Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BANNED

yeah I'm really disappointed about what happened with red circle....they announced new crusaders a dark tomorrow and never released it....because all age superhero books weren't cool anymore they had to make them dark and gritty

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    yeah I'm really disappointed about what happened with red circle....they announced new crusaders a dark tomorrow and never released it....because all age superhero books weren't cool anymore they had to make them dark and gritty
    That was a real bummer.

Between New Crusaders and the Young Justice cartoon/comic, I saw an all-ages revolution forming.
    But the Grim & Gritty Gods wouldn't allow that. So Young Justice was ripped to shreds by Cartoon Network and DC and New Crusaders was abandoned by Archie.

It's really a shame.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

i just don't see how archie can have faith in this new dark circle imprint when they can't even get afterlife and sabrina shipping on a regular basis....how is this any better than the red circle plan?!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    It's possible that the delay may have already killed Sabrina and Archie is focusing instead on the Waid Archie revamp.
    I agree. Sabrina is toast. I know of two readers in my hometown that have dropped it. I just did the same as I typed this message.

BANNED

this is stupid...how could archie keep letting this happen?

this is stupid...how could archie keep letting this happen?
    Might be helpful if we knew what was causing the delay before we jump all over the company . . .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Might be helpful if we knew what was causing the delay before we jump all over the company . . .
    It's usually the artist. If it is, then I am genuinely upset that Robert hack is doing variant covers for Archie's superhero line that is bound to fail

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I would normally agree with this.
    However, what makes me skeptical is that it's a developing trend for Archie to make a big deal of a new series and then after successfully releasing to much fanfare, they fail to follow through with it.
    The books go into delays and are seemingly abandoned for the next buzz comic.

I hope they'll prove me wrong but that's just how I see it.

Especially given that Afterlife was such a big success and Sabrina was made to tap that audience. You would think they would not only realize that it was crucial to exploit the concept while the time was right, but also know that they only get one shot to do so.
    Which means key talent (which they had) and maintaining visibility (which they've lost by the delay).

All the work that went into building up excitement for the series is somewhat wasted as now they're going to have to work harder to bring it back to readers' attention.

With the weight of the importance of how Sabrina was to build up the audience coming out of Afterlife, Archie's surprise hit that brought them a chance at grabbing new readers and more marketshare... you would think they would take the precaution to ensure that the second issue would be out in a timely manner.
    The comic industry, much like every other medium in the current age, suffers from an acute form of ADD. It's all about today's new buzz item. If you do get fortunate enough to get their attention you better do all you can to hold it until they're hooked. Otherwise, they're gone to the next "big thing".

Sorry... I didn't mean to ramble.
    I think the point I'm trying to make is that Archie has had this problem in the past and when they have a sure hit with Sabrina, they should know from previous ventures how important it is to follow up on a successful launch to maintain momentum.

BANNED

It's clear that archie needs to replace both Francavilla on afterlife because the delays have practically killed the book and he's not fast enough to really make a difference....he's so busy right now that it's impossible to really see him as the permanent artist

Same with Robert Hack...it seems like he's slow as crap for whatever reason....

yet Archie is already hyping up the dark circle line despite them failing to keep afterlife and sabrina on a consistent path....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    It's usually the artist. If it is, then I am genuinely upset that Robert hack is doing variant covers for Archie's superhero line that is bound to fail
    i gotta feel the same way....i mean Robert Hack nor the writer has really let fans in on what's happening with sabrina it's really really pathetic

Something that alarmed me....
    Quoted from the CBR feature about the Dark Circle variant covers:

...So when I pitched him on doing a single variant, he came back with three!...
    What???
    *blank stare*

BTW... I'm trying not to be too critical.
    However, I feel Archie is in need of some "tough love".

I was a big supporter of New Crusaders and saw it generate a lot of buzz.
    Only to be scrapped before it could build a strong following.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 01-01-2015 at 09:59 PM.

BANNED

what alarmed you about that quote?

what alarmed you about that quote?
    The fact that he already has an assignment on Sabrina, and was asked to do one cover for Dark Circle... but somehow managed to get three covers done.
    Either he's really fast or it took time away from drawing Sabrina.

Or... it could mean that the delay is from the writer and not the artist...

Of course... it could also mean that he's caught up on Sabrina and did those covers while waiting for the script for #3...
    But we have no idea.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 01-01-2015 at 10:23 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    The fact that he already has an assignment on Sabrina, and was asked to do one cover for Dark Circle... but somehow managed to get three covers done.
    Either he's really fast or it took time away from drawing Sabrina.

Or... it could mean that the delay is from the writer and not the artist...
    well the writer is the same one for afterlife and he's also suppose to be helping with the riverdale tv series.....so who can say?

i just love how they don't acknowledge that sabrina has only shipped out one issue so far....and notice how they take quick jabs at marvel/DC

i mean here's a line from the fox artist Dean Haspiel from an article not too long ago

" the big crossover events often read like desperate yet unnecessary Hail Maries. I have no gripes against exciting the fans and making a big deal out of your fictional universe on an annual basis, but I enjoy the quieter superhero books like "Daredevil," "Hawkeye," "She-Hulk," "Silver Surfer," "Moon Knight" and "Iron Fist" because they're largely left alone and I don't need to spend a quadrillion dollars to get the full scope of the story. And, right now, Dark Circle is mandating that we dig deep, get serious and/or psychedelic and experiment with their toys while keeping us in check of what the market wants. It's been an interesting learning curve for me. "-Dean Haspiel

and then Alex Segura says this in the recent article with the hack variants

". We’re trying to build each of these books slowly, and have the story and art drive the book, as opposed to editorial mandate. My philosophy is to let these really talented creators tell the stories they want to tell within the pretty relaxed constraints of Dark Circle. Are there times where I’ll ask for a tweak or edit? Sure. But at the end of the day, we brought these guys in because we liked their work, not because we wanted to micromanage. So, the difference between what we’re hoping to do and what the other superhero publishers are doing is that we’re probably leaning more toward being creator-driven as opposed to editorial driven. We want unique, different takes on these characters for a new reader. We don’t want to upset past fans of these books, but we also realize that we need to widen the base a bit – hell, a lot – to make them count in terms of sales. We need to tell good stories, bottom line. And they can’t come with too many conditions, like “For more, read this other comic!” No, they have to be strong comics that also feel like an investment. We want people to feel like they’re getting their money’s worth, the same way I think fans do when they get Afterlife or Sabrina. Putting out a quality product that appeals to a wide audience and delivers – consistently – in terms of art and story. That’s what will make the line last."

well the writer is the same one for afterlife and he's also suppose to be helping with the riverdale tv series.....so who can say?

i just love how they don't acknowledge that sabrina has only shipped out one issue so far....and notice how they take quick jabs at marvel/DC

i mean here's a line from the fox artist Dean Haspiel from an article not too long ago

" the big crossover events often read like desperate yet unnecessary Hail Maries. I have no gripes against exciting the fans and making a big deal out of your fictional universe on an annual basis, but I enjoy the quieter superhero books like "Daredevil," "Hawkeye," "She-Hulk," "Silver Surfer," "Moon Knight" and "Iron Fist" because they're largely left alone and I don't need to spend a quadrillion dollars to get the full scope of the story. And, right now, Dark Circle is mandating that we dig deep, get serious and/or psychedelic and experiment with their toys while keeping us in check of what the market wants. It's been an interesting learning curve for me. "-Dean Haspiel

and then Alex Segura says this in the recent article with the hack variants

". We’re trying to build each of these books slowly, and have the story and art drive the book, as opposed to editorial mandate. My philosophy is to let these really talented creators tell the stories they want to tell within the pretty relaxed constraints of Dark Circle. Are there times where I’ll ask for a tweak or edit? Sure. But at the end of the day, we brought these guys in because we liked their work, not because we wanted to micromanage. So, the difference between what we’re hoping to do and what the other superhero publishers are doing is that we’re probably leaning more toward being creator-driven as opposed to editorial driven. We want unique, different takes on these characters for a new reader. We don’t want to upset past fans of these books, but we also realize that we need to widen the base a bit – hell, a lot – to make them count in terms of sales. We need to tell good stories, bottom line. And they can’t come with too many conditions, like “For more, read this other comic!” No, they have to be strong comics that also feel like an investment. We want people to feel like they’re getting their money’s worth, the same way I think fans do when they get Afterlife or Sabrina. Putting out a quality product that appeals to a wide audience and delivers – consistently – in terms of art and story. That’s what will make the line last."
    Yeah... Alex's sounded a lot like it was a Marvel anti-DC speech from the early 2000s.
    He coulda stopped after "mandate" and everyone would've understood what he meant. But he continued on to make his point... and make it clear.