Mighty Member

Default asking for a friend

As the title of the thread indicates, I really do not want to own this one.

A friend of mine (local to the north-metro area of Boston, MA) recalls seeing an indy war comic based on WWII. The plot and characters were based on actual events. (For example, the fall of Berlin would have been depicted as described in whatever historic sources that the creative team had on hand.)

He believes that it was published locally (from MA, maybe NH).

Unfortunately, he does not recall the name of the comic or the guys who made it.

Does this ring a bell for anybody?
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

I think a better bet might be to ask a decent-size comic book shop in that area if they know of it.
    If it was published locally, they might at least know what company would have been involved, if not the name of the comic book itself.
    (Besides, if it was produced in the MA/NH area, they might even have signed copies in the store.)

Mighty Member

My buddy tried that. No luck though.

(I forgot to mention above, but the comic was from years ago, which does not help.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle

If it's older from the 80s and the B&W boom, it could have come from anyplace. I'm not too familiar with the Boston market and am far less so now, or who's up on knowledgeable info, but New England Comics with a Boston area chain published some stuff and may have some idea. Million Year Picnic in Harvard Square has been a go-to for me for years, but they may not be what they were. That's Entertainment in Worcester published a few books back in the 80s and they have a very knowledgeable staff who may be able to help you out with other possibilities.

And there's Mirage Studios who published a few books over the years. They were out of Dover, NH for a while and moved their base to Northampton, MA. A few of their books didn't feature turtles.
    Last edited by CaptCleghorn; 05-05-2017 at 11:25 PM.

Where and When was this comic seen?

Mighty Member

I will have to ask my friend. But, it was years ago.

It just occurred to me, that Garth Ennis wrote Battlefields for Dynamite and War Stories for Avatar. Might also be Dreaming Eagles from Aftershock.

Mighty Member

The only thing that my buddy could tell me was that it was locally produced, which rules out Ennis.

Mighty Member

My friend did some digging. (He is cleaning out his place now.) The comics were published by New England Comics Press. Apparently, they did an entire series of war comics (largely focused on WWII). My friend had a few issues of "Eastern Front".

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    My friend did some digging. (He is cleaning out his place now.) The comics were published by New England Comics Press. Apparently, they did an entire series of war comics (largely focused on WWII). My friend had a few issues of "Eastern Front".
    If he wants more he should reach out to the shop and see if they have any. Also why did you not want to own this one? With that I was expecting a very weird choice, but this is pretty tame.

Mighty Member

I did not want to "own this one" because I wanted to make absolutely clear that I was not the guy asking about the (obscure) comics in the most vague way possible. (I was doing so by proxy, but that is different.)

At this point, reaching out to the shop would be easy, as he lives in metro Boston (where NEC is based).

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    I did not want to "own this one" because I wanted to make absolutely clear that I was not the guy asking about the (obscure) comics in the most vague way possible. (I was doing so by proxy, but that is different.)

At this point, reaching out to the shop would be easy, as he lives in metro Boston (where NEC is based).
    Yeah I am in the area they are good about stuff, I would be surprised if they did not have some issues laying around the store. Yeah it is a pretty obscure questions, I did not even know they produced any comics outside of the Tick.

Mighty Member

I knew they did a few non-Tick series. But, I thought it was all humor comics.

The local store does not have any issues (as far as I know). But, the wharehouse (Quincy) definitely does. My buddy can do the rest of the leg work.