Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Questions about two very, very obscure characters who appeared briefly in COIE.

As much as I would like to provide scans, I don't have any available, so I'll describe what I mean and hope someone can locate it or recall it from memory.

In the midst of COIE, with the chaos and antimatter spreading across the Multiverse, we were shown a sequence of a few panels in which an ordinary elderly couple sees a ghostly image of their daughter, a young woman dressed like a 1960s hippie.

Does anybody know who these characters were? Were they characters who appeared in some DC romance comic during the late 1960s or early 1970s? Were they included to show how the Crisis was affecting all the characters who inhabited the DC Multiverse, not just the superheroes?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I'm pretty sure it's more likely the latter theory rather then the two being actual, significant, characters.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    As much as I would like to provide scans, I don't have any available, so I'll describe what I mean and hope someone can locate it or recall it from memory.

In the midst of COIE, with the chaos and antimatter spreading across the Multiverse, we were shown a sequence of a few panels in which an ordinary elderly couple sees a ghostly image of their daughter, a young woman dressed like a 1960s hippie.

Does anybody know who these characters were? Were they characters who appeared in some DC romance comic during the late 1960s or early 1970s? Were they included to show how the Crisis was affecting all the characters who inhabited the DC Multiverse, not just the superheroes?

Can you provide the page, or at least issue that was in?
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Can you provide the page, or at least issue that was in?
    No idea, BD. I don't have a copy of COIE with me at the moment. It was in one of those issues when time was mashed together and things were rather chaotic.

It was issue #5 the couple David and Phyllis Gerrold of Earth-2 are seeing an image of their deceased daughter Michelle which is actually her Earth-1 counterpart it was the first and only appearance of the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    It was issue #5 the couple David and Phyllis Gerrold of Earth-2 are seeing an image of their deceased daughter Michelle which is actually her Earth-1 counterpart it was the first and only appearance of the characters.
    Thanks, lonewolf. I suspected the Gerrolds were characters from some DC romance comic, but it turns out they appeared only briefly in COIE for only one purpose: to demonstrate how the Crisis was affecting ordinary people.

I knew this would be about that panel. It actually would've been even cooler if she'd been some long-lost 60's romance comic character. Binky appeared, at least, during the lead-in to Animal Man's 'Second Crisis', though.

There's a great issue of Astro City that tells the tale of the everyday common man who finds his life retconned after a cosmic 'Crisis'. The story actually made me wipe my eye the first time I read it (and I felt a twinge of sorrow for the Gerrolds, as well).
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Retired

Thanks, lonewolf. I suspected the Gerrolds were characters from some DC romance comic, but it turns out they appeared only briefly in COIE for only one purpose: to demonstrate how the Crisis was affecting ordinary people.

Actually, Michelle looks like a typical teen-age "chick" such as Henry Scarpelli drew for DC in the late '60s/early '70s for their teen humour mags. So just make believe it's a nod to those comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Actually, Michelle looks like a typical teen-age "chick" such as Henry Scarpelli drew for DC in the late '60s/early '70s for their teen humour mags. So just make believe it's a nod to those comics.
    The thing about COIE is that even relatively obscure, non-superhero DC characters such as Fireman Farrell (who shared page space with the Flash in Barry Allen's SHOWCASE # 4 debut in 1956) got at least cameo appearances. COIE was loaded with Easter Eggs for the most obscure DC characters.

I figured since other than superheroes, COIE featured Western heroes, historical figures (George Washington, etc.), that pretty much anybody ever featured in a DC Comic...including the characters in an obscure romance comic, got a cameo.

Peter Parker of Earth-1 even made an appearance

And that is true.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Jessica Jones has a similar plot going on based around Marvel's recent cosmic crisis. A man murders his wife because he remembers his previous life in a now dead universe. He remembers his "old" life but not his "new" one. It is sort of a comment on how things like reboots affect ordinary people.
    Assassinate Putin!

Mighty Member

Not sure if or when Bendis is going to go back and touch on that though. The last two issues of "Jessica Jones" have focused on Jones being on the edge of "Secret Empire".

Peter Parker of Earth-1 even made an appearance
    Wait, what?
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post

Wait, what?

Apparently, Pre-COIE Earth-One's Peter Parker is the young man with the camera standing behind Silver/Bronze Age Superman.

Astonishing Member

Apparently, Pre-COIE Earth-One's Peter Parker is the young man with the camera standing behind Silver/Bronze Age Superman.

Isn't that just Jimmy? That's who I always took it as.