Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I have read further than you have, and I can assure you him and his place in the narrative are quite bland. He is three pieces of white bread trying to be a sandwich. Same with Etta, and it's worse in her case. Because unlike Steve, Etta was never boring.
    Then I am not missing much it felt like Mr. Perez was not fixing anything regarding Steve and Etta Candy at all. I read the stories regarding Etta's weight issues and I could not find anything interesting about them but at least her need was well-defined and her desire manifested well but it was at a very low standard to create a complex character. No wonder later writers didn't want to use Perez's Steve Trevor they didn't want to be saddled with a white bread character. They could have tried to improve do what Mr. Perez failed to do but the damage already done.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-06-2018 at 11:55 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Im not sure what Diana Trevor adds to the story that other normal women don't. She was a plot device to explain Diana's name and provide a reason for a gun being on the island. Rucka provided a much more elegant sition: just use Steve's. Her going back to the island to learn the long origin about her name just after she got to the outside world is a massive momentum killer. With the exception of get first meeting with Cheetah, the first 14 issues were explaining every detail of her origin and it was a slog. It also made their connection about Steve's mother instead of any meaningful bond with Steve himself. Which is badbecause he is a regular cast member, one of the few consistent ones she had, and his mother vanishes after that.

Multiple goddesses isn't too complicated, but I'm not sure what they bring to the table that Aphrodite and Athena didn t do on their own. Aphrodite even got shortchanged by the narrative quite a bit compared to her original role.
    Diane Trevor shows the heroism and sacrifice women outside Themyscira are capable of.

You mean besides the different power sets, view points and personalities. Aphrodite never had much of a role to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    I have and so far what he has done with Steve does not quite impress me. Steve lacks two basic components that make characters interesting need and desire. A need is this thing a character yearns for and desire is the manifestation of that character committing himself or herself to that need and Steve's need is ill defined and remains ill-defined.
    As opposed to when? Because I certainly never saw this with any version of Steve not even the Chris Pine version.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Diane Trevor shows the heroism and sacrifice women outside Themyscira are capable of.
    That is such a bland idea and does not deliver the right wow factor.

Honest question. How much of the dislike for Perez's Steve has to do with him not being a love interest anymore? Because all the complaints against him I see apply to Marston's version. Etta had more to her under Perez than a gag character.

That is such a bland idea and does not deliver the right wow factor.
    Bland to you. Not to others.

As opposed to when? Because I certainly never saw this with any version of Steve not even the Chris Pine version.
    The Chris Pine version's need was to save the world which was cultivated from learning from his father and it manifested in the form of him actively working to stop World War I. You need a keen eye for this sort of thing.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-06-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Bland to you. Not to others.
    A jagged line is more interesting look at than a straight line and from what I can see it was just not that special.

The Chris Pine version's need was to save the world and it manifested in the form of him actively working to stop World War I.
    Okay. How is this different from any version of Steve that didn't die?

A jagged line is more interesting look at than a straight line and from what I can see it was just not that special.
    No one else in the history of the world believes this.

Honest question. How much of the dislike for Perez's Steve has to do with him not being a love interest anymore? Because all the complaints against him I see apply to Marston's version. Etta had more to her under Perez than a gag character.
    It could be one part the love interest issue the other part bland characterisation or both at the same time.

Okay. How is this different from any version of Steve that didn't die?
    He died a more complex and interesting character because there was depth to him as well as some quirks he was less predictable character from what I saw. And there was motive that was exclusive to him that defined as oppse to his obsession with Diana.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-06-2018 at 12:13 PM.

No one else in the history of the world believes this.
    Don't take my word for just watch shows like Death Note and you'll see what I mean.

Don't take my word for just watch shows like Death Note and you'll see what I mean.
    The story with a very different premise and cast? Apples and oranges.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-06-2018 at 12:16 PM.

He died a more complex and interesting character because there was depth to him as well as some quirks he was less predictable character from what I saw. And there was motive that was exclusive to him that defined as oppse to his obsession with Diana.
    Little to no difference from any version except he died.

And you know, I can't help but find it s little odd you've judged this entire run solely on how it treats Steve with no regard for anything else. I mean, you do know he isn't the main character, right?