Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DC Comics Historian

Default New 52 Earth 2 and Rebirth's JSA

Does anyone else hope that the characters from Earth 2 who have literally survived Darkseid and Convergence to get their world back somehow tie into Rebirth and the lost JSA? I mean, whether you like the New 52 or not the Earth 2 storyline was an great book given the circumstances of a dead Batman, missing Superman, and dead Wonder Woman and what it would mean a world that had to live through that.

Could it be that Johnny Thunder with his dreams and nightmares etc etc wished so much for Earth 2 that Dr. Manhattan gave him what he wanted and recreated that world for his friends? Perhaps be made a deal that he now regrets?

We now have Rebirth and the impending threat (I kid, I kid) that they are going to bring back the JSA. Now I am not saying they should be replaced by these characters but does anyone else hope that Earth 2 somehow plays an important role to the Society's return? Batman said in Convergence that they would see the world that became the new Earth 2 again and I truly hope that means that we will see the Society, they will be told of the Multiverse, and of the versions of themselves that mean so much to another world and that somehow like Superman and the Reverse Flash were put back together after being divided that vice versa the essences of the new Society of Earth 2 will be instrumental in resurrecting and reanimating that of our beloved New Earth JSA.

What do you guys think?

It's possible that the Earth-2 characters were the original JSA, recreated by the Thunderbolt, ala Once Upon a Time and Storybrook.
    And the original Trinity, and their deaths and disappearances, were fabricated memories to give them all a sense of reality and a foundation.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

DC Comics Historian

Interesting premise. But Earth 2 is a real place with real people so it would have to be something like that but not fabricated. It would interesting if they were being held somewhere and their thoughts were projecting the creation of and events of Earth 2. I like the idea tho.

Given what we've seen in The Button and Wally's return in Rebirth #1, I think Manhattan has the JSA (and the Legion) in the "stored" timelines they existed in prior to the Flashpoint. Wally was there, too, but was apparently the first to escape (after his time on Tellos or instead?) and his emergence in the New 52 DCU destabilized the timeline, leading to the many changes sweeping throughout the timeline.

The pre-COIE and pre-Flashpoint timelines seemed to either be intact or partially intact from what we see in The Button, and the variant for DC Rebirth #1 shows clear Earth-1 and Earth-2 delineations in the hourglasses, which leads me to believe Manhattan may have actually separated the pre-Flashpoint DCU into its 5 constituent Earths and then build a new one (The New 52) from those aspects of it he felt would weaken certain characters (Superman) the most.

Going by this theory, the post-Rebirth DCU will be a restoration of the pre-Flashpoint DCU with some aspects of the New 52 remaining. As for the JSA on post-Flashpoint Earth-2, I think they're simply modified versions of the post-52 Earth-2 characters and not the characters from the composite New Earth/Earth-Zero.

BANNED

Honestly? I want the New 52 Earth 2 comic left in the dirt and forgotten.

I know Earth-2 has fans, but for me, I want the Pre-Flashpoint JSA back, and I want as little Nu52 stink on it as possible.

Im positively inclined to say No
    The E2 was an interesting concept up to a certain point and that was 2years ago
    when I was reading the comic I never for once took them as a Replacement for the JSA, they were their own thing. The rebirth JSA should have no connection to them just like they never had it to begin wih.

Rebirth is all about how the New52 was sooo terrible. (absolute BS)
    DC likes to give fans of the New52 the middle finger and act like that was the worst period in their publishing history ever.
    So no, they won't include the characters from Earth 2 in any form.
    #EmmaWasRight

Earth-2 was good but I'd like JSA to be it's own thing nonetheless.

Earth 2 was interesting in the beginning (under Robinson), but it never truly replaced my love for the true Golden Age-based JSA.
    So, no, the two concepts shouldn't in anyway be merged/combined for Rebirth.

(However, when DC finally gives us a JSA in Rebirth, it might be interesting to have them eventually meet the New52 "Earth 2" versions. But don't ever combine them together.)

Retired

Johnny's Thunderbolt can do anything.

Amazing Member

Considering they seem to want to bring back the post-Crisis version of the JSA where they live on the main earth (I would prefer the original golden age characters living on Earth 2, but I'll take what I can get), I think at this stage it'd be easier to just reboot them again than to try re-inserting post-Crisis history or tying them in with the Earth 2 cast. Just have them Captain America into the present and start from scratch with their golden age history (and possibly some extra secret history from while they were missing, allowing for some ageing and the Infinity Inc generation) in tact.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Rebirth is all about how the New52 was sooo terrible. (absolute BS)
    DC likes to give fans of the New52 the middle finger and act like that was the worst period in their publishing history ever.
    So no, they won't include the characters from Earth 2 in any form.
    Out of curiosity, what period in their publishing history do you think WAS worse? 2004-2009 maybe, but I'd still argue there were more good books regularly coming out during that time than there ever were during the Nu52, and that had the added benefit of not having the overall feeling of "BETRAYAL."

Those are really the only two times in the company's history where they were putting out more bad books than good books. (and by a mile too)
    Last edited by Assam; 05-07-2017 at 07:51 AM.

BANNED

They could bring back the JSA via post Crisis and make them all a part of Rebirth past...again. Keeping New Earth-2 safe.

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    Out of curiosity, what period in their publishing history do you think WAS worse? 2004-2009 maybe, but I'd still argue there were more good books regularly coming out during that time than there ever were during the Nu52, and that had the added benefit of not having the overall feeling of "BETRAYAL."

Those are really the only two times in the company's history where they were putting out more bad books than good books. (and by a mile too)
    For me the low point historically of DC/National Publications as it was then would be 1950-1955 they were really only doing the Trinity when it came to hero books and they were all heavily sanitized due to the recently created comic code. Because of the book Seduction of the Innocence and the Senate Hearings there was such fear it was a terrible time of stifling creativity.

As for the JSA I want no reference of New 52 Earth-2 it's nothing against Earth-2 it was a fine book but I just don't want the original JSA back I want their descendants and Protégés too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    For me the low point historically of DC/National Publications as it was then would be 1950-1955 they were really only doing the Trinity when it came to hero books and they were all heavily sanitized due to the recently created comic code. Because of the book Seduction of the Innocence and the Senate Hearings there was such fear it was a terrible time of stifling creativity.
    Oh yeah. Forgot about this time. When thinking about DC's history my brain always sort of skips from the 40's to the 60's. I'd still say that that period was better though because at least the books weren't offensively bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I just don't want the original JSA back I want their descendants and Protégés too.
    Yeah, that's a pretty big reason for me as well. Courntey, Maxine, Tommy, Jakeem, Grant, Rick; I love Jay, Alan, and Ted, but for the most part, I prefer the legacy JSAers to the old guard.