Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by G-Potion View Post
    Catherine might be Jason's birth mother, or, if not, Nocturna.
    Say what now? Nocturna? I have been wishing for her to be included in Jason's continuity for so long!

BANNED

Jason adressing his own thing in his head fits the POV thing. I just rather they expand the whole situation as well as the reason he went there instead of magically appearing in the warehouse. Last Crusade is sligthly different. Jason and Bruce knew Joker had escaped and wanted to catch him before he dissapeared off the map so chances are he would obviously still be in Gotham or surroundings. Hence why Jason wnt there alone. It`s mix of proving he could take the old man`s place to a desire to catch the Joker before he kept doing the same old.

If you make this only a Jason went there just because, it weakens the overall story. Yes I`m aware by keeping it vague you don`t need to adress that point. It doesn`t have to be Sheila, I actually would enjoy Nocturna being retconned as his real mother. Not only because her character and decisions are far more palatable but because it would add a layer as to why Jason would feel responsible as he does besides "failing Bruce" or his crusade.

I can live with the vagueness but I would respect even more the creative team being balsy and going there. And if it`s Sheila..adress it. Point blank.

Just so.

(You could literally end the issue with Jason saying something like that to her).

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

From what I've heard, Lobdell has zero interest on using Nocturna.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Hmm. This was the weakest issue yet. Artemis' plot is lacking surprises and Arkila is a weak antagonist due a lack of proper development on her character and relationship with Artemis.

Jason amd Bizarro's plots are much more interesting but this is one of those moments where a longer arc would've been preferable. Jason's conflict was solved too quick and Bizarro is sort of a footnote.

Still an enjoyable read but not as good as before.

Mighty Member

Agreed. That was my concern in the preview as well, which was alot of the important pages of the actual issue. Artemis past and plot with her ex really isn't grabbing me and Bizzaro could've been taken out completely. To be honest, I felt all the issues of this week were on the weak side, so at least the Jason part was enjoyable.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
    Agreed. That was my concern in the preview as well, which was alot of the important pages of the actual issue. Artemis past and plot with her ex really isn't grabbing me and Bizzaro could've been taken out completely. To be honest, I felt all the issues of this week were on the weak side, so at least the Jason part was enjoyable.
    I know we disagree about 'Tec, but clearly someone needs to be reading New Super-Man (AKA the most consistently great Rebirth book)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    I know we disagree about 'Tec, but clearly someone needs to be reading New Super-Man (AKA the most consistently great Rebirth book)
    I do! Just haven't got to this week's issue yet. It's in fact my last one and I expect it to be the best overall. It and Deathstroke are easily the stand out Rebirth titles overall.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
    I do! Just haven't got to this week's issue yet. It's in fact my last one and I expect it to be the best overall. It and Deathstroke are easily the stand out Rebirth titles overall.
    Oh, alright, cool! Yeah, this week's issue was just as good as ever so it'll probably be your favorite pull this week.

Finally got the chance to read it and boy, I didn't see the twist with Alika coming.

Bizarro part was so precious and put smile on my face. The "duh" moment and him trying to take the refugees to Jason because he didn't know what to do made me laugh.

And Jason part was just brutal and I genuinely felt sad for him. The fact that he was tortured and didn't even notice because he was lost in his mind was just....man...and the general definitely messed with the wrong guy!

Definitely another enjoyable issue and I can't wait for the conclusion next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Finally got the chance to read it and boy, I didn't see the twist with Alika coming.

Bizarro part was so precious and put smile on my face. The "duh" moment and him trying to take the refugees to Jason because he didn't know what to do made me laugh.

And Jason part was just brutal and I genuinely felt sad for him. The fact that he was tortured and didn't even notice because he was lost in his mind was just....man...and the general definitely messed with the wrong guy!

Definitely another enjoyable issue and I can't wait for the conclusion next month.
    What I think as well. Was afraid I wouldn't love it as much since I spoiled myself with the long preview. Ended up loving Bizzaro's scenes, loving Akila/Artemis relationship disclosure and Akila's weapon call being similar to Artemis's. Jason's part despite the preview spoiling most of it, still managed to surprise with the torture twist at the end.

RHATO still going strong.

Something to mention:

spoilers:
    DUring the full page spread Jason scene there was one more person there tied up. Jay may be repressing some things.
    end of spoilers
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Love the issue, but I wish it was longer! They really have to cram a lot in not that many pages.

I love the Jason, Artemis, and Bizarro stories. I liked the original RHATO line up, but with this one, I feel like all of the characters and their stories are equally engaging, which I didn't always feel with the originals.

And the artwork is gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Something to mention:

spoilers:
    DUring the full page spread Jason scene there was one more person there tied up. Jay may be repressing some things.
    end of spoilers
    A good thing if it means there's more to be explored later. As much as I love this issue, by itself it's not enough to make Jason "move on" just like that.

BANNED

Yeah Jason`s resolution needs to be longer and so far the whole mother issue is still left untouched. There was cleary someone else tied yp with him. Evem if it wasn`t his mother, that someone, whoever he/she is, should have some history to be left there with him. I`m really hopefull Loedbell may dwell more on that, now that we moved on with the Artemis plot which, arguably was the slowest and less enganging of the three. But that`s hardly her fault.

Disagree about the Bizarro bits not being good. They are. See him fleshing his character muscles is precious but I can give the nod to whoever felt you could save it for next issue.

BANNED

On Jason`s side...oh boy, too many questions still. Currently, Loedbell is the one Batman line character who has gone psychologically deep on a titural character. And it`s genuily hard to read some of them parts. It`s darker than anything else you have (even King`s suicide touches on Bruce were left in the form of simbolism, not directly touched upon). From the moment you read something like this

You know you`re on a Jungarian journey to rediscovery (in a case of relevant similarity do read the story behind Carl Jung`s "Red Book" - appropiately so) when you have a writer with an engaging, no holds barrel, balsy character study that is severely lacking in the franchise. RebirthJason is on a road where each chapter has him metting his demons and setting confrontations that would break most normal people and I can only applaud the guts to do it because it`s certainly the sort of material you would best expect from a Vertigo line, nevermind a mainstream title.

One of the things that stood out this week is Jason rejecting to his own childhood the label of victim as he watched "Robin" die. At the same time, he`s in control of the visions happening. He knows what they are and accepts them for what they tell him but there`s still details that restrain him. That figure in the corner is the only silhouette that is completely dark despite the damp light in the warehouse.

So he`s his own fault and carries just as Bruce carries his. This is another line linking the two together. This time with both as accepting adults. More and more, Bruce and Jason are on a similar level. Joker, of course is the third wheel of responsability, not that he`d care to show (he does, tho, as you can see by his confrontation with Jason in the DOTF tie-in) but oh, oh, the boogie man doesn`t scare Jason anymore. This isn`t new, but this time the reader is awarded with the "what if" scene we all thought about before and it`s glorious. Round holes while defiantly rejecting being haunted by grim jokes (in another awesome scene, RobinJason does tell Joker`s to virtually kiss his ass - see, he wasn`t afraid, "merely" haunted).

All great but I want the creative to keep pushing it more. There`s still an elephant in the room that needs adressing.