Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Editorial Shakeup: Doyle, Chase, McCallum promoted, new Young Readers Imprint

I guess it's smart to give the person who helped shepherd the Rebirth rollout the job of coordinating all the Superhero books, and Doyle should be a good fit for Vertigo/Young Animal.

I'm guessing "Young Readers" is going to just be a new "DC Kids" line? Including the DC Super Hero Girls stuff, anything by Baltazar/Franco, etc.?

I'm just curious if Daniel Way will keep his position in Young Animal. I really hope so.

Interesting. Wonder where Berganza fits in this?

Im assuming he'll remain in charge of the Superman line, unless the new guy decides (and is allowed) to remove him.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

I get why it exists from a business POV; they think kids are more likely to buy books directly targeted at them.

But creatively, I don't see the point.

I was 5/6 when I was reading No Man's Land, and I freaking loved it! And honestly, I think just gearing the main line of books toward all-ages would be better for the company in the long term in terms of bringing in new readers, as opposed to giving them kidified versions of the characters, who they'll grow out of and possibly never revisit in the main comics.

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    I get why it exists from a business POV; they think kids are more likely to buy books directly targeted at them.

But creatively, I don't see the point.

I was 5/6 when I was reading No Man's Land, and I freaking loved it! And honestly, I think just gearing the main line of books toward all-ages would be better for the company in the long term in terms of bringing in new readers, as opposed to giving them kidified versions of the characters, who they'll grow out of and possibly never revisit in the main comics.
    As someone who mostly read all-ages comics growing up, I think it's great to have a line aimed at kids that still tells solid and enjoyable stories while also allowing the main line to be more mature or geared towards older fans (when appropriate) .

Be pretty cool if they revived the Young Justice tie-in comic with this...or maybe a Justice League Action book ?

Astonishing Member

Sounds like a power play to neuter Doyle by putting him in charge of low performing imprints and expecting him to squeeze water from a rock like what they did to Karen during the Didio era plus I guess this means "exiling" him away from the decision making center to the periphery of NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I'm just curious if Daniel Way will keep his position in Young Animal. I really hope so.
    His name is Gerard, the My Chemical Romance guy. Daniel Way was the Marvel writer best known for Daken and Deadpool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Interesting. Wonder where Berganza fits in this?

Im assuming he'll remain in charge of the Superman line, unless the new guy decides (and is allowed) to remove him.
    Probably going nowhere. He has seniority at DC and is probably one of the longest lasting editors at DC despite his past indiscretions
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 05-05-2017 at 06:30 PM.

The 'Young Readers' line is probably geared to work in conjunction with their deal with Scholastic.

And DC is probably noticing how well BoomBox is doing.

It will likely give them an outlet for any upcoming Gotham Academy comics or OGNs, to allow it to continue outside normal continuity, and give Scholastic more product to sell.
    And I really wouldn't be surprised if they manage to pull in Rick Riordan for a GN or pull a rabbit out of the hat and finally get the okay to do a comic adaptation of Harry Potter.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Sounds like a power play to neuter Doyle by putting him in charge of low performing imprints and expecting him to squeeze water from a rock like what they did to Karen during the Didio era plus I guess this means "exiling" him away from the decision making center to the periphery of NYC.
    Why do you think they would need to do that though, given his successes and how he's generally seemed to be a team player as far as DC was concerned?

Astonishing Member

What does him being a team player have to do with it? Given his past successes, his rise through the ranks would marginalize or displace certain people above him. A promotion to the side would get rid of him. If he was really indispensable, why give him a job that everyone knows will go nowhere with very low potential for growth and success. Why not give him Pat McCallum's job instead? DC publishing's bread and butter are still superheroes and Batman is that crown jewel.

What is this Game of Thrones, lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    What does him being a team player have to do with it? Given his past successes,
    Past success. Team player. You reward that with a promotion. That's how a business operates.

And I think you're kinda blind as to the revenue potential of a kids line (remember, the customer is NOT the kids).

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Past success. Team player. You reward that with a promotion. That's how a business operates.

And I think you're kinda blind as to the revenue potential of a kids line (remember, the customer is NOT the kids).
    Not to mention most of the kids line sales probably won't be in the direct market, but rather through Scholastic's book fairs and the bookstores.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Not to mention most of the kids line sales probably won't be in the direct market, but rather through Scholastic's book fairs and the bookstores.
    Also? Kid's lines are already a proven success. DC Superhero Girls made a BILLION dollars just last year.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Yeah, the Kids line likely will NOT be a low-performing imprint. So the idea Doyle's being stifled is based off of little of merit. If anything its a sign of how much they value him to put him in charge of an imprint that does indeed have a lot of potential based on current trends.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El