Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Guardians was a fun movie. Enjoyed it. But DoFP all the way for me. I'll watch that flick anytime it's on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Selina View Post
    explain how it had a better story compared to DOFP. The DOFP story is ripped from the events of world war 2/civl war, intolerance and the holocaust mixed with complex time travel elements.
    You should watch Ghost in the shell anime and Ghost in the shell movie
    movie used even some scenes from anime yet people generally will agree: anime is great and movie was weak
    dofp did really good job but gotg was better

so how is gotg story better exactly?
    because it doesn't really on plot holes

do you once beleive that ronan can take over the universe the same way the sentinel took over the world in dofp? I doubt it.
    sentinels also shouldn't be able to take over the world

explain how it had better characters? no character in gotg is as compelling as magneto, trask or raven or determined as Logan or humanised and broken down as xavier.
    dofp has great : Magneto, Logan, Xavier, Mystique and terrible rest
    gotg have only good or better characters
    jokes does not make things better. jokes makes it worse. because it reduces what is suppose to be a real effect and hide the facts that the story is actually weak. funny that this is now the weakest part in the sequel. critics should not have waited till the sequel, they should have called it out right from the first film.
    serious movie can't have Quicksilve who can solve all problems alone
    action?
    DOFP for all the story telling had one little action scene in the film that became the most talked about action scene of 2014 and was enough to kill off mcu's own quick silver scene. that would be the quicksilver time in a bottle kitchen scene.. the most talked about action scene of 2014.
    action in gotg is cool and it fits to the movie
    dofp has one cool actions scene and after these you should think: why we have this movie? he can do evrything

director?

sadly no. as Bryan Singer already had a better body of work than James Gunn. Singer already had X2, Valkyrie, X-Men 1 and the unsusal suspects under his belt. Gunn had the Scooby doo movies. lol
    yet he created gotg

not really, since DOFP is set in a grounded and serious world. dont the army and police officer dress in one way. only black mostly.
    maybe this would work if we wouldn't have blue mystique or quicksilver...

Visual
    See the quicksilver scene or even blink's portals.
    i saw. gotg is better

-concept
    flash gordon and star wars was first and it did it better.
    no...

we have also had many films like star wars long before gotg.
    dofp was made many times also. many were better than movie.

-fights

sadly no. as no fight in gotg comes close or is as heart breaking to watch when young magneto gives his freedom speech in the pass and the sentinels slaughter and kill the x-men in the future.

this is superior to any fight in GOTG.
    as long as watch these scenes without thinking? yes

Thanks for proving why GotG is a superior movie.
    I helped You.
    Sorry but If DoFP would be better then this movie would have better rating on imdb
    even Your article showed that this works very good.
    GotG is sligtly higher ... at best the movies are equally good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    your comment made it seem like the good guys always win. they don't. i gave you an example. at the end of days of future past, the timeline was going to be changed, we didn't know how it would end or how it would be changed. winning doesn't always equal what's best for the heroes
    You have one example out of how many?

Planes don't always land. It's still reasonable to expect I will arrive at my destination if I board one, though.

A superhero losing is the surprise, not the superhero winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Seemingly invites discussion...

"I'm going for the no-brainer"

Guhl stahp lyin'.
    In was gonna participate until I noticed who OP was.

Incredible Member

Planes don't always land. It's still reasonable to expect I will arrive at my destination if I board one, though.

Well but I guess it is good if the movie, at the very least, manages to create the tension of not knowing how its going to end even if its a superhero movie.

Most of it have such a generic scripting that you can basically predict what's going to happen in the next scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Don't knock Adam West and Bill Bixby. They were great.
    Oh I'm not I love both shows to this day and watched both last night. But that's all we had when I was a kid Superman in films and them I never even dreamed I'd see a Batman film till they announced the Burton/Keaton Batman and now seeing all these characters brought to life on the big screen and most of them done well it's a amazing time for comic fans and we should be enjoying it all not nitpicking which is better that's all

V for Vendetta. although not technically a super hero movie, the hero dies at the end, but again, your comment said "you didn't think the hero would win?" i gave you an example of why i don't always think the hero will win

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    The problem is we are comparing two different movies that only have one thing in common, they are both based on comic books. Besides that they are totally different.

Yes, Days of Future Past is more dramatic then Guardians of the Galaxy, while GotG is more silly and fun, but there is nothing wrong with silly and fun. Not every comic book movie has to be Logan or the Dark Knight, sometimes a silly fun adventure, is entertaining and making GoTG super serious would not have worked.

So frankly I like both movies for different reasons, I don't think one is better then the other because they are so different from each other and try to accomplish different things.

I do think Days of Future Past was better then Age of Ultron though, Age of Ultron was mediocre.
    Shut down the thread, this wins it.

I will give the caveat that I much prefer the more serious tone, which is why I was always drawn to X-Men comics over any other, and why I will always prefer the X-Men movies over MCU, and why I don't want Marvel getting their hands on the X-Men movie rights.

But there IS a place for MCU's style and formula, even if it is not my preferred, and there is nothing wrong with liking it even if I don't. I just don't want that to be how X-Men goes.

Good reply Overlord

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lollie_poppy View Post
    Well but I guess it is good if the movie, at the very least, manages to create the tension of not knowing how its going to end even if its a superhero movie.

Most of it have such a generic scripting that you can basically predict what's going to happen in the next scene.
    Oh, we rarely know exactly how a movie is going to end. But it's a pretty safe bet that any random superhero movie is going to wind up with a fairly favorable outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Oh I'm not I love both shows to this day and watched both last night. But that's all we had when I was a kid Superman in films and them I never even dreamed I'd see a Batman film till they announced the Burton/Keaton Batman and now seeing all these characters brought to life on the big screen and most of them done well it's a amazing time for comic fans and we should be enjoying it all not nitpicking which is better that's all
    That I can agree with.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    V for Vendetta. although not technically a super hero movie
    Stopping you right there, then.

It's still a comic book movie.

stop whatever you want, it was a comic property. i get it, you're salty. that's fine, but with days of future past, there was an uncertainty about who would survive and who wouldn't. there was none of that with guardians. and there won't be for the sequel either

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Like I said I love both but I also like a challenge GOTG has flaws but here are my reasons I think it's slightly better than DOFP by using your points.

1. Stronger script...make that superior script with grey areas. (The Guardians themselves were gray they were criminals who for most of the film was out for their own agendas not saving anyone. But you see they grew as characters like in a story it's like story telling ok time to get to the next one with that.).

2. Actual story telling (Exactly how is the story telling better? Both have plot holes like how could Kitty now time travel? WHY LEAVE QUICKSILVER BEHIND? That's a big one.).

3. style over substance...as the film relies heavily on the script than the CGI (Seriously both films relied heavily on CGI so I call this a tie and they both looked great.).

4. superior villains (Can you call Mystique and Magneto villains in that film? Mystique ended up being hailed a national hero see Apocalypse so the villains were the government who were no more developed than Ronan or Thanos at least Nebula was portrayed as having Daddy Issues.).

5. flawed undisneyfied heroes (Again the Guardians were killers and thieves pretty flawed unlike the heroic X-Men saving humanity.).

6. political and social themes (Guardians concentrated more on themes of family and being outsiders it's apples and oranges).

7. depth (This again is a tie for me DOFP starts with a dystopian future and GOTG with a little boy watching his mother die and being kidnapped both had about the same level of depth.).

8. actual stakes (The future of Earth vs the Future of multiple Worlds GOTG wins here to me.).

9. character driven arcs and compelling character dynamics (What arcs only Mystique and Xavier got arcs everyone else was in the same places as when the film started character wise unlike the Guardians who all changed from selfish killers and thieves to heroic unselfish killer and thieves.).

10. cuts through human emotions. (Watching a little boy see his mom died wasn't emotional? More than anything in DOFP for me Groot dying too.).

11. drama over comedy. (Both had drama but it's a rare breed who can mix both and add the needed levity during a taxing drama so GOTG wins it for me.).

Again both films were great and I just find these pissing contest between MCU and Fox fans dumb as long as both companies make good movies I'm happy. Be happy I say we live in a golden age when I was a kid outside of Superman films all we had was Incredible Hulk, Reruns of Adam West Batman, and The Greatest American Hero.

1. the guardians were criminals, because they told us. Did we see them doing any real criminal activities ...and I don't mean the loveable type of activities.

2. we can think outside the script or reason why kitty had those powers. because she was the time traveller in the original story arc. see my last post to what made dofp stronger in story.

3. boliver trask and the sentinels were the villains in the films. boliver trask philosophy made him a great villain because he made good points on why he had issue with mutants and was not exactly wrong. trask also adding he admired mutants also gave him depth. The sentinels were ruthless killing machine that you feared and cant approach with a dance. raven and magneto are grey characters.

5. its about see not tell. we are told gotg are this and that but we never truly see it. thanks Disney for dumbing things down. we see raven try to assassinate trask on multiple occasions, we see magneto threaten the president on live tv. we see xavier use and abuse drug like substance, we see wolverine take out humans, we see quicksilver actually stealing things, we see beast hiding his true self.

6. Themes of family value is disney 101 and a cliche disney theme...those are easy themes. let disney deal with the themes of drug and substance abuse , prejudice, the consequences of war or GENOCIDE...oh right it was banned from their movies see Iron Man 3.

Ironic Disney does the themes of family, DOFP deals with the themes of when a family falls apart and many of them are drafted, killed and experimented on. magneto confronts xavier on these themes on the plane. So which film has more depth?

7. a little boy who loosing his mother and spend his life making jokes all the time. xavier loosing his leg 10 year prior to the events of dofp and looses his adopted sister and we see the hopelessness, bitterness, sadness, anger and loneliness of those events and the down ward spiral of his life. So who has more depth? Xavier or Star Lord.

8. the future earth needed a dance offs? LOL.
    The film never gave the premise that the universe was in Danger because it was jokes all the way and the tone of GOTG was way too light hearted to make a believable case the universe was in danger. The film tone is about fun. You can’t have fun when the universe is at stake see Empire strikes back. The opening scene of DOFP does a superior job of what was actually at stake. From Moscow to china, where we see the sentinels guarding everywhere. Add that to the mutants and humans matched to concentration camps or the truck that dumps all HUNDREDS , if not THOUSANDS of dead bodies on the floor like trash. THOSE WERE THE STAKES. NAME A STAKE IN GOTG SIMILAR TO THAT?

9. Add character driven arcs to Logan and Magneto and Trask.

Logan : I have been in many wars, but nothing like this.

10. cuts through human emotions. (Watching a little see his mom died wasn't emotional? More than anything in DOFP for me).[/B]

really?

More emotional than magneto freedom speech in the past mirroring when all the x-men were slaughtered in the future

More emotional than Blink’s death...impaled by 3 sentinels. nah, doesn't add up.

More emotional than future magneto trying to seal of the door and sacrifice himself just to give xavier, kitty and logan more time as the sentinels were about to kill him.

More emotional than bobby’s death in the hands in the sentinels which left kitty , Logan, Xavier, magneto with no other defence.

more emotional than when old xavier looks at the students that attended xavier school that are all dead but still has hope.

GOTG does not come close to DOFP when it comes to emotional depth.

Thanks for proving why DOFP is the better movie. as you can see, Your plot points were weak and has been easily debunked by stronger factual points from me.

DOFP is indeed the superior movie.
    Last edited by Selina; 05-07-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I loved them both equally. I really did. And it's hard to compare the two. One was more deadly serious than the other and the other one had lol moments and jokes all the time.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor