Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

bart jenni 4.jpg

Why is it that these little Kid Mercury comics are still better than anything done with poor Bart in the DCU in almost a decade and a half?

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    bart jenni 4.jpg

Why is it that these little Kid Mercury comics are still better than anything done with poor Bart in the DCU in almost a decade and a half?
    Awwwww.

This is so cute I'm still on the first ten issues of Impulse, but I love the relationship he has with Max.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Awwwww.

This is so cute I'm still on the first ten issues of Impulse, but I love the relationship he has with Max.
    Bart and Max's relationship is the heart and soul of the book. When you get back up to Mercury Falling, you'll appreciate it even more. Actually, there's a LOT of little things from the stories before it that subtly tie into Mercury Falling. So good...

But yeah, first 10 issues huh? By the time you're done with them, you'll have gotten your first real taste of Jenni Ognats. Most of her appearances are in Legion books, but whenever she pops up in Impulse or Flash, it's gold.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

How did I miss the advertising of May's Young Justice TB?!

Fixed. Should get my copy by the end of the month.

Bart as Impulse was just pure goodness.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

BANNED

Source: nottodaygravity on twitter

Bart in his YJTV s3 Kid Flash outfit !IMG_9320.jpg

BANNED

source: Nottodaygravity on twitter

bart in his yjtv s3 kid flash outfit !IMG_9320.jpg
    oh god it has the tron lines! I'm getting lobdell flashbacks! I can't go back!!!

oh god it has the tron lines! I'm getting lobdell flashbacks! I can't go back!!!
    Hey!! This one looks cute don't compare it to Lobdell's ugly design

And it kind of looks better than his KF costume as well

Source: nottodaygravity on twitter

Bart in his YJTV s3 Kid Flash outfit !IMG_9320.jpg
    Which is the same as the Kid Flash suit from the Judas Contract animated movie (I guess Bourassa was trying it out there).

Mighty Member

So I've started reading Impulse (along with the 90s Superboy and Robin runs). My only exposure to the series before was the Dead Heat crossover. I am just blown away with how good it is, especially individual issues, particularly issue 6 and 12. I'm up to issue 15 now, and my only concern is whether the quality is going to hold up when Waid leaves. He does as great a job with Bart and Max as he does with Wally and Linda in the main series.

I do have to say though that given what I've read I really don't get the criticism that Bart is not himself in John's Teen Titans series. The Bart presented there seems very much like a natural evolution of the Bart in Impulse. He seems to have matured a bit as people do as they get older, but he's still got all the same traits he has here (unlike a certain Flash run down the road). It's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    So I've started reading Impulse (along with the 90s Superboy and Robin runs). My only exposure to the series before was the Dead Heat crossover. I am just blown away with how good it is, especially individual issues, particularly issue 6 and 12. I'm up to issue 15 now, and my only concern is whether the quality is going to hold up when Waid leaves. He does as great a job with Bart and Max as he does with Wally and Linda in the main series.

I do have to say though that given what I've read I really don't get the criticism that Bart is not himself in John's Teen Titans series. The Bart presented there seems very much like a natural evolution of the Bart in Impulse. He seems to have matured a bit as people do as they get older, but he's still got all the same traits he has here (unlike a certain Flash run down the road). It's great.
    If I remember correctly, after Waid leaves his run, Dezago takes over and that's where the Mercury Falling arc happens! I have been meaning to read the first issues, but I saw the MC falling trade and I just couldn't resist. But the thing about Johns TT is that his sudden "maturity" comes out of nowhere, and takes off a lot of what made Bart fun imo, i think Johns made him angstier than needed, especially regarding his relationship with barry when he came back.

If I remember correctly, after Waid leaves his run, Dezago takes over and that's where the Mercury Falling arc happens! I have been meaning to read the first issues, but I saw the MC falling trade and I just couldn't resist. But the thing about Johns TT is that his sudden "maturity" comes out of nowhere, and takes off a lot of what made Bart fun imo, i think Johns made him angstier than needed, especially regarding his relationship with barry when he came back.
    Bart became Kid Flash after the Flashes had fought Zoom and Graduation Day, right?

I think looking at that would give him sufficient enough reason to maybe mature a little more or act a tad differently, though I think he's still a pretty fun character in his own Bart-way as Kid Flash from what I'm reading of the Johns run.

But that's just me.

Mighty Member

Sakuyamons, I didn't say he was mature. Just more mature. What you would expect from 16 year old versus a 14 year old. And he's always had some angst alongside the fun side, even when Waid was writing him. And he's still a really fun character, fighting with Beast Boy for the remote, crashing the Batmobile, or washing Speedy's quiver and breaking the washing machine. It is without a doubt the same characterization.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

I've given my piece about Bart's character assassination on multiple occasions, along with how terrible a decision it was for him to become Kid Flash. I'd just be repeating myself for the umpteenth time.

In regards to the quality of Impulse after Waid leaves, you have nothing to worry about. Degazo, while repeating a few of the same beats as Waid, continues to keep up the high quality to the end. As Sakuyamons said, Mercury Falling was written by Degazo, and maybe it's just because Bart and Max mean SO much to me, I really do love it almost as much as, if not more than, Return of Barry Allen.

Mighty Member

I've given my piece about Bart's character assassination on multiple occasions, along with how terrible a decision it was for him to become Kid Flash. I'd just be repeating myself for the umpteenth time.
    Well, it's definitely not character assassination. Even if you feel he was written out of character, that's a very different thing than character assassination.

Honestly, the Kid Flash thing isn't a huge deal. He's acts the same. Honestly, I think the transition is pretty seemless. It isn't until he becomes that Flash that he starts being not Bart Allen-y.

In regards to the quality of Impulse after Waid leaves, you have nothing to worry about. Degazo, while repeating a few of the same beats as Waid, continues to keep up the high quality to the end. As Sakuyamons said, Mercury Falling was written by Degazo, and maybe it's just because Bart and Max mean SO much to me, I really do love it almost as much as, if not more than, Return of Barry Allen.
    Degazo doesn't join until issue 50 though, right? And Waid leaves after 27. How's the gap between?

I am looking forward to Mercury Falling as I've heard good things. However, since I'm only on 17 (Read two more since I last wrote, both of which were great, but the one where Max's relationship to Helen is revealed was especially good), it might be a while. I'm trying to read Robin and Superboy at the same time, but so far Impulse has been the superior title, so I may move through it quicker.