Incredible Member

Default Comics & Graphic Novels vs.The Critics

So I saw Sin City many years ago and loved it. I just recently learned there was a sequel. I dunno, maybe I was in a bubble but I don't remember hearing much about it at all.

A guy I know on another forum gave me Sin City and the sequel's respective Rotten Tomatoes scores to show the first one was better. But I'm a DCEU fan. I don't trust that site.

Even still, this "bombardment" of comic book movie critical scores made me curious. A quick Google search later and I found this.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/guide..._the_critics/#

I was hoping to hear what others think of this list. The fact Superman Returns is on here but not Man of Steel makes me want to cry but that's just me. I'm more interested in the opinions of the fine folk here.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

WB owns Rotten Tomatoes, any anti-DC bias in unfounded conspiracy theory.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

It's interesting in that it puts films alongside each other that you would never normally associate. Oldboy (2003) has 80% - the same score as Captain America: The First Avenger!

Maybe they should be put together in a double bill

What this list tells us, I'd say, is that on the whole comic book movies have been rather charitably received.

Rotten Tomatoes is an aggregate. Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad didn't do well on there because a lot of critics across the country didn't like them. It's not a perfect method as it's mainly based off of a Fresh/Rotten dichotomy so in theory a movie that everyone just thinks is meh, could end up having a worse score than a movie where everyone but a few people give terrible scores. And really it's all based on opinion. You may like the DC movies, but that doesn't mean the critics are wrong. I tend to agree with them, does that make me wrong? I will tell you there have been times that I have disagreed with the critics on RT, but I don't stop trusting them because of it.