Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    As for gray characters all the mutants in DOFP were shown to be doing wrong for a greater cause so they weren't gray they were righteous and again the humans had no more depth that Ronan or Thanos.

Trask, Logan, and Magneto never changed hence no arc.

The deaths in X-Men meant nothing because one most weren't even given anything but glorified cameos to care about and also they were all alive at the end even the imagery with Magneto's speech means nothing if it's not lasting. Say what you will but Peter's mom stayed dead and resonated.

Kitty was sent back in time by a telepath her powers didn't involve time travel so no that doesn't answer that question.

GOTG Cleary showed the power of the Infinity stone and the Danger of it being controlled by Ronan or Thanos which threatened the Galaxy and they stated that in the film.

this one statement alone by trask shows his depth as person not even as a villian

Trask : How old is your
    son now, Major?

Stryker : Jason? He's coming up on ten now,
    if you can believe it.

Trask: Eight years from fighting age. And how many of our sons and brothers did we just ship
    home in body bags? Maybe fifty, fifty-five thousand? And how many more
    on the other side? Never before... in all of human history...has there been a cause which could unite us as a species.
    Until now.

Stryker: You really hate, mutants, don't you?

Trask: On the contrary, I rather admire them. The things they can do. I see mutants as our salvation.
    A common enemy.A common struggle

that alone is a villian with depth. trask gave smart and intelligence ..good reasons on the problem with mutants. reasons that have a lot of truth to it and reason you can agree with form a human perspective. trask is not a typical bad guy, it can even be argued he is a good guy.

the deaths in dofp showed the stakes and what would have become permanent had logan failed in his mission. so it mattered...big time.

peter's mum may have stayed dead but the impact of the death is lessened as the film progressed. DOFP also ends with a great question mark of the outcome of the older characters who you think are all alive and well???... the film ends with this quote...''For the future is never truly set''.... making the film even more compelling and thought provoking right at the end because we had just seen the future characters alive and now the film is now saying nothing is set.

GOTG got more stupid and more cheesy at the end. ''WE ARE THE GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY''... ''WE ARE GROOT''?

ME= CRINGE.

That is Saturday morning cartoon writing style for kids.

the infinity stone. ah yes, more unnecessary ultron set ups since mcu cant tell self contained movie. we did not see the infinity stone harming any one.

seriously the more we talk, the more you prove gotg is an inferior movie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Selina View Post
    are you for real...LMAO.

actually it is easier to show a character easily brush off their dark past and not deal with it. you want to know why?

PRETENCE and the DUMBING DOWN OF STORY TELLING.

please don't ever say what you just said in front of JK Rowling, Stephen King or George RR Martin or even Chris Claremont.

did you ever wonder why x-men comics were called soap opera at itmes?

It is easier to pretend everything is fine and cool than face the harsh reality of certain situations. disney can not let star lord face that so he jokes about. same as they did with tony stark in iron man 2 and 3. life is not about jokes or enjoyment all the time

the guardians are one dimensional. that is why they have no story telling in their movies and everything is about fun and jokes. let them step into the world of x-men. they will grow up fast.

what do we call xavier and magneto fondess towards each other? that carries more weight because we know how different their philosophy are and how much they have hurt each other. that is a fondness that has weight and depth to it.

ego was a terrible villain, magneto is great villain. big difference.
    I think you have an inability to except different people like different things, not everyone likes the same kind of story. People have different tastes you know.

Both DoFP and GoTG are good films, but for different reasons. Would you want GoTG to be a copy of X-Men with no identity of its own? That wouldn't work.

There have been many films that have blended comedy with drama like Ghostbusters, Robocop, etc and they are great. Not every film has to be super serious to be great.

To me its a good thing we have both well done serious and comedic comic book movies.

You can have great serious comic book movies: Dark Knight, DoFP, Logan and bad serious films like Batman v Superman. You have great silly and fun films like GoTG and bad ones like Batman and Robin.

Also look at Fan4stic, that tried to be dark and serious and that film sucked, it didn't understand what made the FF great in the first place. The FF are not dark and serious.

Spice is the variety of life.

Hitting rock bottom is deep quality storytelling, but hitting rock bottom and hiding it or bouncing back from it is somehow childish. Got it.

Misery and death is quality storytelling, but as soon as you add a joke it's lame and pathetic.

Good to know.

It is easier to pretend everything is fine and cool than face the harsh reality of certain situations.
    It's actually much harder.

life is not about jokes or enjoyment all the time
    According to you, having a sense of humor is apparently never okay, but while it's not always about jokes, it's not always abut navel gazing either. You have yet to explain why telling jokes is bad another than the fact that you find it childish.

Well, guess what. You're watching movies about superheroes. People with fancy powers fighting for what's right, flying though the air, and calling each other funny nicknames. You are watching childish movies. Saying "yeah, but I'm not as childish as that" just makes you look petty.

let them step into the world of x-men. they will grow up fast.
    Rocket has accepted the fact that he was experimented on against his will, turned into some kind of freak, and probably won't live for long.

Starlord watched his mother die, was abducted by criminal aliens that repeatedly threatened to eat him as he grew up.

Gamora was captured as a child,raises as an assassin, tortured, and grew up surrounded by enemies and having to treat her real families killer as her father.

Drax likewise watched his family slaughtered.

You put them in the X-men universe, they're just going to wonder why everyone is so depressed all the time when they've got it so easy.

if you want to say that Xavier and Magneto are such deep characters because bad things happened to them, well meet a team where EVERYONE is Magneto and Xavier.

ME= CRINGE.
    Really? Me = Cringe? You are officially never allowed to call anyone else childish again.

this one statement alone by trask shows his depth as person not even as a villian

Trask : How old is your
    son now, Major?

Stryker : Jason? He's coming up on ten now,
    if you can believe it.

Trask: Eight years from fighting age. And how many of our sons and brothers did we just ship
    home in body bags? Maybe fifty, fifty-five thousand? And how many more
    on the other side? Never before... in all of human history...has there been a cause which could unite us as a species.
    Until now.

Stryker: You really hate, mutants, don't you?

Trask: On the contrary, I rather admire them. The things they can do. I see mutants as our salvation.
    A common enemy.A common struggle

that alone is a villian with depth. trask gave smart and intelligence ..good reasons on the problem with mutants. reasons that have a lot of truth to it and reason you can agree with form a human respective. trask is not a typical bad guy, it can even be argued he is a good guy.

the deaths in dofp showed the stakes and what would have become permanent had logan failed in his mission.

peter's mum may have stayed dead but the impact of the death is lessened as the film progressed. DOFP also end with a great question mark of the outcome of the older characters who you think are all alive and well???... the film ends with this quote...''For the future is never truly set''.... making the film even more compelling and thought provoking right at the end because we had just seen the future characters alive and now the film is now saying nothing is set.

GOTG got more stupid and more cheesy at the end. ''WE ARE THE GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY''... ''WE ARE GROOT''?

ME= CRINGE.

That is Saturday morning cartoon writing style for kids.

the infinity stone. ah yes, more unnecessary set ups since mcu cant tell self contained movie. we did not see the infifnty stone harming any one.

seriously the more we talk, the more you prove gotg is an inferior movie
    A racist perceives real or imaginary advantages of another race and the threat to their livelihood that's not depth that's racism 101.

Batman the Animated Series was on Saturday Mornings so was X-Men the Animated Series which quite frankly had more depth than all the Marvel based films given they had time to develop characters and had drama and humor and were amazing don't trash Saturday Mornings they rocked...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    You left out
    -better sound track
    -better adaption (I'd say that the Guardians adapted their story and characters much better than X-men did.)
    -Better romance
    -better small furry animal with really big guns
    -better world building
    and
    -better dance off

That was great. I also loved the "We are Groot," part.

I think this line right here tells everyone anything they need to know about you. And I will tell you you are wrong until you're dying day. I might even show up to your funeral and tell you you're wrong.

Jokes are good.

Jokes help establish characters personality and well play of the clash between characters. People joke. It makes them feel more human.

Jokes break tension. You need this one is a while to to stop movies from being insufferably oppression. Once it's broke, you can build it back up again. Now you're got your roller coaster.

Using jokes provides a stark contrast to the darker elements, making them seem even darker by comparison.

Don't knock Adam West and Bill Bixby. They were great.
    suicide squad had a good soundtrack.

better romance? with who. kevin bacon jokes is now romance?

jokes with the world at stake?

were jews and gypsys making jokes as they were matched into concentration camps.

were slaves making jokes as they were whipped and fed to dogs

how much do war veterans make jokes about their PTSD.

Simon Pegg was right. MCU truly dumbs down cinema.

http://www.thewrap.com/simon-pegg-sa...g-down-cinema/

Astonishing Member

Hitting rock bottom is deep quality storytelling, but hitting rock bottom and hiding it or bouncing back from it is somehow childish. Got it.

Misery and death is quality storytelling, but as soon as you add a joke it's lame and pathetic.

Good to know.

According to you, having a sense of humor is apparently never okay, but while it's not always about jokes, it's not always abut navel gazing either. You have yet to explain why telling jokes is bad another than the fact that you find it childish.

Well, guess what. You're watching movies about superheroes. People with fancy powers fighting for what's right, flying though the air, and calling each other funny nicknames. You are watching childish movies. Saying "yeah, but I'm not as childish as that" just makes you look petty.

Rocket has accepted the fact that he was experimented on against his will, turned into some kind of freak, and probably won't live for long.

Starlord watched his mother die, was abducted by criminal aliens that repeatedly threatened to eat him as he grew up.

Gamora was captured as a child,raises as an assassin, tortured, and grew up surrounded by enemies and having to treat her real families killer as her father.

You put them in the X-men universe, they're just going to wonder why everyone is so depressed all the time when they've got it so easy.

if you want to say that Xavier and Magneto are such deep characters because bad things happened to them, well meet a team where EVERYONE is Magneto and Xavier.
    The thing is different people deal with pain differently.

I have no problem with the way Xavier was portrayed in that film, he was at his lowest end and his talk with future Xavier was actually really touching, it gave him a character arc, it explained how young Xavier became the old and wise leader in the future. Logan did the same thing, where Logan gave up on being a hero and let his sadness consume him, only to become a hero again one last time.

But on the other hand, there is nothing wrong with how the Guardians dealt with their pain, through jokes and friendship.

Both of these are valid ways to write a character, the idea is sadness and dread are things to overcome, maybe it took young Xavier and old Logan longer to do it then the Guardians, but in the end its just different ways to get to the same conclusion.

The Guardians, Xavier, Logan are all well realized characters, but they just handle pain in a different manner.

BANNED

Good to know.

Really? Me = Cringe? You are officially never allowed to call anyone else childish again.

and everything you mentioned is never brought to the centre of the film., it is dismissed for jokes and explosions. this is the major difference between gotg and x-men or the nolan movies. in xmen the character dark issues are not dumb down or brushed aside they are the heart of the movie itself.

maybe everything you said will have strick a chord if GOTG had the tone of DOFP, Batman Begins or TDK.

when people came out of gotg..the feedback is that...they had fun. fun fun fun. fun is the easier and safest thing and movie to do.

when people came out dofp..the feed back was...I was at the edge of my sit, that mystique has mental issues, xavier is still too naive he should have shut her down, magneto will never change, the film was heavy and those mutants were sure lucky, they made it by the skin of their teeth wow...

so yeah, I wonder which feedback is more impressive. hmm.

I am so tempted to cuss you right out on this one.

I grew up surrounded by War Veterans. Many of them disabled. My own dad lost his leg in Vietnam.

He is able to joke about it. Many of the veterans are. That doesn't mean there aren't deeper problems they keep hidden. Being the only person in your platoon that makes it back alive, and only then after months spent under the deep haze of painkillers doesn't mean you are never able to enjoy life again. Nor does enjoying life again mean there aren't things that you still regret, fear, or hate.

Shut your mouth when it comes to things you have no knowledge of and don't try to use other people's suffering to prove your points about some lame movie adaption and how there is no need for humor or laughter in the world.

People hurt. Sometimes people laugh about hurt. Sometimes they don't. Most people are able to do both.

If you can't see that, then the only childish person in this discussion is you.

suicide squad had a good soundtrack.

better romance? with who. kevin bacon jokes is now romance?

jokes with the world at stake?

were jews and gypsys making jokes as they were matched into concentration camps.

were slaves making jokes as they were whipped and fed to dogs

Simon Pegg was right. MCU truly dumbs down cinema.

http://www.thewrap.com/simon-pegg-sa...g-down-cinema/
    You thought that non stop soundtrack of the obvious was good? Wow now I'm cringing.

Pegg didn't say MCU he said Comic book films and stated it started with Star Wars a Franchise he does love and appears in and he has some points that the 70's was known for their realism which was lost after Star Wars for spectacle films and blockbuster which comics continue to this day. Also it is odd to see Simon say that given I love his Star Trek films but they have dumber down the franchise and he even wrote one.

Astonishing Member

and everything you mentioned is never brought to the centre of the film., it is dismissed for jokes and explosions. this is the major difference between gotg and x-men or the nolan movies. in xmen the character dark issues are not dumb down or brushed aside they are the heart of the movie itself.

maybe everything you said will have strick a chord if GOTG had the tone of DOFP, Batman Begins or TDK.

when people came out of gotg..the feedback is that...they had fun. fun fun fun. fun is the easier and safest thing and movie to do.

when people came out dofp..the feed back was...I was at the edge of my sit, that mystique has mental issues, xavier is still too naive he should have shut her down, magneto will never change, the film was heavy and those mutants were sure lucky, they made it by the skin of their teeth wow...

so yeah, I wonder which feedback is more impressive. hmm.
    If you think all dark comic book movies are good, watch Batman v Superman and Fan4stic and tell me how great those films are.

If you think making fun quality comic book movies are easy, then tell me why is Batman and Robin so bad?

Heck Suicide Squad was DC's attempt to copy GoTG and that film sucked, making a good fun film is not easy.

Making good films requires talent peroid, both Singer and Gunn are talented, but they have styles and were making different movies.

Making a movie dark or silly doesn't instantly make it good or bad, different stories require diffetent tones and tactics.

The world is big enough for serious and silly films.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 05-07-2017 at 12:33 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    A racist perceives real or imaginary advantages of another race and the threat to their livelihood that's not depth that's racism 101.

Batman the Animated Series was on Saturday Mornings so was X-Men the Animated Series which quite frankly had more depth than all the Marvel based films given they had time to develop characters and had drama and humor and were amazing don't trash Saturday Mornings they rocked...

trask was not wrong at all in his presumption of many mutants. a mutant like raven can indeed disguise herself as the president and order a nuclear strike if she was in the mood. those are facts.

ironically, raven did something similar in X2 when she spent her time posing as senator kelly.

trask was also predicting what shaw wanted to do in first class. truth is found in depth and most of the things trask said about mutnts were true.

all the racism and anti Semitism in the world are based on complete hate, lies, and ignorance.

this is the problem with you mcu fans. you own villains suck so you try and pretend other villains are as bad. not..

sorry but x-men does not have a villain's problem. that is an mcu thing.

trask is more like raz al ghaul from batman begins. most of their philosophies had deep truth to it.

trask was not wrong at all in his presumption of many mutants. a mutant like raven can indeed disguise herself as the president and order a nuclear strike if she was in the mood. those are facts.

ironically, raven did something similar in X2 when she spent her time posing as senator kelly.

trask was also predicting what shaw wanted to do in first class. truth is found in depth and most of the things trask said about mutnts were true.

all the racism and anti Semitism in the world are based on complete hate, lies, and ignorance.

this is the problem with you mcu fans. you own villains suck so you try and pretend other villains are as bad. not..

trask is more like raz al ghaul from batman begins. most of their philosophies had deep truth to it.
    No Trask is just a racist it's why his family has been interchangeable for the last 50 plus years. If he wasn't racist he'd want to target only mutants who are threats and not all he wouldn't killed innocent mutants in his mad quest. Ra's was slightly complex in his quest for justice and balance and his willingness to kill the innocent so he edges out Trask.

So, like Ronan then.

Horror is the safest. Action is the second. You'll find plenty of fans for admittedly horrible horror and action movies. Horror fans will eat up anything, no matter how fake the blood or how lame the monster.

Action movies? people have made their careers on "looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger movie, but not as good," and guys in pajamas jumping out claiming to be ninjas.

Try to fan people that enjoy bad comedy and you'll have to work a lot harder.

Ra's was garbage too. (And Capitalize Your Names) he wanted to destroy Gotham because it was corrupt, but later admitted that he spent years making Gotham corrupt.

His motivation boils down to "I just dug a hole. Now I'm going to fill it."
    Last edited by Alan2099; 05-07-2017 at 12:45 PM.

BANNED

well we are not really doing that. we are asking what is the best comic film of 2014.
    That'd be The Snowpiercer...
    But then you're not interested in any kind of real discussion.

Seriously... What is the point of this? And why hold this discussion on the X-boards instead of the more neutral movie board?

Astonishing Member

You know if you like dark stories, most the Netflix Marvel series are great (except for Iron Fist) and they have darker stories and some of the best villains in the MCU.

So the MCU can have light hearted snd dark stories, there is something for everyone.

I would argue the later Captain America films were very serious and told important stories that dealt with modern political issues.

So not every MCU property is silly just like not every X-Men film is super serious, look at Deadpool.

So, like Ronan then.

Horror is the safest. Action is the second. You'll find plenty of fans for admittedly horrible horror and action movies. Horror fans will eat up anything, no matter how fake the blood or how lame the monster.

Action movies? people have made their careers on "looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger movie, but not as good," and guys in pajamas jumping out claiming to be ninjas.

Try to fan people that enjoy bad comedy and you'll have to work a lot harder.

Ra's was garbage too. (And Capitalize Your Names) he wanted to destroy Gotham because it was corrupt, but later admitted that he spent years making Gotham corrupt.

His motivation boils down to "I just dug a hole. Now I'm going to fill it."
    I thought Gotham was corrupt before Ra's, Ra's just made things worse and then was going to destroy Gotham as warning to the rest of the world. That doesn't make sense, but Ra's was a fanatic and fanatics are not always logical.

Also doing a good horror movie requires talent, doing any sort bad movie is easy and people liked bad Adam Sandler films for a long time.

I think both DOFP and GoTG are good gilms, because they both had talent behind them.

I don't know why Selina is bashing GoTG when there are a ton of really bad comic book films that truly deserve the hate they get.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 05-07-2017 at 12:57 PM.