Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question About the new 52 Superman Wonder Woman series

Quick question.

Did the Rebirth series nullify the new 52 Superman/Wonder Woman series as canon?

Has it been thrown out as never happening?

Deciding if I want to read and possibly collect it.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

BANNED

From what I understand, yes it's completely out.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Yep..seems like some new 52 stories are in continuity, but anything relating to that relationship hasn't been mentioned.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's more than likely out, but nothing is set in stone. For what it's worth, the issues by Soule and Daniel were neat.

Thanks for answering guys.

So, besides this series, for sure, what other new 52 series has been completely dumped, ignored, and no longer canon?
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Even though I hate the series and the relationship, I need to say that it shouldn't matter if the series is canon or not in order to read and collect them. If you enjoy the characters and the stories in general, you should have it and if you want, you can consider then a real deal, nobody stops you in doing so. Just because DC Rebirth is happening doesn't mean like I should throw away All-Star Superman, Superman Last Son of Krypton, Superman Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?, etc. even though all these stories might not matter today for canon, but they were written, they were printed, they are there and these stories still mean something on a personal level. Canon or not should not devide you from the enjoyment about something.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    Even though I hate the series and the relationship, I need to say that it shouldn't matter if the series is canon or not in order to read and collect them. If you enjoy the characters and the stories in general, you should have it and if you want, you can consider then a real deal, nobody stops you in doing so. Just because DC Rebirth is happening doesn't mean like I should throw away All-Star Superman, Superman Last Son of Krypton, Superman Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?, etc. even though all these stories might not matter today for canon, but they were written, they were printed, they are there and these stories still mean something on a personal level. Canon or not should not devide you from the enjoyment about something.
    You have very good points and I think I'll give it a chance. I was given the first TPB of the series by a friend but haven't made time to check it out as I'm big into reading Omni's the past year. Chiefly Superman and Batman GA Omni's.
    Hope to have them all one day!

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl70 View Post
    Thanks for answering guys.

So, besides this series, for sure, what other new 52 series has been completely dumped, ignored, and no longer canon?
    Honestly, besides this, mot of the new 52 in general(not just counting Superman) is still in continuity unless stated otherwise.

Spectacular Member BeefBourguignon's Avatar

Although no longer canon for current Superman, the lives of New 52 and pre-Flashpoint still occurred, in another life so to speak. Same as well for Convergence and Lois & Clark events. If they had not, we wouldnt have had a need for Reborn. So you can still enjoy those stories as something that still happen in a multiverse sense. In fact, you can't really appreciate Reborn unless you take into account that Superman lived two timelines, even if they no longer "matter." They had to have happened in order for there to be a merge in the first place. I think that is the beauty of this solution, as opposed to "x timeline was all illusion or pocket universe, x version of Superman was not real," which I once thought would be the only viable course.
    Great repositories for everything regarding Post-Crisis Superman
    http://www.fortressofbaileytude.com/
    http://superman86to99.tumblr.com/

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeefBourguignon View Post
    Although no longer canon for current Superman, the lives of New 52 and pre-Flashpoint still occurred, in another life so to speak. Same as well for Convergence and Lois & Clark events. If they had not, we wouldnt have had a need for Reborn. So you can still enjoy those stories as something that still happen in a multiverse sense. In fact, you can't really appreciate Reborn unless you take into account that Superman lived two timelines, even if they no longer "matter." They had to have happened in order for there to be a merge in the first place. I think that is the beauty of this solution, as opposed to "x timeline was all illusion or pocket universe, x version of Superman was not real," which I once thought would be the only viable course.
    This. It all happened and mattered and led to this current run, so it's still in continuity even if it isn't canon to the current version.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Spectacular Member

The New52 Wonder Woman was written By Azzarello.

Azzarello.

The guy responsible for writing For Tomorrow (The worst Superman story EVER) and, for heaven's sake, for completely screwing up The killing Joke.

Is anybody out there who's really missing a Brian Azzarello's story? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Honestly, besides this, mot of the new 52 in general(not just counting Superman) is still in continuity unless stated otherwise.
    Supergirl Rebirth is a continuation of Supergirl New 52, for example. They are just taking the character in a different direction.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AntoKent17 View Post
    The New52 Wonder Woman was written By Azzarello.

Azzarello.

The guy responsible for writing For Tomorrow (The worst Superman story EVER) and, for heaven's sake, for completely screwing up The killing Joke.

Is anybody out there who's really missing a Brian Azzarello's story? Really?
    The OP is referring to the Superman/Wonder Woman book, not the New 52 Wonder Woman book.

Superman/Wonder Woman was written by Charles Soule, then Peter Tomasi.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Supergirl Rebirth is a continuation of Supergirl New 52, for example. They are just taking the character in a different direction.
    Is it? Wow, I can't tell. Hard to believe the confused, angry (Red Lantern!) Supergirl of The New 52 could develop smoothly into this new version. I expect a retcon or two, or some New 52 stories never mentioned again and treated like they didn't happen (which amounts to much the same thing).
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl70 View Post
    Quick question.

Did the Rebirth series nullify the new 52 Superman/Wonder Woman series as canon?

Has it been thrown out as never happening?

Deciding if I want to read and possibly collect it.
    Answer: We don't know. Nobody seems to know how much of what occurred in The New 52 will be carried over into the post-Rebirth DCU. Frankly, I suspect that even well after Rebirth, there will be major questions of this sort that readers will never see the answers to.

As others have mentioned, you can always read and collect them as if they were an Elseworlds or other non-canonical story, if you like them in their own right.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/