Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I think that's the biggest problem comics have had for the last decade or so. Everyone wants to deconstruct, but nobody want to build up. Everyone wants to show how horrible the superhero stuff is and nobody wants to show how awesome it can be anymore.
    The en vogue form of writing nowadays is subverting expectations and taking risks
    I imagine in comics that will be a lot worse than anything seen in video games and movies

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I think that's the biggest problem comics have had for the last decade or so. Everyone wants to deconstruct, but nobody want to build up. Everyone wants to show how horrible the superhero stuff is and nobody wants to show how awesome it can be anymore.
    Kurt Busiek wrote the same thing twenty five years ago in the preface of Astro City Vol.1, so you (and me) are in good company.

That's a pretty well said about how nobody want to do build up.

Some writers nowdays are more concerned about leaving their marks than just simply writing a good story. I can understand though that modern writers have it harder to write something interesting with characters who are over 50 years and more when everything at this point has been done with them.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    That's a pretty well said about how nobody want to do build up.

Some writers nowdays are more concerned about leaving their marks than just simply writing a good story. I can understand though that modern writers have it harder to write something interesting with characters who are over 50 years and more when everything at this point has been done with them.
    Modern comics have a big issue with doing "joker vs Batman round 9995". How are you going to make the story a good read if it's more of the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It gets brought up every time a villain goes on a rampage that puts real life terrorists and war criminals to shame. There's a reason people ask this question of the comics Batman and not, say, the one from the Brave and the Bold cartoon. Hell, it wasn't too long ago this question came up in regards to the comics when Kate killed Clayface to save Cass.
    Especially when the villain is someone you'd expect to get shot to death by the cops IRL How did he live long enough to escape prison the third time?

BANNED

If you want to make Batman a killer then you don't understand the contrast between him & his villains.

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    If you want to make Batman a killer then you don't understand the contrast between him & his villains.
    This argument is the definition of an empty platitude. If not being a killer is the only thing that differentiates Batman from his villains then he's not as heroic as his fans claim he is.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Modern comics have a big issue with doing "joker vs Batman round 9995". How are you going to make the story a good read if it's more of the same?
    That's what I liked about New52. The characters had met but not too often. Something between 3- 8 times I'd guess.

Villains coming back is just a tradition in comics and I like it. Movies are different and both mediums are better when embracing their advantages.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 07-28-2020 at 11:09 PM.

BANNED

This argument is the definition of an empty platitude. If not being a killer is the only thing that differentiates Batman from his villains then he's not as heroic as his fans claim he is.
    Batman is heroic to a fault. He believes in protecting lives, even if its the lives of worst kind of humans. He doesn't believe in preventing deaths by taking lives argument. You know who believe in that argument? His villains.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 07-28-2020 at 11:38 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, we could totally get rid of the Joker forever if he died
    I like the idea of making Joker a mantle or a spirit that possesses people, rather than be one single guy.

Batman is heroic to a fault. He believes in protecting lives, even if its the lives of worst kind of humans. He doesn't believe in preventing deaths by taking lives argument. You know who believe in that argument? His villains.
    Batman's villains don't believe that. They kill for their own sick amusement not to protect lives. You're basically saying Huntress and Batwoman are villains because they don't follow this rule.

BANNED

Batman's villains don't believe that. They kill for their own sick amusement not to protect lives. You're basically saying Huntress and Batwoman are villains because they don't follow this rule.
    Ra's believes in mass genocide because it would save the human race from further destruction. If you truly believe the preventing deaths by taking lives argument then Ra's should be your greatest hero, not Batman.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 07-29-2020 at 12:18 AM.

Ra's believes in mass genocide because it would save the human race from further destruction.
    You are aware that most Batman villains don't believe this right?

If you truly believe the preventing deaths by taking lives argument then Ra's should be your greatest hero, not Batman.
    This is a straw man argument.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 07-29-2020 at 03:32 AM.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Batman doesn’t kill because...

1. coming up with villains popular enough to move the needle sales wise is hard.
    2. Creators are reluctant to create new villains that they won’t own.
    3. The previous two will create a situation where more good villains are being lost then are being created. And that can sink a book.

Amazing Member

The not killing rule has born was editorial mandate,because heroes need to set a positive example for the kids but in batman case it has become so much more.
    In my opinion it's all part of Bruce's lucid madness.
    Batman is born when his parents were killed,so Batman doesn't kill.
    Bruce parents were killed by a gun,so Batman usually deosn't use fire arms and he detest them.
    It's pratical,logical or sane? No,but we are talking about the guy who spend his nights dressed as a bat.