Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Issue #3, with Frazer Irving on art, was really good. This is a spotlight on Gamora, giving us some insight on her recent change of mood. Duggan hearkens back to classic Starlin for the answers and what's revealed here looks set to led into to some cool stuff. I had full confidence ahead of time that this run would be a good one, given the creative team, and so far it's definitely living up to expectations. If anyone's not picking this up yet, give it a shot!
    It's amazing how he doesn't get much work in the industry. He's easily a top 5 favorite artist of mine. I really hope he stays on the book. The only issue I have is with his baby groot, which didn't look so babyish lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    It's amazing how he doesn't get much work in the industry. He's easily a top 5 favorite artist of mine. I really hope he stays on the book. The only issue I have is with his baby groot, which didn't look so babyish lol.
    I imagine he might stay on doing these kinds of "in-between" stories. And I bet he's offered plenty of work but probably just can't draw at the pace needed for a regular monthly assignment. Just guessing.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    But... he isn't baby Groot. He's just stuck at a small size Groot.

Issue #3 was probably my favorite comic of 2017. Gamora is one of the most neglected characters in comics as far as telling Gamora-centric stories, & her background is just full of potential to tell great stories. I don't really get it. This, though, this was a great start. I loved everything about this last issue.
    MARVEL - All-New Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Men Gold, Thanos, Hawkeye (trade)
    DC - Doom Patrol, Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye, Shade the Changing Girl, Mother Panic, Bug!: The Adventures of Forager, Mister Miracle
    Non-Big Two - Forever waiting on another arc of The Umbrella Academy, I Hate Fairyland (trade)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    But... he isn't baby Groot. He's just stuck at a small size Groot.

Issue #3 was probably my favorite comic of 2017. Gamora is one of the most neglected characters in comics as far as telling Gamora-centric stories, & her background is just full of potential to tell great stories. I don't really get it. This, though, this was a great start. I loved everything about this last issue.
    Eh, I'm picking up the I am Groot series, and they clearly lean towards the baby groot design from the movies in comparison to Irving's design. So that's confusing as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    First Look: ALL-NEW GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #4

http://www.comicosity.com/first-look...-the-galaxy-4/

.....And here's a Fuller Looks at the Preview Pages of Issue #4.......

PS....Poor, poor Rocket....!!

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

The movie synergy stuff is ruining the book for me, but outside of that, the Gamora stuff we're currently getting is opening up some interesting potentials
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    The movie synergy stuff is ruining the book for me, but outside of that, the Gamora stuff we're currently getting is opening up some interesting potentials
    It definitely borrows a lot of themes from the MCU, but the book itself has been great. Gamora's story has been entirely unique, Groot's energy is being drained into others of his species & I can't wait to see where that leads us. Drax is a pascifist, etc. There's a lot to excite about this series, IMO. Star-Lord hasn't had anything really interesting happen yet, but it looks like issue #5 will change that.
    DC - Doom Patrol, Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye, Shade the Changing Girl, Mother Panic, Bug!: The Adventures of Forager, Mister Miracle
    Non-Big Two - Forever waiting on another arc of The Umbrella Academy, I Hate Fairyland (trade)

The Annual that came out last week (which tied into Secret Empire) was really distracting to me just how much MCU synergy overload there was. Not only do you have Mantis hanging out in a place very similar looking to Ego's ship from Vol. 2, but then you got Yondu and the Ravagers, which I completely forgot they brought into the book from that Year One story.

Overall the MCU synergy for this book hasn't been too bad, they've been doing really interesting things with Gamora and Groot and the storytelling has been solid, biggest thing it affected to me is that this Star-Lord has just been very un-interesting, especially compared to how he was previously, so I'm hoping that will get better soon.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    The Annual that came out last week (which tied into Secret Empire) was really distracting to me just how much MCU synergy overload there was. Not only do you have Mantis hanging out in a place very similar looking to Ego's ship from Vol. 2, but then you got Yondu and the Ravagers, which I completely forgot they brought into the book from that Year One story.

Overall the MCU synergy for this book hasn't been too bad, they've been doing really interesting things with Gamora and Groot and the storytelling has been solid, biggest thing it affected to me is that this Star-Lord has just been very un-interesting, especially compared to how he was previously, so I'm hoping that will get better soon.
    Issue #5 is supposed going to tackle him. Rocket hasn't had anything crazy happen for him, but he's definitely had a voice in this book & is a huge part of it. Once #5 comes out I think all of the characters will have had their fair share of time in the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Issue #5 is supposed going to tackle him. Rocket hasn't had anything crazy happen for him, but he's definitely had a voice in this book & is a huge part of it. Once #5 comes out I think all of the characters will have had their fair share of time in the spotlight.
    Rocket's the one who's been affected the least, so I'm all good with everything he's done in the book. My biggest worry whenever Rocket is being written is when he is portrayed as incompetent and not as smart as he claims, but what I love most about him is that he's so arrogant because he can back it up and it's just everyone else who underestimates him. Hasn't been much, but the Rocket in All-New is the latter so I'm glad.

And yeah, we'll see what happens with Peter in #5, I do hope eventually down the line we do go back to dealing with his past (his sister and father are still out there), but now they just seem focused on portraying him as much as movie Peter as possible.

Fantastic Member

Rocket's the one who's been affected the least, so I'm all good with everything he's done in the book. My biggest worry whenever Rocket is being written is when he is portrayed as incompetent and not as smart as he claims, but what I love most about him is that he's so arrogant because he can back it up and it's just everyone else who underestimates him. Hasn't been much, but the Rocket in All-New is the latter so I'm glad.

And yeah, we'll see what happens with Peter in #5, I do hope eventually down the line we do go back to dealing with his past (his sister and father are still out there), but now they just seem focused on portraying him as much as movie Peter as possible.
    The only thing he really has in common with movie Star-Lord is his love for music. He's his own thing that's different from the past interpretations and different from the movie versions. Duggan also said that Star-Lord would have some cool moments in his run when asked if the character would get anything like he did in DnA run. The current thing they are doing with him is that he seems to be the least put together person on the team currently, but #5 is likely going to show us the truth.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Is the annual worth picking up?

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Perhaps I should quantify what I meant by the synergy with the MCU - I guess I meant the little eye roll moments, like Drax suddenly being literal, the Milano getting name dropped over and over, the design changes for the Elders (though that wasnt this book that started that).

Little things that seem to be there only to appease the 7 new readers the film inspired and that are just so blatant as to be eye rolling and thus a distraction. To me anyway
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Perhaps I should quantify what I meant by the synergy with the MCU - I guess I meant the little eye roll moments, like Drax suddenly being literal, the Milano getting name dropped over and over, the design changes for the Elders (though that wasnt this book that started that).

Little things that seem to be there only to appease the 7 new readers the film inspired and that are just so blatant as to be eye rolling and thus a distraction. To me anyway
    Yeah, I got ya, that's what was so distracting about the Annual to me, the overload of sudden movie references.

Also to answer The Negative Zone's question, it was alright. If you're a fan of the book and are curious, then it's worth checking out, but it's nothing too special. The story is well written, like all of Duggan's work, and the art's nice, it's just the little things in it that annoyed me personally. Secret Empire's only used as a reason to get the story started, and the rest of it is just a standalone story with the Guardians, Yondu, and the Ravagers.

Amazing Member

Yeah, I got ya, that's what was so distracting about the Annual to me, the overload of sudden movie references.

Also to answer The Negative Zone's question, it was alright. If you're a fan of the book and are curious, then it's worth checking out, but it's nothing too special. The story is well written, like all of Duggan's work, and the art's nice, it's just the little things in it that annoyed me personally. Secret Empire's only used as a reason to get the story started, and the rest of it is just a standalone story with the Guardians, Yondu, and the Ravagers.
    Chad Bowers & Chris Sims wrote the annual, not Duggan.