Default Would anyone like to see Doc Julia join the cast, before Rucka leaves?

I think Wonder Woman is so close, closer than it's been, since the Crisis, ..to nailing down a classic, definitive supporting cast. I know there's probably no time left to shove her into the comic, but, I would pay a liver to see Julia Kappatelis interact with Rebirthed Etta and Ferdinand - so much comedic potential, there. When a certain big, sweaty Amazon princess isn't crying in her arms, Julia's such a GREAT character! With bookish, quirky, adventurous Barbara gone, ..could slightly as wise, cantankerous, sharp-shooting Doc Julia take her place in the cast?

Anybody miss Doc Julia?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-07-2017 at 12:20 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I think Wonder Woman is so close, closer than it's been, since the Crisis, ..to nailing down a classic, definitive supporting cast. I know there's probably no time left to shove her into the comic, but, I would pay a liver to see Julia Kappatelis interact with Rebirthed Etta and Ferdinand - so much comedic potential, there. When a certain big, sweaty Amazon princess isn't crying in her arms, Julia's such a GREAT character! With bookish, quirky, adventurous Barbara gone, ..could slightly as wise, cantankerous, sharp-shooting Doc Julia take her place in the cast?

Anybody miss Doc Julia?
    Hell yeah! I'd love it. Scholars and Wonder Woman are such a good match. And it would be great to see an older woman in the title.

It's so easy to introduce her. She could teach in the same university that Barbara did. Wonder Woman revisits the place for some reason and and voilà.

BANNED

No, it's too late in this run to be adding new characters just for the sake of it.

I'd rather have Vanessa, but you can't have Nessie without Julia

Nah, she's okay but I'll pass. I'd rather see Diana engage with Cassie and Donna in the main WW book before we start bringing back people like Julia. I'd like to see Mala return, I was so pleased to see Morrison use her in Earth One. Nobody ever seems to remember her, she was Diana's BFF on Paradise Island and in many versions was the runner-up in The Contest. She also was the warden of Transformation Island back in the Golden Age.
    Last edited by Thor2014; 05-07-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post

Anybody miss Doc Julia?
    I miss her (and her daughter) but I'd never, ever want to see her back under the current creative team. After Rucka killed, maybe forever, my interest in the character of Cheetah, I wouldn't entrust a used matchstick to him, let alone the human perspective of much of my treasured George Pérez WW run!

Every time my mind goes back to that appalling scene where a George Pérez-lookalike also (coincidentally) called Pérez is shown not being able to get the character -- huh, I mean, interpret her words I shiver at the thought of a Kapatelis woman written by Rucka.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    I miss her (and her daughter) but I'd never, ever want to see her back under the current creative team. After Rucka killed, maybe forever, my interest in the character of Cheetah, I wouldn't entrust a used matchstick to him, let alone the human perspective of much of my treasured George Pérez WW run!

Every time my mind goes back to that appalling scene where a George Pérez-lookalike also (coincidentally) called Pérez is shown not being able to get the character -- huh, I mean, interpret her words I shiver at the thought of a Kapatelis woman written by Rucka.
    Wait what? Was that scene a jab at Perez?

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    Wait what? Was that scene a jab at Perez?
    When I noticed that at the time the issue came out, people replied that it was actually an "affectionate homage". They could be right about Rucka's original intentions, but I saw zero traces of affection and a lot of smugness in the way it was executed.

BANNED

When I noticed that at the time the issue came out, people replied that it was actually an "affectionate homage". They could be right about Rucka's original intentions, but I saw zero traces of affection and a lot of smugness in the way it was executed.
    Yeah, when I read that, I too kinda thought it was kinda off that you actually put George Perez in a room with Diana and somehow or someway make him bungle up translation like that. I guess it was meant as a cute homage, but the execution screwed it up. Think it might have been better if Perez had appeared as a street artist who had sketched Diana... into his and Potters first issue cover?

Spectacular Member

I miss julia so much and she is the one i hope we can see again most.
    one of the most important person to Diana(first one ever meet after leaving themyscira.)
    And they were really experiencing so so much.
    I believe Diana need her in the current rebirth confused situation

BANNED

What was byrne's reason for creating his lame equivalent of the Kapatelis'?

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    What was byrne's reason for creating his lame equivalent of the Kapatelis'?
    Easy, ever since he finished his Post-Crisis run on Superman, Byrne has had this unhealthy obsession with re-inventing the wheel every time he gets a new important assignment. You just have to check his Doom Patrol relaunch from 2004. Was there a reason for him to write it so that every previous incarnation of the team was declared out-of-continuity? No, there wasn't. He just wanted to make his run stand out -- and nothing stands out more (at least in the short term) than a comic that makes everything that came before it theoretically meaningless for the fans.

Easy, ever since he finished his Post-Crisis run on Superman, Byrne has had this unhealthy obsession with re-inventing the wheel every time he gets a new important assignment. You just have to check his Doom Patrol relaunch from 2004. Was there a reason for him to write it so that every previous incarnation of the team was declared out-of-continuity? No, there wasn't. He just wanted to make his run stand out -- and nothing stands out more (at least in the short term) than a comic that makes everything that came before it theoretically meaningless for the fans.
    I've always wondered about that. That always seemed so dumb (and spiteful) that he would replace a pair of characters with basically his own version of the SAME characters!! Also Byrne mainly used his WW run as a vehicle to play around in the DC/Jack Kirby playbox. Most issues had other characters and concepts taking much of the spotlight. A

I'm torn between adding Julia and Artemis. I think this comic needs to get Artemis back under its control, and adding Artemis to the regular cast, her Lothar to Diana's Mandrake, is a way to accomplish that.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!