Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Tom DeFalco On His "Unlikely" Involvement With Further MC2/Spider-Girl Plans

Tom DeFalco replied to a fan hungry for more MC2 on the Spider-Girl message board

if you miss the MC-2 Universe, you should write Tom Brevoort a real, snail mail letter and let him know how you feel.

Editors don't react to message boards, emails or social media...but old fashioned letters still get their attention.

(By the way, even if Marvel does decide to bring back MC-2, the odds are real good that Ron and I won't be involved...but don't let that discourage you. Tell Marvel what you want and they may give it to you!)

Thanks for being there!
    Tom D.

P.S.: I miss the MC-2 Universe, too!!!

https://www.comicboards.com/php/show...&layout=thread

Kind of a bummer, especially this close to the 20th anniversary of the line and Mayday.

Man I miss Mayday. I do hope DeFalco gets to write her and MC2 again someday

After Spider-Verse, I can't say I have much interest in seeing anyone touch on Mayday or MC2 again if it's not DeFalco or Frenz, but I guess it's equally disappointing (if expected) that Marvel doesn't have any plans for Spider-Girl .

It's kind of ironic that we have a new upcoming branding titled "Legacy," and Marvel trying to promote their idea of legacy over the past few years, when the MC2 Universe was practically defined by it. And Mayday was arguably one of the best representations of Peter's legacy as Spider-Man, being both his daughter, having him as a mentor of sorts, and permanently succeeding him in her universe.

Does Mayday still hold the record for longest-running female solo character at Marvel, or has Carol Danvers caught up through her Ms. Marvel runs and multiple relaunches as Captain Marvel combined?

I'm also curious to see how Mayday, with legacy numbering, would stack up to the legacy numbering of Miles and Miguel, counting all their various books.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    After Spider-Verse, I can't say I have much interest in seeing anyone touch on Mayday or MC2 again if it's not DeFalco or Frenz, but I guess it's equally disappointing (if expected) that Marvel doesn't have any plans for Spider-Girl .

It's kind of ironic that we have a new upcoming branding titled "Legacy," and Marvel trying to promote their idea of legacy over the past few years, when the MC2 Universe was practically defined by it. And Mayday was arguably one of the best representations of Peter's legacy as Spider-Man, being both his daughter, having him as a mentor of sorts, and permanently succeeding him in her universe.

Does Mayday still hold the record for longest-running female solo character at Marvel, or has Carol Danvers caught up through her Ms. Marvel runs and multiple relaunches as Captain Marvel combined?

I'm also curious to see how Mayday, with legacy numbering, would stack up to the legacy numbering of Miles and Miguel, counting all their various books.
    Agreed. Mayday is my favorite non-Peter Spider character by far. Hope she isn't benched

Personally I think that MC2/Spider-Girl should stay dead. I just think that sadly Spider-Verse just did too much damage to MC2/Spider-Girl.

As someone who just recently finished the entire run, I say that I'm ok with it. I'm sure that there many purists who just want DeFalco, but his style was... kinda dated. I enjoyed the whole thing, but I could see why it's kinda hard for some to get into it. If Marvel decides to continue the series, I'd be happy to see someone new take the lead.

Of course, it'll also come down with what tone does the new writer wants. I would not like it to be gritty or having shock for shock. Something that has the heart of the series but bringing new ideas into it. Sean McKeever is very underrated writer and he's great writing teenagers. He actually wrote some Spider-Girl fill-in issues, if I recall, but I'm not sure if Marvel would approach him, since he hasn't worked with them in a long time. Cullen Bunn has expressed interest in writing May, albeit I find him to be a so-so writer. Most of his things are on the okay category, but there's definitely good stuff under his belt. I'd say, if he is much of a fan, I'd like to see where he would be going. Paul Tobin also comes to mind. Marvel Adventures Spider-Man was at it's moment the best Spider-Man series being published. If, however, he decides to take the route he took with Spider-Girl, I'd be wary.

On the other hand, I'd then never know what was his ultimate plan with Anya and Black Tarantula...

BANNED

To be honest...I don't know what to say...Dan Slott maybe a fan of Spider-man and his history, but his brief visitation to the MC-2 Universe was a bit unforgetable, and not in a good way in various ways.

I'm sad to see Spider-girl and the MC-2 not involved in the whole Marvel Legacy thing given her world is truly the definition of Legacy at its finest. The First of its kind at Marvel to show its heroes relinquish their legacies to their sons and daughters and create stories from it.

Sure it was cheesy, but then so where some of their early stories. Spider-girl and now Renew your Vows showed us older fans that Spider-man has grown up and became the one thing he once dreamed of...a father and training his children in his web-slinging ways.

Spectacular Member AmazingFantasy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Agreed. Mayday is my favorite non-Peter Spider character by far. Hope she isn't benched
    Same here!

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    As someone who just recently finished the entire run, I say that I'm ok with it. I'm sure that there many purists who just want DeFalco, but his style was... kinda dated. I enjoyed the whole thing, but I could see why it's kinda hard for some to get into it. If Marvel decides to continue the series, I'd be happy to see someone new take the lead.

Of course, it'll also come down with what tone does the new writer wants. I would not like it to be gritty or having shock for shock. Something that has the heart of the series but bringing new ideas into it. Sean McKeever is very underrated writer and he's great writing teenagers. He actually wrote some Spider-Girl fill-in issues, if I recall, but I'm not sure if Marvel would approach him, since he hasn't worked with them in a long time. Cullen Bunn has expressed interest in writing May, albeit I find him to be a so-so writer. Most of his things are on the okay category, but there's definitely good stuff under his belt. I'd say, if he is much of a fan, I'd like to see where he would be going. Paul Tobin also comes to mind. Marvel Adventures Spider-Man was at it's moment the best Spider-Man series being published. If, however, he decides to take the route he took with Spider-Girl, I'd be wary.

On the other hand, I'd then never know what was his ultimate plan with Anya and Black Tarantula...
    I think it would be good for Spider-Girl to have a new, younger or relatively more "modern," writer or creative team with the right sensibilities to take over from DeFalco and Frenz, though I don't think Marvel cares enough about Spider-Girl as a property to give that kind of chance...

Question: Since the RYV series is playing with the idea of Spider-Man having a kid, would there be a market for a Spider-Girl revival? I do get that the two series had/have different tones and perspectives on the subject of a Parker child but is it good business to have competing products that overlap like that?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Question: Since the RYV series is playing with the idea of Spider-Man having a kid, would there be a market for a Spider-Girl revival? I do get that the two series had/have different tones and perspectives on the subject of a Parker child but is it good business to have competing products that overlap like that?
    Good question, but I think there could be some distinctive elements that could help them both to function competitively...Spider-Girl would be entirely focused on the daughter, where as RYV is meant to be about the whole family, not just Annie.

Well, given Marvel seems more comfortable promoting Peter and MJ together, as well as the marriage, they might not be completely against a Spider-Girl revival, even if it's still fairly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Good question, but I think there could be some distinctive elements that could help them both to function competitively...Spider-Girl would be entirely focused on the daughter, where as RYV is meant to be about the whole family, not just Annie.
    I agree that that's a difference, but would the average reader, who's only familiar with one or the other, make that distinction, or would they be more likely to look at one and think: "Why would I want to read that, when I'm already reading this?"

(The origin of the question came from listening to a Spider-Man podcast where the hosts were speculating on the franchise's comic sales, specifically wondering if Marvel was diluting the brand with too many Spider titles, esp. ones that competed with each other. Their example why how Marvel released the Spidey series about a teenage Peter Parker alongside the Miles Morales comics. Their opinion was that making the Spidey series was a bad move, since Miles was already representing the teenage Spider-Man comic.

My counter would be, much like yours with RYV and Spider-Girl, they're different characters, so it's a different tone. I mean, to be candid, I'd rather read about Peter Parker -- the real Spider-Man to me -- than Miles as a substitute Spider-Man -- and I am saying this as someone who's collecting the Ultimate Miles books and thinks they're good for what they are. But the case could still be made that having two similar products isn't the best allocation of resources, regardless of the fine details that are important to the devoted fans.)

BANNED

I mean, to be candid, I'd rather read about Peter Parker
    I see your point. RYV also provides you with an active Peter Parker, where as Spider-Girl would not, as Peter is mostly always retired outside of specific storylines, and if you factor in the version of MC2 used for Spider-Verse,he's dead anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I see your point. RYV also provides you with an active Peter Parker, where as Spider-Girl would not, as Peter is mostly always retired outside of specific storylines, and if you factor in the version of MC2 used for Spider-Verse,he's dead anyway.
    Yeah, Spider-Verse MC2 is a deal-breaker for me, although it could've been worse.

Now, I'd have no objection to reading or collecting Spider-Girl because of Mayday Parker being the lead (the main problems for reading it being the stuff is harder to find and budgeting purposes) and had RYV not been made, I'd probably be looking for them right now. I'd like to read it through at any rate.

But, on paper, between the two versions of a Parker family, I'd probably gravitate more to the one where Spider-Man himself plays a more active role as a co-lead rather than a supporting character. (The fact that Spider-Girl uses the move over the top omniscient narration like older comics over the more familiar first-person-narrated text boxes that RYV and other comics I follow would also take getting used to. I find that I prefer the latter for various reasons. Not a deal breaker at all, but I find I prefer modern comic book writing and illustration techniques over older ones.)