Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Sabrina, #1

NEW ONGOING SERIES! Terror is born anew in this dark reimagining of Sabrina the Teenage Witch's origin. On the eve of her sixteenth birthday, the young sorceress finds herself at a crossroads, having to choose between an unearthly destiny and her mortal boyfriend, Harvey. But a foe from her family's past has arrived in Greendale, Madame Satan, and she has her own deadly agenda. Archie Comic's latest horror sensation starts here! For TEEN+ readers.

Full article here.

God, those last few preview pages...it's like looking at a car accident, sickened but can't look away.

kenrwill

I agree. I think they went very over the top on this. I mean I'm glad Archie is growing up a bit. and I was interested in a darker take on Sabrina. But I think they just took it a little bit far and this is just the first few pages. I'll give it a shot, but I thin this darker take will get old fast.

BANNED

Why would Archie Comics have to "grow up a bit" they are for kids after all. Can't kids have comics anymore? To me this comes across as a MAD Magazine style satire. I have nothing against horror comics, but why not just make something new?

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I kinda liked it. There is nothing wrong with a different universe where the Sabrina world is darker. I may end up checking this out now.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Why would Archie Comics have to "grow up a bit" they are for kids after all. Can't kids have comics anymore? To me this comes across as a MAD Magazine style satire. I have nothing against horror comics, but why not just make something new?
    It's not like they still don't produce old school Archie Comics. These have nothing to do with the for all ages, fun and safe, Archie comics. And for them this is something new and it's making money. The girl at my comic shop said the Afterlife With and Life With books are selling themselves. I haven't read an Archie comic in years, and they pulled me back in with these more horror comics. And who knows, with the success of this line, it might entice other creators to come to Archie Comics to do titles that are new and not Archie related.

The most important aspect that you're forgetting is that Afterlife and Dark Sabrina are being made....WHILE THE PRIME ARCHIE STUFF IS STILL BEING MADE AS WELL.

It's the equivalent of the Disney Afternoon having the likes of Darkwing Duck, Timon & Pumbaa and Goof Troop alongside Gargoyles. Now if they did cancel everything else solely to focus on Afterlife and Dark Sabrina, then yes, there would be problems.

But as it is, it's simply Archie Comics expanding their repertoire and possibly even reaching out to their audiences that have grown up with them over the years. Afterlife apparently has been selling extremely well, so there you go.

As for my earlier comment, it's not that I hate this new Dark Sabrina or anything like that. I find the concept very interesting, and I simply made that comment in response to being legitimately freaked out.

BANNED

this seems... interesting.

Afterlife with Archie is so good, based on it's strengths alone i might give this book a chance too when it arrives.

I'm glad that archie is venturing into different genres, I wish the big 2 would do more of that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    As for my earlier comment, it's not that I hate this new Dark Sabrina or anything like that. I find the concept very interesting, and I simply made that comment in response to being legitimately freaked out.
    I am loving Afterlife but, yeah, Sabrina might actually be doing the horror so well I might be afraid to read it

BANNED

That's great that people like this and it's available to them. It reads as derivative to me I'd rather see something fresh in the shops.

Count me in, this looks really good.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Spectacular Member

Afterlife is damn fantastic, but I'm actually more excited for this. Seems way more creepy and I'm loving it.

That was creepy good. Count me in too. Still deciding between monthly issues or trades though. It seems good enough to want to wait for the trade and have it on my bookshelf.

I love that they are putting out the preview now, while it is available for pre-order in the Previews catalog, rather than waiting for the ship date when it's too late to order it and you're stuck hoping your LCS got extra copies. (Though they would be smart to re-publish the preview at that point too.)

BANNED

I seen a lot of weird stuff in my life. I'm surprised to see Archie trying it best to embrace the horror aspects of Sabrina and the Afterlife series.

Archie is truly branching out beyond its clean cut image and is slowly becoming a force to be reckon with, when you considered their recent decisions over the past few years.

From the Election of 2009, the Life with Archie series showcasing BOTH marriages between Betty and Veronica, the "REAL WORLD" look and Kevin Keller, this little clean company is truly trying to embrace with the times that we are in.