Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    I'm obviously an X-MEN fan.. but ok

But it's pretty sad that we're comparing a top 3 X-MEN storyline from the greatest super hero team ever to the lowly unknown Guardians of the Galaxy. Congratulations
    well we are not really doing that. we are asking what is the best comic film of 2014. the answer is not influenced by what is the greatest superhero team ever since the greatest superhero team ever just had one of their worst film in 2016.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Selina View Post
    superman returns is 72/100 on metacritic, placing it higher than the best marvel movie. TWS has a score of 70/100
    Just gonna offer you a chance to go back to Metacritic's site and re-look at this before I prove you wrong.

Unless you mean TWS was your favorite MCU movie, IDK...I'm confused.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Just gonna offer you a chance to go back to Metacritic's site and re-look at this before I prove you wrong.

Unless you mean TWS was your favorite MCU movie, IDK...I'm confused.

many mcu fans have said TWS is the best marvel movie because it is the only marvel film that was actually trying to be for grown ups, have a serious tone and tell some story telling and use drama even though all of it faded by the last arc in favour of more action and destruction.

TWS is closer to the great X-Men movies or even the nolan films that x-men influenced in film style, character dynamics and tone

sadly 1 out of 15 mcu movies does not help mcu case against most of the good x-men films.

BANNED

many mcu fans have said TWS is the best marvel movie because it is the only marvel film that was actually trying to be for grown ups, have a serious tone and tell some story telling and use drama even though all of it faded by the last arc in favour of more action and destruction.

TWS is closer to the great X-Men movies or even the nolan films that x-men influenced in film style, character dynamics and tone

sadly 1 out of 15 mcu movies does not help mcu case against most of the good x-men films.
    I'm insanely curious, mostly because of the terminology you use (aka "grown ups"), but also for other reasons (*cough*), and forgive me (moderators) if it's out of place for me to ask, but...how old are you?

i feel i liked days of future past better, but guardians of the galaxy was a more fun movie. the thing is this, there are actual consequences and things on the line in days of future past. at no point was i worried about the fate of anyone in guardians of the galaxy. even when groot "died" i knew he would be back. with days of future past, i had no idea what would happen, and for me, that puts a little bit ahead of guardians

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    i feel i liked days of future past better, but guardians of the galaxy was a more fun movie. the thing is this, there are actual consequences and things on the line in days of future past. at no point was i worried about the fate of anyone in guardians of the galaxy. even when groot "died" i knew he would be back. with days of future past, i had no idea what would happen, and for me, that puts a little bit ahead of guardians
    A super hero story and you didn't know that the good guys would win?

BANNED

MCU fans inflated GOTG score to 8.1 and critics went easy on the movie so both ratings become irrelevant in a debate that carries subtance
    so X-men don't have fans? i think that You are wrong. You don't have any proof that MCU fans vote there. Even Your article showed that You are wrong and imdb works finr for majority of people

list me 10 reasons why gotg is actually better than dofp.
    gotg has better:
    -story
    -characters
    -jokes
    -action
    -director
    -costumes
    -visuals
    -concept
    -flaw
    -fights

I have listed 11 reasons , I have given the substance and the argument so you do the same. give me reasons why gotg is better in terms of what a good movie is.
    but 6 of these reasons are not true
    gotg done them better
    lol, you just twisted the words in the article. that article showed noting is certain and everything is flawed.
    i didn't twist anything... You twist this article
    and hobbit has 7,4 not 8,0 on imdb...
    The Kingsman has a 74% on RT but a 7.8 on IMDB.
    V for Vendetta has a 73% on RT but an 8.2 on IMDB
    superman returns is 72/100 on metacritic, placing it higher than the best marvel movie. TWS has a score of 70/100
    all the system are deeply flawed and dont prove anything. what proves a movie is better than the other is a real debate and real plot points from us the movie watchers..that is the point of this thread. So lets evalute all aspect for noth films and see which comes out in top.
    they are doing what they should do
    rt = is this movie good or not? yes or no?

and form what I can see, DOFP is winning. those that said DOFP is better are giving in-depth reasons why... even to things like tone, which is my 12th reason. those that liked gotg are not giving any in depth real reason why they think the movie is better. they are just attacking me personally and not addressing the topic....interesting.
    You are attacking everyone personally from the beginning.
    that was your very first post in almost all threads
    example: uncanny avenegrs 23 prevew

and You give false information ... all the time... hobbit has 8,0? no this movie has 7,4.

Maybe there will be a day when Selina will read her posts and understand that she shouldn't start discussion with agression... but this is not this day

A super hero story and you didn't know that the good guys would win?

how did watchmen turn out?

Astonishing Member

The problem is we are comparing two different movies that only have one thing in common, they are both based on comic books. Besides that they are totally different.

Yes, Days of Future Past is more dramatic then Guardians of the Galaxy, while GotG is more silly and fun, but there is nothing wrong with silly and fun. Not every comic book movie has to be Logan or the Dark Knight, sometimes a silly fun adventure, is entertaining and making GoTG super serious would not have worked.

So frankly I like both movies for different reasons, I don't think one is better then the other because they are so different from each other and try to accomplish different things.

I do think Days of Future Past was better then Age of Ultron though, Age of Ultron was mediocre.

MCU fans inflated GOTG score to 8.1 and critics went easy on the movie so both ratings become irrelevant in a debate that carries subtance

I have listed 11 reasons , I have given the substance and the argument so you do the same. give me reasons why gotg is better in terms of what a good movie is.

lol, you just twisted the words in the article. that article showed noting is certain and everything is flawed.

The Kingsman has a 74% on RT but a 7.8 on IMDB.

V for Vendetta has a 73% on RT but an 8.2 on IMDB

all the system are deeply flawed and dont prove anything. what proves a movie is better than the other is a real debate and real plot points from us the movie watchers..that is the point of this thread. So lets evalute all aspect for noth films and see which comes out in top.

and form what I can see, DOFP is winning. those that said DOFP is better are giving in-depth reasons why... even to things like tone, which is my 12th reason. those that liked gotg are not giving any in depth real reason why they think the movie is better. they are just attacking me personally and not addressing the topic....interesting.
    Like I said I love both but I also like a challenge GOTG has flaws but here are my reasons I think it's slightly better than DOFP by using your points.

1. Stronger script...make that superior script with grey areas. (The Guardians themselves were gray they were criminals who for most of the film was out for their own agendas not saving anyone. But you see they grew as characters like in a story it's like story telling ok time to get to the next one with that.).

2. Actual story telling (Exactly how is the story telling better? Both have plot holes like how could Kitty now time travel? WHY LEAVE QUICKSILVER BEHIND? That's a big one.).

3. style over substance...as the film relies heavily on the script than the CGI (Seriously both films relied heavily on CGI so I call this a tie and they both looked great.).

4. superior villains (Can you call Mystique and Magneto villains in that film? Mystique ended up being hailed a national hero see Apocalypse so the villains were the government who were no more developed than Ronan or Thanos at least Nebula was portrayed as having Daddy Issues.).

5. flawed undisneyfied heroes (Again the Guardians were killers and thieves pretty flawed unlike the heroic X-Men saving humanity.).

6. political and social themes (Guardians concentrated more on themes of family and being outsiders it's apples and oranges).

7. depth (This again is a tie for me DOFP starts with a dystopian future and GOTG with a little boy watching his mother die and being kidnapped both had about the same level of depth.).

8. actual stakes (The future of Earth vs the Future of multiple Worlds GOTG wins here to me.).

9. character driven arcs and compelling character dynamics (What arcs only Mystique and Xavier got arcs everyone else was in the same places as when the film started character wise unlike the Guardians who all changed from selfish killers and thieves to heroic unselfish killer and thieves.).

10. cuts through human emotions. (Watching a little boy see his mom died wasn't emotional? More than anything in DOFP for me Groot dying too.).

11. drama over comedy. (Both had drama but it's a rare breed who can mix both and add the needed levity during a taxing drama so GOTG wins it for me.).

Again both films were great and I just find these pissing contest between MCU and Fox fans dumb as long as both companies make good movies I'm happy. Be happy I say we live in a golden age when I was a kid outside of Superman films all we had was Incredible Hulk, Reruns of Adam West Batman, and The Greatest American Hero.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 05-07-2017 at 10:58 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    how did watchmen turn out?
    Yes, point out the one story that subverted the genre on purpose.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Like I said I love both but I also like a challenge GOTG has flaws but here are my reasons I think it's slightly better than DOFP by using your points.

1. Stronger script...make that superior script with grey areas. (The Guardians themselves were gray they were criminals who for most of the film was out for their own agendas not saving anyone. But you see they grew as characters like in a story it's like story telling ok time to get to the next one with that.).

2. Actual story telling (Exactly how is how is the story telling better? Both have plot holes like how could Kitty now time travel? WHY LEAVE QUICKSILVER BEHIND? That's a big one.).

3. style over substance...as the film relies heavily on the script than the CGI (Seriously both films relied heavily on CGI so I calls this a tie and they both looked great.).

4. superior villains (Can you call Mystique and Magneto villains in that film? Mystique ended up being hailed a national hero see Apocalypse so the villains were the government who were no more developed than Ronan or Thanos at least Nebula was portrayed as having Daddy Issues.).

5. flawed undisneyfied heroes (Again the Guardians were killers and thieves pretty flawed unlike the heroes heroic X-Men saving humanity.).

6. political and social themes (Guardians concentrated more on themes of family and being outsiders it's apples and oranges).

7. depth (This again is a tie for me DOFP starts with a dystopian future and GOTG with a little boy watching his mother die and being kidnapped both had about the same level of depth.).

8. actual stakes (The future of Earth vs the Future of multiple Worlds GOTG wins here to me.).

9. character driven arcs and compelling character dynamics (What arcs only Mystique and Xavier got arcs everyone else was in the same places as when the film started character wise unlike the Guardians who all changed from selfish killers and thieves to heroic unselfish killer and thieves.).

10. cuts through human emotions. (Watching a little see his mom died wasn't emotional? More than anything in DOFP for me).

11. drama over comedy. (Both had drama but it's a rare breed who can mix both and add the needed levity during a taxing drama so GOTG wins it for me.).

Again both films were great and I just find these pissing contest between MCU and Fox fans dumb as long as both companies make good movies I'm happy. Be happy I say we live in a golden age when I was a kid outside of Superman films all we had was Incredible Hulk, Reruns of Adam West Batman, and The Greatest American Hero.
    Great post

Yes, point out the one story that subverted the genre on purpose.
    your comment made it seem like the good guys always win. they don't. i gave you an example. at the end of days of future past, the timeline was going to be changed, we didn't know how it would end or how it would be changed. winning doesn't always equal what's best for the heroes

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    so X-men don't have fans? i think that You are wrong. You don't have any proof that MCU fans vote there. Even Your article showed that You are wrong and imdb works finr for majority of people

gotg has better:
    -story
    -characters
    -jokes
    -action
    -director
    -costumes
    -visuals
    -concept
    -flaw
    -fights

but 6 of these reasons are not true
    gotg done them better

i didn't twist anything... You twist this article
    and hobbit has 7,4 not 8,0 on imdb...

they are doing what they should do
    rt = is this movie good or not? yes or no?

You are attacking everyone personally from the beginning.
    that was your very first post in almost all threads
    example: uncanny avenegrs 23 prevew

and You give false information ... all the time... hobbit has 8,0? no this movie has 7,4.

Maybe there will be a day when Selina will read her posts and understand that she shouldn't start discussion with agression... but this is not this day

explain how it had a better story compared to DOFP. The DOFP story is ripped from the events of world war 2/civl war, intolerance and the holocaust mixed with complex time travel elements.

so how is gotg story better exactly?

do you once beleive that ronan can take over the universe the same way the sentinel took over the world in dofp? I doubt it.

explain how it had better characters? no character in gotg is as compelling as magneto, trask or raven or determined as Logan or humanised and broken down as xavier.

jokes does not make things better. jokes makes it worse. because it reduces what is suppose to be a real effect and hide the facts that the story is actually weak. funny that this is now the weakest part in the sequel. critics should not have waited till the sequel, they should have called it out right from the first film.

action?

DOFP for all the story telling had one little action scene in the film that became the most talked about action scene of 2014 and was enough to kill off mcu's own quick silver scene. that would be the quicksilver time in a bottle kitchen scene.. the most talked about action scene of 2014.

director?

sadly no. as Bryan Singer already had a better body of work than James Gunn. Singer already had X2, Valkyrie, X-Men 1 and the unsusal suspects under his belt. Gunn had the Scooby doo movies. lol

reason failed.

Custume

not really, since DOFP is set in a grounded and serious world. dont the army and police officer dress in one way. only black mostly.

this is not a reason. its a joke

Visual

See the quicksilver scene or even blink's portals.

-concept

flash gordon and star wars was first and it did it better.

we have also had many films like star wars long before gotg.

not many films have had a similar story arc to dofp outside of the terminator 2. many films have used the space adventure concept before. in fact GOTG is a rip off of star wars down to groot and chewy.

so another failed reason.

-fights

sadly no. as no fight in gotg comes close or is as heart breaking to watch when young magneto gives his freedom speech in the pass and the sentinels slaughter and kill the x-men in the future.

this is superior to any fight in GOTG.

WHY?

magneto's Dialogue, use of music score, tone, stakes, juxtaposition of the story arc.

gotg fights is ruined by star lord dancing and the characters making jokes and the fights not having any stakes or seriousness. the fights in gotg is about the cool factor. the fight in dofp is about clear and present danger making it better to watch than gotg

so all your reason are easily destroyed and debunked.

Thanks for proving why DOFP is a superior movie.

gotg has better:
    -story
    -characters
    -jokes
    -action
    -director
    -costumes
    -visuals
    -concept
    -flaw
    -fights
    You left out
    -better sound track
    -better adaption (I'd say that the Guardians adapted their story and characters much better than X-men did.)
    -Better romance
    -better small furry animal with really big guns
    -better world building
    and
    -better dance off

10. cuts through human emotions. (Watching a little see his mom died wasn't emotional? More than anything in DOFP for me).
    That was great. I also loved the "We are Groot," part.

jokes does not make things better. jokes makes it worse.
    I think this line right here tells everyone anything they need to know about you. And I will tell you you are wrong until you're dying day. I might even show up to your funeral and tell you you're wrong.

Jokes are good.

Jokes help establish characters personality and well play of the clash between characters. People joke. It makes them feel more human.

Jokes break tension. You need this one is a while to to stop movies from being insufferably oppression. Once it's broke, you can build it back up again. Now you're got your roller coaster.

Using jokes provides a stark contrast to the darker elements, making them seem even darker by comparison.

Be happy I say we live in a golden age when I was a kid outside of Superman films all we had was Incredible Hulk, Reruns of Adam West Batman, and The Greatest American Hero.
    Don't knock Adam West and Bill Bixby. They were great.
    Last edited by Alan2099; 05-07-2017 at 10:45 AM.