Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Default X-Men: Gold #3 SPOILERS

Not the best issue, felt a bit let-down with a pretty predictable story.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Rockslide and Armour are taken on the mission to rescue Logan and the mayor from the Brotherhood.
    - Armour/Colossus/Kitty vs. the alien creature (kinda looks like the brood), mind-controlled Logan vs. Storm and Rockslide.
    - Nightcrawler rescues the mayor
    - Rachel takes out Mesmero SUPER easily in a psi-battle (off panel)
    - Storm lightning blasts Logan and stops the mind control
    - The blackbird is brought in for a 'violent extraction' of the X-Men. The brotherhood is taken out SO EASILY they pose basically no threat.
    - Kitty finds Amara who isn't sure what's real or not, and doesn't want to go with Kitty. The building is rigged with explosives.
    - Kitty and Amara get out as the building explodes,
    - SHIELD takes all the Brotherhood except the 'creepy new guy who doesn't talk'.
    - We find out Mesmero was mind controlling Amara AND all the new Brotherhood members, and he was paid to create a mutant terrorist group to cause havoc.
    - We find out it was the old anti-mutant lady who was pro-deportation in the first issue. The X-Men show up to her place and threaten her, Rachel psychically attacks her and warns her they'll take her down if she does anything again.

The end. So pretty predictable, no real plot twists. I'll probably give the Gambit plotline a go, and if that doesn't stick then I'll probably drop the title. Shame since I was most looking forward to this over any of the other X-Men team books in Resurexion.

Yeah, it was predictable. Wasn't bad, but predictable.

BANNED

This book is so pedestrian. The characters don't shine. Only Kitty and Logan get screentime and the former is written like a total bore, while the latter is already in 36 other books. The pacing goes way too fast, allowing no scenes to breathe as scenes quickly hop from location to location. We get no resolution on who Pyro and Avalanche are, despite Guggenheim hyping up their identity. The fights are boring and Guggenheim continues to use nostalgia and cheesy one-liners as a crutch to hide the fact he has no story to tell.

I actually think i liked this more than the last ish. Thought it was a good opening arc, even if it felt more like an elongated opening issue story. Disappointed at not getting more about the Brotherhood (no Amara reflection? no identities for Avalanche/Pyro? Mesmero I can let slide, but the story behind those two seemed more interesting), but it seems like the Brotherhood here was just a vehicle to introduce the new Guggenheim OC for future stories.

My opinion on this arc will change on the future relevance of Nance. If this is the last we see of her, then I'll look back at this with less regard than I would if she continues to be an antagonistic presence over the book.

All in all though, it seems clear what the divide of ResurreXion is; for new readers and for old readers. Gold is clearly for the newer, even if it harkens back to the classic eras, whilst Blue seems much more rewarding for older fans. Will be interesting to see how all the other books in the relaunch line-up.

.. do i get to start praying for a new writer or is it still too early? * low-key praying for Rucka or Pak *
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

i thought it was decent! no complaints here, very excited for lashley to take over this book however.

BANNED

This was VERY lackluster, not fun at all. Everything was to fast, and Rockslide and Armor barely did anything interesting. Guggenheim what are you doing dude? *sigh* See told you guys this was ALL about Kitty and her X-Men. Also I agree with everyone here this issue was extremely predictable.

I was looking forward to this issue, but I guess not. C'mon number 4 please bring us back and poor Storm thrust into the background huh?.....Of Course.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by malachi_munroex View Post
    .. do i get to start praying for a new writer or is it still too early? * low-key praying for Rucka or Pak *
    lol @ Pak tbh.

they blew the magma story, I'm out.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Best X-Men series of the past decade. Not saying much, but yup.

The reptilian guy doesn't look much like Brood. More reminiscent of Mellencamp.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

It was okay. I guess. It was really predictable and underwhelming, but it read fine. I never really thought we'd get resolution on Pyro and Avalanche's identities. All the interviews I read about them just made it sound like they were new guys in the old costumes. Maybe I misread, though.

This was maybe one of the most predictable books I've ever read. Will quietly bow out after this issue.

Extraordinary Member

So the Magma thing was handwaved as mind-control immediately and the whole plot turned out to be a false flag attack? Glad I didn't buy it.

I don't see, after everything we've been told about this book, how anyone could expect anything but predictability.

I'm also weirdly irritated by Mesmero constantly being referred to as a telepath. His powers are hypnosis based...