unless there's some broader theme that the audience considers worth feeling negative emotions over. Titanic, Brokeback Mountain, 12 Years a Slave, the various War and Holocaust movies, etc. are all pretty depressing. Audiences don't seem as willing to feel consistently sad about fiction, and especially not superhero movies. (Not that it's the only reason people didn't like the movies, but a big one IMO)
    Yeah, for me superheroes isn't just one genre. Its many depending on the hero adapted but that's just me. I'm down for a downer, too.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

With the addition of Joss Whedon on Batgirl and Matt Reeves on Batman, and the potential addition of Matthew Vaughn on Superman, I think the DC movies seem to be getting back on track not by emulating either Marvel or Harry Potter, but by simply getting good creative people to tell stories with DC characters they are passionate about.

As someone who never cared to watch any of the Harry Potter movies I would have to say NO. However WB's DC movies do need to have a different 'voice' than Marvel's.

I've much preferred the DC movies (except Man of Steel) to the Harry Potter ones (except Prisoner of Azkaban and Order of the Phoenix) so I hope not.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Yeah, for me superheroes isn't just one genre. Its many depending on the hero adapted but that's just me. I'm down for a downer, too.
    Yes, superhero films shouldn't have to follow a single template. If that were the case, it would get boring after a while.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?