Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Kill or Be Killed Discussion/Spoilers

I recently bought the first several issues of Brubaker's Kill or Be Killed and read the first issue yesterday. Loved it. The Punisher has always been one of my favorite Marvel characters, so initially, that was the biggest sell for me... a vigilante of sorts taking out bad people. After finishing the issue it's apparent that this series is a lot more than that. I'm really glad to read that it was decided this would be an ongoing rather than a maxi series or limited series.

Seeing as how it constantly dominates voting in our weekly Image Comics threads, I figured it deserves its own central discussion thread. I've only read the first issue so far, but spoilers are welcome for discussion here, as I plan to be caught up by the end of the weekend anyway.

It's probably my favourite ongoing that I'm reading now. I love Phillips' art and I've loved everything I've read from Brubaker (granted, that isn't much so far). Every month or so I look at what comics I'm pulling and most of them I think "shall I drop this?", "would I miss reading it if I did?" etc. but Kill or Be Killed is one comic that I definitely will not drop.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Just finished issue 6.. I'll probably be caught up by tonight. Absolutely loving it.

I picked up issue #8 today but I've not read it yet. Love the cover for it!

What do you think of the demon? Real? Or all in Dylan's head?

I could go either way honestly. The demon being real opens up a lot of supernatural stories Brubaker could tell. The demon being in his head makes Dylan even more complex of a character. The supernatural aspect is kind of attractive, but right now I'd say it's all in his head.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I picked up issue #8 today but I've not read it yet. Love the cover for it!

What do you think of the demon? Real? Or all in Dylan's head?
    I hope the demon is a product of Dylan's mental illness. I will be disappointed if the demon is real.

Just picked up the first two issues. I'm loving it, as expected with everything this creative team touches...

I'm also hoping the demon is a part of his fractured mental state, but either way I'm sure Brubaker will make it compelling...
    #MagnetoWasRight

Anyone read issue #8? I've just finished reading it. It didn't feel like a great deal happened in this issue, but that last panel should set up an interesting issue #9.

Invincible Member

Anyone read issue #8? I've just finished reading it. It didn't feel like a great deal happened in this issue, but that last panel should set up an interesting issue #9.
    I liked it. I like the interesting moral dilemma of Dylan picking a target that wasn't the I guess easy to hate "stereotypical" evil doer.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I liked it. I like the interesting moral dilemma of Dylan picking a target that wasn't the I guess easy to hate "stereotypical" evil doer.
    It does make you think where the story will go. He seems to be getting more desperate and making more mistakes, although I imagine in the next issue...

spoilers:
    he'll kill one or more of the Russian mob, or his dealer, to appease the demon, seeing as they're all "bad people".
    end of spoilers

Loved the cliffhanger at the end of the issue. I know it's his own creation, but Brubaker's voice for Dylan is really good. He's so convincing when he talks to the reader.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I'm in agreement with those hoping the demon in all in Dylan's head, but having read previous Brubaker works, I kinda expect it's not. But I am indeed enjoying this title.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I finally got round to reading issue #9 last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I did feel a bit bad for Rex though.

I finally got round to reading issue #9 last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I did feel a bit bad for Rex though.
    I thought it was incredible. Best issue yet.

But yeah, feel terrible for Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I thought it was incredible. Best issue yet.

But yeah, feel terrible for Rex.
    The tension I felt during the scene in and around the van was brilliant. Then a bit of a sucker punch at the end when you find out Rex didn't make it really got to me. Like you say, brilliant issue!