Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default A New Generation of Superman Fan

https://twitter.com/nationofnerds/st...06259665956865

So I just watched Man of Steel and then someone showed me this tweet. I'm no kid but I still find this both sweet and heartening. I like to think all he negativity will dissipate over time as people with no preconceived notions come into the fandom.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

If you missed this gold video, you better catch up. THIS is the future generation indeed

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    If you missed this gold video, you better catch up. THIS is the future generation indeed

Love this one. Captures the purity of Superman's timeless appeal.

Despite the few weaknesses it has Man of steel will become a cult classic in a few years/decade or so. I still sustain that the first half of the movie is masterpiece level.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Ironically the scene where he first discovers flight is the one scene I actually like!
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Ironically the scene where he first discovers flight is the one scene I actually like!
    I think right after that scene is when the movie starts to crumble. From the Kryptonian origin with Kal's birth, Zod's coup d'etat, Jor El's death and the destruction of Krypton with Lara standing all alone while her world crumbled around her was superbly done. Kal's arrival to Earth, that time jump with him working at a fishing boat, the oil rig rescue, Him discovering the super-senses. Martha's arrival at the school. The school bus accident and rescue. It was all well done. The naturalistic approach is unlike anything done before with the character. But then At some point after the flying for the first time scene, they forgot about the story they wanted to tell and got lost in endless action without levity. Then they forced a happy ending. It should have been a more somber ending not due the neck snapping but due to the hundreds of thousands that died during the black zero onslaught. They shouldn't have shied away from the destruction at the end. They failed at the premise they established: Superman in the real world.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Despite the few weaknesses it has Man of steel will become a cult classic in a few years/decade or so. I still sustain that the first half of the movie is masterpiece level.
    my only problem is not being a fan of how clark and lois meet in this movie and how their romance was kinda rushed

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    my only problem is not being a fan of how clark and lois meet in this movie and how their romance was kinda rushed
    I think this version of their first meeting was kind of refreshing. At least they showcased more her abilities as a journalist this time around. Her finding out who he was an his hometown, family and friends etc. I could have been spared the kiss on top of the massive graveyard though.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think a lot of people would agree with that. I do, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    I think there's almost as many script level issues in the first half as in the second.

Eh, and I like the second half as well as liking the first, so we've got all kinds of opinions up in here.

Quote Originally Posted by NK1988 View Post
    I like to think all he negativity will dissipate over time as people with no preconceived notions come into the fandom.
    I do hope that the "new generation" of Superman fans will leave preconceived notions behind, but in point of fact I think the new fans will have to be able to stare those notions of negativity behind and dismiss them. To be clear, I'm not just talking about whether Superman's "too cheesy" or if Man of Steel and its sequels are "too dark" or whether Superman's "too powerful", but all of those preconceived notions and more. The problem is that these have all pretty much been assimilated into the mainstream. People who've never read a Superman comic have strong views on his portrayal! So the young fans will have to, like us, be able to counter these viewpoints in their own way.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Spectacular Member

In my opinion (and honestly, I can't imagine a Superman fan liking the movie at all) every part of MOS is horrible.
    I could start with 10 thousand things but I'm gonna start with the freaking blonde-red Lois thing. Or the freaking black-Perry thing.
    Of course I'm not racist and I don't have anything against blondie-red women, but LOIS IS A BRUNETTE. HOLY COW, SHE IS A BRUNETTE.
    There are things that you're not allowed to change. Period.
    Otherwise, how about having a blonde, Michael Bolton-type Clark Kent???? Wouldn't it be a great idea? Mhleahhhh....

Anyway, the fight scene against Zod, the destruction of Metropolis, all the citizens in danger... as Mark Millar said: that is one of the most anti-Superman things ever shown on film. Probably ever written.
    In the Donner's movie he gets back to the Fortress to take the fight away from Metropolis...
    MOS is the next-gen Superman. All muscle, zero brain. In my opinion, just a horrible version of the character.

The movie itself was still better than Superman Return, though. That film is still epic fail number one.
    Last edited by AntoKent17; 05-03-2017 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AntoKent17 View Post
    LOIS IS A BRUNETTE. HOLY COW, SHE IS A BRUNETTE.
    Lois has had red hair off an on in continuity and in media since the 1950s television show starring Noel Neill.

In the Donner's movie he gets back to the Fortress to take the fight away from Metropolis...
    In the Donner movie, the threat of Zod is allowed to spiral out of control because Superman gives up his powers to be with Lois in order to fulfill a ridiculous ultimatum presented to Superman from his long dead parents. Zod becomes exponentially more destructive and dangerous because Superman decides not to be Superman. What's more anti-Superman than that?

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AntoKent17 View Post
    the freaking blonde-red Lois thing.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post

You kidding me? That's the result of high contrast image. I've other version of the picture with the correct contrast-colour. I'll show you. (as soon as I can figure how to do it...)

By the way, Lois can get her hair dyed, but clearly being a brunette by nature. That actress in MOS is clearly blonde-light red by nature.

Anyway, if you all are ok with the idea of a blondie Lois... good for you.
    Last edited by AntoKent17; 05-03-2017 at 03:22 AM.

Spectacular Member

DC Comics Presents- Superman - Lois & Clark 100-Page Super Spectacular (2015) 001-017.jpg

There you go. When the images are digitally remastered and contrast-light corrected they show you their real look. Believe me, I'm in the business
    Last edited by AntoKent17; 05-03-2017 at 03:34 AM.