Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Mantis' ever changing skin tone.

Why do some artist make her green while others give her a more human skin tone? Also why does she gave antena? Isn't she human?

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Why do some artist make her green while others give her a more human skin tone? Also why does she gave antena? Isn't she human?
    She´s the Celestial Madonna, maybe this explain something regarding her and why sometimes she has green skin instead of a more human like in her origins.

At one point I believe she had some sort of connection to a plant like race somehow connected to the Kree (I forget their name). She was using it to transport from planet to planet, basically plant life on each planet would form a new body for her (I think!) and that was the cause of her green color. This was long ago in Steve Englehart's Silver Surfer.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Ghost View Post
    At one point I believe she had some sort of connection to a plant like race somehow connected to the Kree (I forget their name). She was using it to transport from planet to planet, basically plant life on each planet would form a new body for her (I think!) and that was the cause of her green color. This was long ago in Steve Englehart's Silver Surfer.
    this race was called Cotati, I don't know if Groot is also member of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    Yep, Cotati thanks.

To the TC there is a Mantis appreciation thread here, they can probably answer your questions in more detail.

Invincible Member

In the earlier comics she was human with martial arts abilities and her "antennae" was just hair style. But she always had the potential to became the "Celestial Madonna"

Her change in appearance is due to her living with Cotati who were a race of intelligent plant life. While there she developed psychic powers and other abilities.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post

Groot is a member of the race called Flora Colossi from Planet X (hey writers were NOT very imaginative in 1960 it seems lol) which is unconnected to Matis and the Cotati.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    In the earlier comics she was human with martial arts abilities and her "antennae" was just hair style. But she always had the potential to became the "Celestial Madonna"

Her change in appearance is due to her living with Cotati who were a race of intelligent plant life. While there she developed psychic powers and other abilities.
    This. When she first appeared in Avengers Volume 1, #114 alongside Swordsman, she was Vietnamese. Her hair was styled to look like antennae. When she married a member of the Cotati that looked like the ghost of Swordsman (I know, I know, but it was the seventies lol), she became the Celestial Madonna and her skin became green. Bizarre I know, but I kind of liked Steve Englehart's run on Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    This. When she first appeared in Avengers Volume 1, #114 alongside Swordsman, she was Vietnamese. Her hair was styled to look like antennae. When she married a member of the Cotati that looked like the ghost of Swordsman (I know, I know, but it was the seventies lol), she became the Celestial Madonna and her skin became green. Bizarre I know, but I kind of liked Steve Englehart's run on Avengers.
    Steve Englehart's run was one of The Avengers best runs ever, in my opinion.

Sandy Hausler

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

If I am remembering right after she "mated" with the Cotati her original body turned to pure energy or something. When she came back in the 80's Silver Surfer book she was green because that was a plant based body the Cotati had made for her. I know she latter appeared in the Celestial Quest mini series and looked more like her original self but don't know how.

Incredible Member

Yeah, I think you're right about the pure energy thing. I couldn't remember how exactly her skin turned green, but that's it. Regarding Celestial Quest, I can't honestly remember. I really liked Engleart's writing from back in the day, but that mini series was pretty bad.

Mantis' human body is of human skin tone. Mantis' Cotati plant simulcran body is green.

Mantis these days either human body or Cotati body have 2 black antennae on her head which allows her empathic and telepathic powers. In the new GoTG 2 movie, Mantis has human skin tone with pink antennae.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I can see why they gave her the more human looking skin tone in the movie. Having 3 members of the team with green skin would have just been a little too much.

Yes.

Although I always thought if Gamora had all black hair with antennae, she would have really looked like comic book Mantis.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I can see why they gave her the more human looking skin tone in the movie. Having 3 members of the team with green skin would have just been a little too much.
    Yeah, and if they included Bug, there would be another one lol!