Page 5 of 184 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

That is a gorgeous piece of art. I'm going to have to look up more of that artist's work.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I love Jessica Drew. She's my favorite Spider-Woman, though I wish her book were launched under different circumstances. Making her book into a Spider-Man-extra title and assigning Land on art duties kind of steer me away from picking this one up. If it's still around a few arcs from now and there's a different artist and story, I'll be adding to my pull list.

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    Oh, geez. The internet is going to break in half again. I'm staying away...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mermaid View Post
    I love Jessica Drew. She's my favorite Spider-Woman, though I wish her book were launched under different circumstances. Making her book into a Spider-Man-extra title and assigning Land on art duties kind of steer me away from picking this one up. If it's still around a few arcs from now and there's a different artist and story, I'll be adding to my pull list.
    There is nothing really wrong with having Jessica Drew as part of Spider-Man's world anymore than the Black Cat. But I feel that the book can work if some of Spider-Man's rogue galleries like the Jackal, Hobgoblin, and Menance are a part of her own, as well as the Swarm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swarm_(comics)

Question:

Why does Spider-Woman shoot laser beams? Which terrifying species of spider gave her laser hands? How/Why was this done in story? How/Why was it done OUT of story? Why did her creator decide, "You know what this spider hero needs? Laser beams!". It feels so random to me.

Like, enhance agility, strength, ability to stick to stuff, all classic spidery/insect powers. The pheromone thing... I guess that could be a bug thing? Some bugs do stuff like that to communicate/control. The lasers though... I'm lost, I don't get it.

Oh, and sometimes she flies?

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fordel View Post
    Question:

Why does Spider-Woman shoot laser beams? Which terrifying species of spider gave her laser hands? How/Why was this done in story? How/Why was it done OUT of story? Why did her creator decide, "You know what this spider hero needs? Laser beams!". It feels so random to me.

Like, enhance agility, strength, ability to stick to stuff, all classic spidery/insect powers. The pheromone thing... I guess that could be a bug thing? Some bugs do stuff like that to communicate/control. The lasers though... I'm lost, I don't get it.

Those are Venom Blasts powers that's loaded with different types of toxins. The strange twist is that Spider-Man's pheromones makes Jessica inquisitive about him. Unlike Silk, Jessica knows when to hold back the urge to go after Spider-Man.

Last edited by Darthfury78; 08-26-2014 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fordel View Post
    Question:

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Those are Venom Blasts powers that's loaded with different types of toxins. The strange twist is that Spider-Man's pheromones makes Jessica inquisitive about him. Unlike Silk, Jessica knows when to hold back the urge to go after Spider-Man.
    She does not shoot laser beams. Also, her venom blasts are totally a misnomer. There's no toxins, no venom. They're bioelectric. The closest analog is probably an electric eel. As to what this has to do with spiders... I got nothin'

Also, she can't fly. The only version that could actually fly was the Skrull Queen. I guess the Skrulls felt she needed a bit of an oomph! RealJessica can only glide on air currents - and there are species of spiders that can do this!

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Oh, geez. The internet is going to break in half again. I'm staying away...
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    She does not shoot laser beams. Also, her venom blasts are totally a misnomer. There's no toxins, no venom. They're bioelectric. The closest analog is probably an electric eel. As to what this has to do with spiders... I got nothin'

Also, she can't fly. The only version that could actually fly was the Skrull Queen. I guess the Skrulls felt she needed a bit of an oomph! RealJessica can only glide on air currents - and there are species of spiders that can do this!
    Trying to think what bioelectrics have to do with Spiders. Can't think of anything.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Spider-Woman has always been able to fly and shoot bio-electric blasts. Whether it makes sense or not, I like her unique powers.

Spider Woman has always been a favorite character of mine. I believe somewhere in the basement is a complete run of her first '70s series.

I think she would make an excellent choice to show up in the Avengers movie(s), which if she is portrayed well, would only add to her new comic books sales potential.

Extraordinary Member

I'm just looking forward to the series.

Maybe the bioelectric blasts are kinda like a "ranged spider-bite". Look at marvel wikia in the power section of Jessica Drew.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mermaid View Post
    Spider-Woman has always been able to fly and shoot bio-electric blasts. Whether it makes sense or not, I like her unique powers.
    I like her powers as well. Was merely trying to think of what bio-electrics had to do with spiders for lilyinblue.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I'm just looking forward to the series.
    Quoted in agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Maybe the bioelectric blasts are kinda like a "ranged spider-bite". Look at marvel wikia in the power section of Jessica Drew.
    I'll take that explanation.