Incredible Member

Default Incursions relevance following Secret Wars

Hey, general question that I hope some of you can chime in on -

Did all of the incursions still happen, and what was the end result if they didn't culminate in "Secret Wars"?

A lot of Marvel books that begun since "Secret Wars" ended have referenced the incursions that took place in Jonathan Hickman's Avengers run and the lead up to Secret Wars. Well, as we know, Secret Wars ended with time essentially being reversed to before the incursions took place. We see Black Panther back in the same spot he was in at the very start of Hickman's Avengers run.

Given that so many books since have referenced the incursions, we are definitely led to believe they happened. Is the idea that all the incursions happened except for the very last one that initiated "Secret Wars". Obviously this is very hard to follow and doesn't make a lot of sense. Can anyone help clear this up?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    Hey, general question that I hope some of you can chime in on -

Did all of the incursions still happen, and what was the end result if they didn't culminate in "Secret Wars"?

A lot of Marvel books that begun since "Secret Wars" ended have referenced the incursions that took place in Jonathan Hickman's Avengers run and the lead up to Secret Wars. Well, as we know, Secret Wars ended with time essentially being reversed to before the incursions took place. We see Black Panther back in the same spot he was in at the very start of Hickman's Avengers run.

Given that so many books since have referenced the incursions, we are definitely led to believe they happened. Is the idea that all the incursions happened except for the very last one that initiated "Secret Wars". Obviously this is very hard to follow and doesn't make a lot of sense. Can anyone help clear this up?

Thanks
    At the beginning of Secret Wars, every single universe was destroyed in the incursions, but Doom used his power to hold onto to remnants of these universe to create Battleworld. At the end of Secret Wars, the Molecule Man used his powers to create the 'Prime Universe ' (the main universe with the successful characters from the ultimate universe) and it was the only one. However Reed Richards, Franklin and the Molecule Man soon began creating new universes. So to answer your question, yes, all the universes were destroyed in the incursions, however, they are all being recreated (so nothing has really changed). Hope this helps!
    I’ve just published my very first work on ‘Archive of Our Own’, under the same name as here. It is the first chapter of ‘I Am My Own Best Friend ~ An Emma Frost Road Trip’, which focuses on Emma between the events of IvX and Secret Empire, including the White Queen going on a road trip, to try and have fun!

You can read the story here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15795663

I hope you enjoy it as much I did writing it!

Mighty Member

Exactly what happened (or still counts) has been discussed at great (and circular) length over the last year or so.

At the end of "Secret Wars" #9, Hickman clearly implies that things happened much differently after Reed et al put space and time back together.

Some series, such as "Stand Off" or "Secret Empire" have made passing reference to the incursions. Other series, such as "Jessica Jones" or "Iron Man" have implied that few people remember, or should even know. Make of the contradiction what you will. (For the purposes of this conversation, ignore stuff like "Ms. Marvel", "Squadron Supreme" or "Web Warrior". Those series are too derpy, or just editorial cluster-f_cks, and are best ignored.)

The easiest thing to do is to accept what Hickman wrote, and assume that the incursions did not happen (at least not as presented in Hickman's run on "the Avenbers" and "New Avengers"). If the contradictions are still too much, assume mischief from the Molecule Man or the fluid history implied by Ewing in "the Ultimates". I doubt that Marvel is going to address this in any significant way, so simple is probably best.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    Exactly what happened (or still counts) has been discussed at great (and circular) length over the last year or so.

At the end of "Secret Wars" #9, Hickman clearly implies that things happened much differently after Reed et al put space and time back together.

Some series, such as "Stand Off" or "Secret Empire" have made passing reference to the incursions. Other series, such as "Jessica Jones" or "Iron Man" have implied that few people remember, or should even know. Make of the contradiction what you will. (For the purposes of this conversation, ignore stuff like "Ms. Marvel", "Squadron Supreme" or "Web Warrior". Those series are too derpy, or just editorial cluster-f_cks, and are best ignored.)

The easiest thing to do is to accept what Hickman wrote, and assume that the incursions did not happen (at least not as presented in Hickman's run on "the Avenbers" and "New Avengers"). If the contradictions are still too much, assume mischief from the Molecule Man or the fluid history implied by Ewing in "the Ultimates". I doubt that Marvel is going to address this in any significant way, so simple is probably best.
    That makes a lot of Secret Wars irrelevant thinking that way. I've heard this argument before, that the 616 was just restarted as before as though nothing happened, but, I wonder what the moral of the story then becomes? That no matter how much you betray yourself or your friends, nothing is important because a reset fixes everything? All the bad decisions you make are forgotten and you can go on with life as good friends again?

I do wonder why Happy Hogan is not back again, since the reset though. You'd think all the dead characters would just resume their old roles again. But then the Fantastic Four are missing too. There seems to be a flaw in the reasoning that the Incursions never happened, otherwise, if we have Miles mother back alive, why can't we have all the other dead characters back too?

Also, maybe this should be here :

http://community.comicbookresources....et-Wars-(2015)
    Last edited by jackolover; 05-09-2017 at 05:31 AM.

Mighty Member

I replied in the other thread.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/