Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Tell that to the writers. They're the ones who keep drawing attention to it.
    Except even when they don't, fans still bring it up.

Do you really think every single comic brings this up? We get a "why doesn't hero x just kill villain y" response every time a villain breaks out of prison.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Except even when they don't, fans still bring it up.

Do you really think every single comic brings this up? We get a "why doesn't hero x just kill villain y" response every time a villain breaks out of prison.
    It gets brought up every time a villain goes on a rampage that puts real life terrorists and war criminals to shame. There's a reason people ask this question of the comics Batman and not, say, the one from the Brave and the Bold cartoon. Hell, it wasn't too long ago this question came up in regards to the comics when Kate killed Clayface to save Cass.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It gets brought up every time a villain goes on a rampage that puts real life terrorists and war criminals to shame. There's a reason people ask this question of the comics Batman and not, say, the one from the Brave and the Bold cartoon. Hell, it wasn't too long ago this question came up in regards to the comics when Kate killed Clayface to save Cass.
    I know the preferable option is just to tone down the villains a great deal, but that doesn't seem to be what most writers want to write or what the audience even expects now. Should it just not be brought up period?

Regardless, we've already brought up the real reason nobody kills the villains. We saw the man behind the curtain a long ass time ago. If the writing is otherwise strong enough that people can roll with it, what does it matter? If it gets too stupid, it's not like fans don't drop it until a new writer comes on board.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I know the preferable option is just to tone down the villains a great deal, but that doesn't seem to be what most writers want to write or what the audience even expects now. Should it just not be brought up period?
    Ideally, yes.

Regardless, we've already brought up the real reason nobody kills the villains. We saw the man behind the curtain a long ass time ago. If the writing is otherwise strong enough that people can roll with it, what does it matter? If it gets too stupid, it's not like fans don't drop it until a new writer comes on board.
    I'd say drawing attention to it in the first place is a sign of the writing not being strong enough.

I'd say drawing attention to it in the first place is a sign of the writing not being strong enough.
    Or every writer feels the need to deconstruct the franchise they're working on at some point.

Ultimate Member

How was I going meta?.
    When you describe Batman as the main protagonist. Keeping criminals locked up isn't his responsibility, indeed, stopping them is his hobby, not profession.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I don't remember if I've answered this or not but Batman doesn't kill because he associates killing with the death of his parents

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Or every writer feels the need to deconstruct the franchise they're working on at some point.
    I think that's the biggest problem comics have had for the last decade or so. Everyone wants to deconstruct, but nobody want to build up. Everyone wants to show how horrible the superhero stuff is and nobody wants to show how awesome it can be anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    When you describe Batman as the main protagonist. Keeping criminals locked up isn't his responsibility, indeed, stopping them is his hobby, not profession.
    He sure treats it like a profession.

Ultimate Member

He sure treats it like a profession.
    Hey, some hobbyists are very obsessive

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I don't remember if I've answered this or not but Batman doesn't kill because he associates killing with the death of his parents
    That's why he does what makes him feel better, not what it's necessarily the best option for his city.

Amazing Member

Ehh... I'm okay with Batman killing someone like Hitler or 9/11 terrorists. So if he kills Joker or Darkseid, I'm good. Are we argue against this? The better question is should Batman get therapy.

In my personal opinion Batman values not killing over the quality of life. Batman would be against abortion or euthanasia because he sees it something like "sin" or morally bad. I'm against this view but I respect it. Death is ugly but for some people so is their life.

Spectacular Member

Just read the first part of the Killing Academy story by Gerry Conway. Batman beats up two thugs and throws one of them in the harbor. The crook can't swim, Batman growls he might throw him something if he talks. The floundering thug spills his guts about the Academy. Batman turns away, his victim pleads: weren't you going to throw me something? And Batman does - he throws the other, unconscious thug in the water. We do not see what happens next but the implication is very strongly that Bruce Wayne heroically lets two men drown. So: in the '70s, Batman DID kill, and sometimes even intentionally. High time we went back to those days to get rid of Joker forever.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrswing View Post
    Just read the first part of the Killing Academy story by Gerry Conway. Batman beats up two thugs and throws one of them in the harbor. The crook can't swim, Batman growls he might throw him something if he talks. The floundering thug spills his guts about the Academy. Batman turns away, his victim pleads: weren't you going to throw me something? And Batman does - he throws the other, unconscious thug in the water. We do not see what happens next but the implication is very strongly that Bruce Wayne heroically lets two men drown. So: in the '70s, Batman DID kill, and sometimes even intentionally. High time we went back to those days to get rid of Joker forever.
    Yeah, we could totally get rid of the Joker forever if he died

BANNED

Its comics. There must always be stories for popular heroes vs popular villains. In real life convicted mass murderers get detained for life. There is nothing wrong with Bats no kill code, only the asylum that fails to detain the insane criminals.