Default Spoiler for guardians and caveat/question to those who have seen the movie

Greetings,

spoilers

spoilers

that should do it? If you see this and *didn't want to* you have only yourself to blame.

Does the appearance of the Watchers in GOG2, possibly hint that Marvel did get the rights back to Fantastic Four?

I think it probably was part of some separate deal Marvel and Fox made to trade characters, especially considering they've gone on record saying Fox gave them Ego while Marvel gave them Negasonic Teenage Warhead, so I'd say it's more likely they made another similar trade for the Watchers.
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Sonic The Hedgehog, Absolute Carnage, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, Gwenpool Strikes Back, Runaways, The White Trees

Astonishing Member

Marvel kept the rights to a lot of characters introduced in Fantastic Four, like the Inhumans and Black Panther, so probably the Watcher was another character they kept separate. We don't know what the deal was, but likely the contract specified which characters were included as part of the FF license and which were not.

James Gunn has said that Fox got the rights to Annihilus and, weirdly, Kang, even though he's the #2 or #1 Avengers villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I think it probably was part of some separate deal Marvel and Fox made to trade characters, especially considering they've gone on record saying Fox gave them Ego while Marvel gave them Negasonic Teenage Warhead, so I'd say it's more likely they made another similar trade for the Watchers.
    I've heard this a few times, from a few different sources, but I'm baffled by it. How would Marvel own the rights to Negasonic when she's a mutant who only appeared in X-men comics. More importantly why would fox trade the rights to a character only to make her look/act nothing like how the character was originally (Negasonic now looks like the movie admittedly)?
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Marvel kept the rights to a lot of characters introduced in Fantastic Four, like the Inhumans and Black Panther, so probably the Watcher was another character they kept separate. We don't know what the deal was, but likely the contract specified which characters were included as part of the FF license and which were not.

James Gunn has said that Fox got the rights to Annihilus and, weirdly, Kang, even though he's the #2 or #1 Avengers villain.
    I once heard that Kang, being introduced in the FF waaaay back, was kept for FF and of course the idea that Kang is Reed's descendent might have played into that.

So, in some cases, possibly, *where* they were introduced informs where they go into the movies? Perhaps.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Greetings,

spoilers

spoilers

that should do it? If you see this and *didn't want to* you have only yourself to blame.

Does the appearance of the Watchers in GOG2, possibly hint that Marvel did get the rights back to Fantastic Four?
    Thats exactly what I was thinking in the theater. The Watcher, Ego, the method ego was destroyed...all of these technically belong to Constantin. I never believed Marvel traded the television rights to the X-Men for producer credits or that they traded Ego for Fox to have the right to change Negasonic Teenage Warheads power in Deadpool. I prayed that the rights would go back to Marvel from Fox but then I remembered that Fox doesn't own the rights, Contantin does, but it might be just as good if Fox agrees to not make any more movies for Constantin so they can keep the rights, and Constantin decides to work with Marvel Studios instead of Fox. Marvel's relationship with Universal and Sony are showing the other movie companies that working together is better for everyone. Fox won't realize this until they've milked the X-Men for everything they've got. GOTGv2 was great and I want to see it again, but now I want to watch it to see if I can find anymore FF properties in it.
    I am freakin thrilled because the evidence is mounting that Marvel has access to FF/Silver Surfer/Galactus. I am going to be watching Thor Ragnarok even closer now looking for FF material. It would be so sweet if while Thor and Hulk are fighting the Silver Surfer shows up and wrecks the control disks like he did in the comics. And even sweeter still if SS could have some part in the Infinity War.
    Last edited by AgSurfer; 05-08-2017 at 01:33 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    I've heard this a few times, from a few different sources, but I'm baffled by it. How would Marvel own the rights to Negasonic when she's a mutant who only appeared in X-men comics. More importantly why would fox trade the rights to a character only to make her look/act nothing like how the character was originally (Negasonic now looks like the movie admittedly)?
    I think its more that Fox owns all mutants as they appeared in the comic books. If Fox started creating new mutants then that would be overstepping their rights to the property. Changing Negasonics powers would in effect be creating a new mutant that did not exist when Fox got the rights. However considering the rumor of the history Fox has with Marvel when being asked to loan them Silver Surfer/Galactus I find it hard to believe that Fox would trade Ego for a mutant power change. There are plenty of other existing mutants they could have used. Jubilee would have fit, or Cannonball, or almost any other. But its still the X-Men tv rights that make me most suspicious. That is potentially some serious moolah and Marvel could have totally undercut Fox's movies efforts. In the time it takes to make two movies Marvel could have made a half or dozen or so X-Men television series. And while the movies eventually grow thin when you only have one franchise, TV series are habit forming.
    Nope, until I see it in writing I will always believe Marvel got the FF back in someway for the X-Men TV rights.

I don't know what the 'Constantin' thing is you're referring to. But I too still believe that some deal has happened. And let's face it, if you like Stan Lee, wouldn't you want to make him very happy by delivering a real and true Fantastic Four, especially tied into the MCU. I hope it is can be.

Feige has said they can use certain races, like the Watchers and the Skrulls, but not specific characters like the Super-Skrull or Uatu.

ISTR there's a five-year thing with the F4 rights, Fox has to keep making F4 movies every so many years or lose the rights at any rate. Because the rights were close to lapsing when they announced Trank was doing Shit-tastic 4 in 2012 and 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer came out in 2007. The Daredevil rights similarly lapsed around then after Fox hadn't done anything since Elektra in 2004. The way I've seen it told is that they need a movie to be in pre-production or in production when the rights would lapse to keep them.

If all of that is right, we need to wait another 3 years until 2020 for Marvel to get the rights back.
    I surrender to the Contest