Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

I think my problem with Kitty as leader is not so much that's she's the leader; that's fine. The annoying thing is that she's leading probably the most experienced team of X-men we've seen in a long time, and the focus is on her leading when her team really shouldn't need that much leadership if any.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    I'm happy! My precious Amara is still good!
    That's good to hear. I wasn't too happy about her being a baddie.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    With all my complaints about this book, I do think the deportation story and the mean white lady bad mouthing mutants are an interesting take on the mutant metaphor. I definitely prefer this to the endangered species stuff.
    I agree but anything would be better than another story about extinction.
    It was only the first arc the only mistake of the writer was not able to present a good mystery about the rest have no problem.

Overall rank 7.5 out of 10.

BANNED

I think my problem with Kitty as leader is not so much that's she's the leader; that's fine. The annoying thing is that she's leading probably the most experienced team of X-men we've seen in a long time, and the focus is on her leading when her team really shouldn't need that much leadership if any.
    They should've given her a team of New Mutants. I'd love to see Kitty bossing around Doug, Rahne and Amara.

BANNED

There's also the fact that the direction Guggenheim is taking Kitty's leadership in is really bizarre. Kitty can inspire, but being "the best tactician the X-men ever had" (as Guggs said in an interview) and generally being a hardass don't fit her character at all, especially with, as you said, such an experienced team. She's not in charge of children. And while she's very smart, we've never really had a hint about her being skilled or trained in battle tactics.
    Last edited by Maestroneto; 05-03-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    They should've given her a team of New Mutants. I'd love to see Kitty bossing around Doug, Rahne and Amara.
    I'd read that, and I get the feeling Guggenheim would rather write that.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    There's also the fact that the direction Guggenheim is taking Kitty's leadership in is really bizarre. Kitty can inspire, but being "the best tactician the X-men ever had" (as Guggs said in an interview) and generally being a hardass don't fit her character at all, especially with, as you said, such an experienced team. She's not in charge of children.
    Hopefully now that the first arc is out of the way, he'll back off that characterization, but I'm not holding my breath.

Wasted opportunities all around, sadly.

>The art was meh. I don't even have any favourite panels to post. Bye, Syaf!
    >Considering his history/future/whatever, OMLogan should be crying in a corner after being mind-controlled to fight the X-Men yet again.
    >Nance being behind the Brotherhood was painfully obvious. The confrontation with her should have been a conversation about mutant rights, not ridiculous and cliche threats from Kitty. Telekinetically throwing The Bad Human around? That's kinda sad, really. I was really hoping Rachel would pull a Jeen and mind control Nance into being pro-mutant.
    >I really hoped the hooded mayor was really a Brotherhood member waiting to ambush the X-Men. Pity.
    >The 'new guy' (as the X-Men constantly refer to him) is sticking around for more story? Will we have another monstrous mutant who wants to do good? Watch out, Kurt! He's coming for your shtick.
    >Storm gives a sensible order and Kitty gets all possessive of the leadership position gifted to her?

Looking forward to Gambit and better art next issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

Nance sucks. Hopefully she's really Alice Tremaine in a wig and whiteface.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    There's also the fact that the direction Guggenheim is taking Kitty's leadership in is really bizarre. Kitty can inspire, but being "the best tactician the X-men ever had" (as Guggs said in an interview) and generally being a hardass don't fit her character at all, especially with, as you said, such an experienced team. She's not in charge of children. And while she's very smart, we've never really had a hint about her being skilled or trained in battle tactics.
    It's also rather annoying that Kitty's the one giving speeches, Kitty's the one telling everyone what to do, and Kitty's the one saving the day at the end of each of these 3 books. It's a tired and boring formula already. Everyone else is wallpaper.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this book. It's nice to have a more fun, straightforward, Superhero X-Men book again, even if Blue is doing an absolutely better job of that on all fronts, and I liked it enough as a whole but it still feels kind of clunky or underwhelming in some areas, but I'm used to that from Guggenheim's comic work.

On the one hand I can see the appeal of having fast-paced arc like this through double-shipping, but this story really feels like it could've used two more issues to better explore the conflict, establish the team, and develop the new Brotherhood. Because, as it is, it feels like we just breezed through everything. I'm not advocating for 6-part arcs or decompression, but it still feels like things moved way too quickly.

And I hope we get more development or moments with the rest of the team rather then just having Kitty as the most prominent character with the most lines and moments. I get that she's the leader, but I just hope the screentime and focus is more balanced in future issues and maybe tone down Kitty as this "hardcore" leader.

So I guess they took Amara back to the mansion to de-program her from the brainwashing? She wasn't among the Brotherhood taken into custody by SHIELD, and I doubt the X-Men would give her up like that. I think it would be really cool if she joined the team or stuck around, if unlikely .

BANNED

I'd read that, and I get the feeling Guggenheim would rather write that.
    He was free to choose the team he wanted and he went with milquetoast.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm still not sure how I feel about this book. It's nice to have a more fun, straightforward, Superhero X-Men book again, even if Blue is doing an absolutely better job of that on all fronts, and I liked it enough as a whole but it still feels kind of clunky or underwhelming in some areas, but I'm used to that from Guggenheim's comic work.

On the one hand I can see the appeal of having fast-paced arc like this through double-shipping, but this story really feels like it could've used two more issues to better explore the conflict, establish the team, and develop the new Brotherhood. Because, as it is, it feels like we just breezed through everything. I'm not advocating for 6-part arcs or decompression, but it still feels like things moved way too quickly.

And I hope we get more development or moments with the rest of the team rather then just having Kitty as the most prominent character with the most lines and moments. I get that she's the leader, but I just hope the screentime and focus is more balanced in future issues and maybe tone down Kitty as this "hardcore" leader.

So I guess they took Amara back to the mansion to de-program her from the brainwashing? She wasn't among the Brotherhood taken into custody by SHIELD, and I doubt the X-Men would give her up like that. I think it would be really cool if she joined the team or stuck around, if unlikely .
    Decompression actually works well with double shipping. By the time a six issue arc gets to the 5th issue people start forgetting things and have to reread the story. But in a double shipping book, it all comes out closer together and you're not as liable to forget things.

There's also pacing stuff. I find that double shipping stories move a lot quicker while reading, nothing is dragged out.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

excellent point. very hard to take seriously when this is taken into consideration

BANNED

I liked it. A quick three issue arc to establish the X-Men as a competent and powerful superhero team. That was sorely needed after Lemire's bullshit. Things should start to get spicy now. Hopefully Guggenheim will pull through.

It read like a bad tv show full of jump cuts and flat one liners. Also in what world is Colossus worried about Kitty when the only danger is an explosion?