DC Comics Historian

Default Re-examining my Cosmic Hand theory: Manhattan, Oz, The Button, and Superman

If you look on the DC comics and Superman boards I wrote the following a while back about how things are connected to Dr. Manhattan and perhaps even Superboy Prime. The following is what I came up with:

]At the end of Watchmen Doctor Manhattan explains that he may decide to go and create life before leaving Earth indefinitely. Throughout the history of the DC Universe and namely that of COIE, Multiversity, an episode of JLU, and other media a Cosmic hand has been shown manipulating and creating the cosmos and the Universe in DC Comics lore. That hand has always been a pale color but most recently it has been shown to be blue. In Rebirth we see the hand reach down and manipulate things. We see this in many different stories as well.

I posit that Doctor Manhattan is literally that Cosmic Being that has created the DC Universe as his form of life and his power has a side-effect which gives off the DC Universes superpowers in metahuman genes.

I believe that Superboy Prime learns of Doctor Manhattan and Watchmen and after having his own time in places like the Source Wall, living in prison on OA, and also having an Omnibus of knowledge that is the DC catalog he has broken the Universe to finally create the perfect world that he, Kal-L, and Alexander Luthor sought in Infinite Crisis. He is creating things the way that some fans see the Universe logically and he may even be in way over his head as the continuity is utterly broken and he may not be able to keep it straight. I believe that he is Mr. Oz and he is forming an army to take on Dr. Manhattan in order to keep his universe the way he has made and that of Doctor Manhattan is trying to fix the mess he has made.

I believe that Doctor Manhattan is actually the good guy in all of this and it will come to pass that the Watchmen aren't actually characters in the DCU at all but that of another plane of existence. They are however obviously bleeding over into our world. Will we actually see Veidt, Owl, Silk, and Rorschach? I think not. I did have a theory that Rorschach may actually be the new 52's Question as he is cursed and doesn't remember who he is which would be Superboy Prime or even Manhattans way of not letting anyone spill the beans about the Watchmen characters. However, that theory was shot down by Scott Snyder last week at Emerald City Comic Con. So Booo---Urns on that.

However, I would love to hear thoughts on this. I think evidence is mounting that all of this may be the case.

I believe my COSMICC HAND being Manhattan part of the theory is ever more likely with Thawne in Batman 21 saying he saw "GOD". I am not so confident in the Superboy Prime part of my threory. I believe if he was going to show up it would have happened in Reborn if at all. I am honestly back to believing that Mr. Oz is Ozymandias from Watchmen and nothing more. I still believe that Manhattan may be a misunderstood benevolence in all of this though. Everything however about my theory OTHER than Dr. Manhattan being the Cosmic Hand is in flux though until we get to the end of The Button after which I will re-examine this theory again.

Spectacular Member

I'm starting to think we won't see the Watchmen either especially after reading today's Batman #22, atleast not until Geoff Johns main story but even then maybe not? Maybe Manhattan and Ozymandias but am starting to think dc will use the Watchmen time manipulation to simply bring characters and old continuity back into the current events, kind off like they have beeen doing.

While the button has been very enjoyable I think they should have just released it as another 80 page or so one shot, but I don't want to talk too premature there's another issue in two weeks we could get some more info then.

Very plausible and probably the best theory out there...

DC Comics Historian

Now here we are 2 issues in and I think the evidence is almost tantamount to truth at this point. Only Doc Manhattan could bring someone like The Comedian back into this world. I wonder if he has brought back Rorschach as The Question afterall knowing there was a new Rorschach on his earth? Could Snyder have passed off my suggestion to Johns after Emerald City Comic Con? I would be flattered if true.