View Poll Results: Which Image comic was your favourite this week?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eternal Empire #1 (series debut)

3 21.43%
  • Extremity #3

0 0%
  • Manifest Destiny #28

3 21.43%
  • Outcast #27

1 7.14%
  • Paper Girls #14

0 0%
  • Planetoid Praxis #4 (of 6)

1 7.14%
  • Pix Volume 2: Too Cool For School

0 0%
  • Postal #20

0 0%
  • The Walking Dead #167

3 21.43%
  • Youngblood #1 (series debut)

2 14.29%
  • One or more of the Image Firsts reprints

1 7.14%

Default Image Comics poll week 18 - the Eternal Empire of Youngblood

Hey everyone welcome back to the weekly Image poll, vote for your faves and let's chat!

Last week's poll was convincingly won by Black Monday Murders #5 which took in more than one-third of all votes cast!

There's a lot going on this week, no doubt meant to coincide with Free Comic Book Day which is happening this Saturday! Let's look at some highlights: Extremity is reprinting both of its first issues (again), indicating strong demand. Same with The Old Guard, reprinting both of its earliest issues - it'll be the last printing of issue #1 by the way so speculators beware haha. Postal is wrapping up a storyline this week too, and the second Pix volume (titled Too Cool for School) is out this week.

Then we're getting a smattering of Image Firsts, a.k.a. 1 dollar reprints of the first issues of popular series. All the following are getting this treatment *deep breath*: Black Magick, The Fix, the Goddamned, Head Lopper, Kill or be Killed, Renato Jones The One%, Seven to Eternity, Snotgirl aaaand Think Tank volume 5. Missed any of these debut issues, or wanna try a series out for cheap? Then this is a good entrypoint.

We're also getting two new series this week.
    1.) Eternal Empire is the big new series from Jonathan Luna and Sarah Vaughn, the creative team from Alex+Ada. This time it's not sci-fi, but a fantasy world where a woman receives visions of her destiny. Does she embrace it, or run from her seemingly inevitable fate? It'll be interesting to see how Vaughn's sparse style translates to a rich fantasy setting.

2.) Second up is Youngblood, a relaunch of the 25 year old (!) series from Rob Liefeld. This looks like it follows a similar model as Liefeld's recent Prophet, Supreme and Glory relaunches, in the sense that it's a different creative team tackling the property. Chad Bowers (X-Men '92) is doing the writing on this one, and Jim Towe takes on the art duties. The cover looks very Guardians of the Galaxy inspired to me, and it boasts a "new team with a new mission", could be neat?

279554.jpg 279545.jpg

Are any of y'all going to a Free Comic Book Day event, or trying out a new series this week?

No Image for me again! This is criminal...

Also, this is my first free comic book day, and I'm stuck at work!
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Extremity #3
    Manifest Destiny #28
    Paper Girls #14
    The Walking Dead #167
    Youngblood #1

Only The Walking Dead.

I need to catch up with Outcast at some point, but I'm letting those stack up. I think it reads better that way.

Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    Youngblood #1
    Do let us know how this one is, please! Pretty curious to hear whether they've gone in a completely different direction as other Extreme Studios relaunches have done, or if it's more in line with the original.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

So pleased to see Eternal Empire getting as many votes as it has-- first issue was pretty, but only so-so, for me as a reader, but I really really enjoyed Alex + Ada, and have a lot of hope for this titled developing into a wonderful story. It's not written by Luna, which already has an effect of lessening its impact (by issue one of A+A we had a strong introduction to the characters and the world; less so, here).
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    So pleased to see Eternal Empire getting as many votes as it has-- first issue was pretty, but only so-so, for me as a reader, but I really really enjoyed Alex + Ada, and have a lot of hope for this titled developing into a wonderful story. It's not written by Luna, which already has an effect of lessening its impact (by issue one of A+A we had a strong introduction to the characters and the world; less so, here).
    Yeah I'd agree with that, doesn't quite hit that elevated level of "this is a must-read for me yet". But it does indeed look gorgeous and I'm pretty confident in this creative team on the back of A+A. Voted for the issue too.

I'm surprised Walking Dead isn't running away with this poll, the new issue got so much buzz in other threads.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    +1,000
    10 char
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

SPOILERS! (i hope that's okay. don't banish me)

re: youngblood #1. i'm a sucker for supreme, and this version of youngblood has suprema in it, so i picked it up. overall i'd give it a B. caught my attention to pick up the next issue, which i believe is solicited for the very end of june, so they've given themselves a solid 7-week lead time between issues. the test will be whether or not i remember enough about #1 by the time i pick up #2 for any of it to make sense.

so i don't know how to do spoiler tags like you fancy kids, and i've got a spoiler-y question....

so please stop reading now if you don't want anything spoiled...

i mean it...

spoilers:
    re: rob liefeld's back-up story, he's totally referencing the book from alan moore's judgment day, right?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by TotalSnorefest; 05-15-2017 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Added spoilertags

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    SPOILERS! (i hope that's okay. don't banish me)

re: youngblood #1. i'm a sucker for supreme, and this version of youngblood has suprema in it, so i picked it up. overall i'd give it a B. caught my attention to pick up the next issue, which i believe is solicited for the very end of june, so they've given themselves a solid 7-week lead time between issues. the test will be whether or not i remember enough about #1 by the time i pick up #2 for any of it to make sense.

so i don't know how to do spoiler tags like you fancy kids, and i've got a spoiler-y question....

so please stop reading now if you don't want anything spoiled...

i mean it...

spoilers:
    re: rob liefeld's back-up story, he's totally referencing the book from alan moore's judgment day, right?
    end of spoilers
    Have edited your post by adding spoilertags, didn't change anything else of course.
    You can use spoilertags yourself by writing [spoil*] spoilers go here [/spoil*], but remove those asterixes. Press "reply with quote" to this post to see it done below.

Like spoilers:
    this!
    end of spoilers

why thank you, good sir.