Page 140 of 184 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150 ... LastLast
Results 2,086 to 2,100 of 2752

Well... which homeworld? Galactus ate one of them, and the Annihilation wave destroyed another. It was the second one that set off SI. Yeah, doesn't make sense to me either. why would they place that much import on one planet? I thought they had hundreds?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Jessica Drew is shared as well (with Sony). They can use the character, but not the title Spider-Woman, the costume, or her powers.
    Ugh can understand the codename but even the powers? That's ridiculous considering there is barely anything in common with Spider-Man's powers. I wonder if this means they'll just keep her as a SHIELD agent (maybe with powers or not). If she needed a new codename, I'd give her either Arachne (which was her HYDRA codename) or Redback (which she used in Age of X).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Maybe just have a smaller scale invasion of earth by powered Skrulls? Most times Earth has been attacked by Skrulls they used infiltration. The only special thing with SI was the sheer scale of it. Well, that and using magic to take on the powers of and replace heroes.
    I'm assuming the seeds of Secret Invasion would be planted in the movie and it'll become either the storyline of Phase 4, or the overarching storyline for the next few phases like the Thanos and the Infinity Gems storyline was for MCU's Phase 1-3.

Arachne unfortunately falls under the Spider theme and can't be used.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Arachne unfortunately falls under the Spider theme and can't be used.
    I forgot that Julia used it as well.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JeanGreyForever View Post
    I forgot that Julia used it as well.
    Julia is also rumored to also be a shared character though, because she did join the Avengers almost right off the bat. It's all the other Spider-Women who are pure Sony.

Further while Arachne is definitely a Spider theme, it's also a name from Greek mythology so itself isn't available to trademark. It's a public domain term. Anyone can use it. So while it could be construed as infinging upon Spider characters, it as a term itself isn't impossible to use if you're really clever about it.

Personally I suspect Sony wold allow Jessica Drew to be Spider-Woman though... as long as Marvel takes the risk of introducing her but then let's them use her in their movies too. I'm not a fan of the idea of Spider-Woman in Spider-Man movies, but having her in a Black Cat/Silver Sable movie I'd have no real big issue with. Sony's strategy atm is riding the wave of the MCU and anything they let Marvel use just gives them more power in getting other Marvel characters in their movies too.

Jessica's identity is publicly known in the comics, so it'd be very easy to tease she's Spider-Woman then just call her Jessica (like Black Eidow is just Natasha) then set up say Spider-Gwen and have everyone start calling her Spider-Woman too because her identity isn't publically known. Or since Sony seems to really want a diverse cast, just set up Silk instead.
    Last edited by LordRyus; 07-23-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    Current Pull List (updated for ANAD): Star Wars □ Darth Vader □ Lando □ Chewbacca □ Kanan □ uh... alot of ANAD but I still have decided what yet, lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordRyus View Post
    Julia is also rumored to also be a shared character though, because she did join the Avengers almost right off the bat. It's all the other Spider-Women who are pure Sony.

Further while Arachne is definitely a Spider theme, it's also a name from Greek mythology so itself isn't available to trademark. It's a public domain term. Anyone can use it. So while it could be construed as infinging upon Spider characters, it as a term itself isn't impossible to use if you're really clever about it.

Personally I suspect Sony wold allow Jessica Drew to be Spider-Woman though... as long as Marvel takes the risk of introducing her but then let's them use her in their movies too. I'm not a fan of the idea of Spider-Woman in Spider-Man movies, but having her in a Black Cat/Silver Sable movie I'd have no real big issue with. Sony's strategy atm is riding the wave of the MCU and anything they let Marvel use just gives them more power in getting other Marvel characters in their movies too.

Jessica's identity is publicly known in the comics, so it'd be very easy to tease she's Spider-Woman then just call her Jessica (like Black Eidow is just Natasha) then set up say Spider-Gwen and have everyone start calling her Spider-Woman too because her identity isn't publically known. Or since Sony seems to really want a diverse cast, just set up Silk instead.
    True, Arachne would be in the public domain as a name anyway.

Also you're right that it makes sense that Sony would want Jessica to be introduced in a Marvel movie so if she was successful, then they could make a film on her rather than chancing it. Personally, I think Jessica is probably Sony's biggest female character besides Spider-Gwen who might be more difficult to make a premise on (but not impossible). I'd much rather see Jessica as a lead than Black Cat or Silver Sable.

I don't even think we've heard Wanda or Pietro's codenames in the films, or definitely not Pietro's while Wanda's was probably a fleeting mention. So not giving Jessica the Spider-Woman name wouldn't be that big of a deal as you pointed out also with Natasha. I'm not sure if in merchandise they would be able to call her Spider-Woman then, but then again, Marvel rarely merchandises their female characters so Jessica probably won't even have that problem!

True, Arachne would be in the public domain as a name anyway.

Also you're right that it makes sense that Sony would want Jessica to be introduced in a Marvel movie so if she was successful, then they could make a film on her rather than chancing it. Personally, I think Jessica is probably Sony's biggest female character besides Spider-Gwen who might be more difficult to make a premise on (but not impossible). I'd much rather see Jessica as a lead than Black Cat or Silver Sable.

I don't even think we've heard Wanda or Pietro's codenames in the films, or definitely not Pietro's while Wanda's was probably a fleeting mention. So not giving Jessica the Spider-Woman name wouldn't be that big of a deal as you pointed out also with Natasha. I'm not sure if in merchandise they would be able to call her Spider-Woman then, but then again, Marvel rarely merchandises their female characters so Jessica probably won't even have that problem!
    Yeah two films in and we're still waiting for Wanda to be called Scarlet Witch in the films at all, its never been mentioned outside of the credits and the odd piece of merch. Similarly Black Widow is rarely called by her codename outside of a few bad guys referring to her as it etc, or in the merch and cartoons. So i definitely think the lack of a codename would really impact Jessica. It's her powers i'd just want her to be able to have.

Took this from another forum, but this is apparently the screen shot from the Sony Wikileaks page.

IMG_0681.JPG
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Took this from another forum, but this is apparently the screen shot from the Sony Wikileaks page.

IMG_0681.JPG
    I guess it all comes down to what is considered "spider powers", and with Spider-Man himself in the MCU, maybe it'll be a little bit more lenient moving forward.

BANNED

Why hold out on her powers though? As if Sony ever had plans to use her. It feels like a situation where Sony only wants Spider-Woman as long as Marvel is interested in her. I hope Sony will get over it and let Marvel use her in Carol's movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WonderBoy View Post
    I guess it all comes down to what is considered "spider powers", and with Spider-Man himself in the MCU, maybe it'll be a little bit more lenient moving forward.
    The venom blasts are unique to Jessica and the pheromones. Neither are associated with Spider-Man (although I wonder if they might feel that the name "venom blasts" implies the villain Venom). The comics barely ever use her increased strength, speed, and agility and seem to have a habit of pointing out that Peter is superior to her in those aspects. But those are common abilities for most heroes so I think they could get around with keeping those. The sticking on walls thing I don't think would be a big deal to remove, especially since she can fly which is also unique.

I wonder if her classic costume and/or new costume, would be considered "Spider-Man like."

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Why hold out on her powers though? As if Sony ever had plans to use her. It feels like a situation where Sony only wants Spider-Woman as long as Marvel is interested in her. I hope Sony will get over it and let Marvel use her in Carol's movie.
    Honestly, I think Sony would want Marvel to use Jessica in a Marvel movie, like they used Peter in Civil War. If the audiences like her enough, then they could make a spin-off film for her. It might be that Marvel doesn't want to give Sony another character to use.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

So to sum it up, Jessica Drew can't/won't appear in films until Marvel and Sony can settle the terms of how their Spider-Man agreement applies to her character. Sounds like another case of a great character getting shortchanged because the big film studios can't play nice with each other and one of them is angling for as much control as possible despite having screwed the pooch at least once already. Shame.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The venom blasts are unique to Jessica and the pheromones. Neither are associated with Spider-Man (although I wonder if they might feel that the name "venom blasts" implies the villain Venom).
    The venom blasts aren't associated with Peter Parker, however, it is one of Miles Morales's powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordRyus View Post
    Or since Sony seems to really want a diverse cast, just set up Silk instead.
    Cindy was actually in Homecoming, though the role was so minor her surname wasn't even mentioned, and of course, she isn't Silk yet.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-23-2017 at 05:52 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    So to sum it up, Jessica Drew can't/won't appear in films until Marvel and Sony can settle the terms of how their Spider-Man agreement applies to her character. Sounds like another case of a great character getting shortchanged because the big film studios can't play nice with each other and one of them is angling for as much control as possible despite having screwed the pooch at least once already. Shame.
    I don't think that's accurate, but it might be a confusion on what you mean by Spider-Man agreement. If you mean the original Spider-Man lease agreement that let Sony make Spider-Man movies, those rights are settled. They're detailed in the Sony leaks. If you mean the recent agreement to let Spider-Man appear in Civil War and the two Avengers films if Feige produces two Spider-Man films that will have Avengers characters, that's settled as well. The agreement doesn't apply to her. This is because the agreement isn't a carte blanche to let Marvel do what they want, but a co-production between both studios.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?