Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Isn't there a God equivalent in Marvel, "The One Above All" (which is like Stan Lee's face?) and I think Jack Kirby's face is another like super cosmic or something. So those are the closest equivalents to monotheistic real-world religion version of God. (Or Goddess). If you're a Hindu or something pantheistic and have multiple deities, Marvel equivalents to that are just the Cosmic Entities generally I would suppose, like Order, Chaos, Galactus, Phoenix, Living Tribunal, etc. (Possibly retcons destroyed all this mythos I don't read or follow Marvel comics outside X-Men too much)
    Marvel actually has equivalents to the Hindu and Egyptian gods. They are in the same class as the Asgardians and Olympians.

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Was this before or after Uncanny X-Men #102?
    I have no idea. I'm not well-versed in X-Men lore at all.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    Marvel actually has equivalents to the Hindu and Egyptian gods. They are in the same class as the Asgardians and Olympians.
    Yeah, I don't think those are proper analogues to what people mean by "God" though, they're far too fallible and beatable.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

One thing in Wonder Woman that was hilarious was having the Hawaiian volcano goddess Pele get ticked at Wondy and decide to punch her head off. Let's just say Wondy didn't win that fight. [spoiler]she eventually talked Pele out of trying to kill her[/spoiler]
    Quote Originally Posted by Agatha's Ghost View Post
    Cyttorak appears to have some connection to Korea. There must have been previous Juggernauts in the area.
    The temple where Cain Marko found the Crimson Crystal of Cyttorak was located in the Korean jungles.

BANNED

Storm is in her mid-20s (Uncanny 159).
    She was said to be among the eldest X-Men in Uncanny Annual 10, along with Wolverine and Magneto. Older than Psylocke as well, who is also older than the O5.

BANNED

Thor as God of Thunder is just a name. He is not a god to me because I believe in one god and it isnt him.

But if Thor is a god, if Angela is a goddess, if the female Thor is a goddess, then Storm is too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    How? I'm a huge fan of Claremont, but I can understand why his portrayal of the Africans who worshipped Storm might be considered a little problematic by today's standards.
    Claremont didn't actually write that part. That was the original story by Wein and Cockrum.

Secondly, there is nothing wrong with traditional African religions. They are still practiced all over the continent and the Diaspora. I actually find the Western criticisms to be far more problematic. How many people pray to Jesus and pretend to eat his flesh and drink his blood? How often are their prayers answered? At least when the tribesmen called out to Ororo, she appeared. At least when she promised to ease their burdens, it was done.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    She was said to be among the eldest X-Men in Uncanny Annual 10, along with Wolverine and Magneto. Older than Psylocke as well, who is also older than the O5.
    Jean was 24 when she died in DPS. Storm was aged at 25 just before that. They are not that far apart.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    Meggan's related to Baba Yaga. Who is Storm's oldest relative?
    Ayesha, the first human Sorceress Supreme of earth, is the oldest named ancestor, and she was operating about 10,000 BCE. But Ororo's matrilineal line is as old as humanity, so at least 200,000- 3,000,000 years old.

Captain Britain was born in the same year as Jean Greys tombstone birth year. Was shown in the Captain Britain series.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Pak lost like, all respect, for that issue #3. Coates is doing a much better job in this regard, while also questioning the position of 'gods' in modern worldviews.
    Pak did that already in Incredible Hercules. Product placement >>> faith then god worship. Hence the divestment by the Olympus Group

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Captain Britain was born in the same year as Jean Greys tombstone birth year. Was shown in the Captain Britain series.
    Only in X-Treme X-Men Beast recalls lusting over Betsy's modelling photos as a youth. So that is where people think Psylocke is older than the O5(since Hank is the eldest of the 05 by at least a year or two). That said, Betsy could have been their same age or younger, as a lot of models start in their early to mid teens.

God's bargain​ in faith and souls. But faith in product is now the strongest belief out there. Also the birth of the new God's Cryptomnesia Catastrophobia, horrorscope

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Language obscures truth. There is no universal definition for god or goddess. The fact that Ororo has immense powers over nature and that people did in fact worship her would fulfill some definitions.
    I know it's subjective but most gods/goddesses usually fall under that definition. People usually prayed to or worshipped them so they would receive something in return like safe passage or because they were afraid of upsetting them.

Thor as God of Thunder is just a name. He is not a god to me because I believe in one god and it isnt him.
    Thor has actually addressed this before in his title. He may be a god, but he's not GOD. Nor are any of the gods he knows.

Even Odin believes there is a single higher power above them all.