Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

I'm seeing the movie at 10pm, so I'm not really concerned about reviews/spoilers.

What I am a little concerned about is the characterization of Hellboy in this particular adaptation. He's feeling a little too Deadpool to me between the attitude and cussing, but it's only two more days and I'll see for myself.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Seeing the movie at 7pm on Thursday 4/10.
    Still have a bitter taste that DelTorro never prioritized a HB 3 with Perlman/Blair. They deserved a better commercial finish than Golden Army that got trounced by The Dark Knight. The film itself was a technical and critically fun film, just overshadowed due to poor release date.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I think it would be neat for Del Toro to do HB3 as a limited issue comic series or graphic novel. (Kind of like what Whedon did with Buffy, Angel, Firefly, etc.)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by grogtheslayer View Post
    I think it would be neat for Del Toro to do HB3 as a limited issue comic series or graphic novel. (Kind of like what Whedon did with Buffy, Angel, Firefly, etc.)
    He brought it up to Mignola years ago, Mignola didn't want the movies getting comic adaptations

Wowzers! Reviews for this are some of the harshest I've seen in awhile, with refrains like 'worst comic book movie' and 'contender for worst film of the year' being thrown around already! Sadly, I can't say I'm too surprised. Little of what we've seen has inspired much confidence, despite some talented folks involved in its making.

I'll be seeing you tomorrow, naturally! At this point I hope I'll be able to just enjoy it as a fun kind of B-movie.

Mighty Member

Amazing Member

I've said it before elsewhere and I'll say it again: despite writing some amazing comics, I don't think Mignola should have an iota of creative freedom when it comes to adapting his stuff into movies. He consistently says things in interviews that make it near impossible for me to get excited about either Hellboy movie eras. Del Toro at least had the ability to get creative and artistic with design and style; Neil Marshall is a director I wouldn't credit with much more talent than Uwe Boll, and at least Boll seems to have no illusions about his capabilities.

I'll probably buy the disc out of brand loyalty when it comes out, but with this kind of feedback there's no way I'm paying ~$20 to sit through two hours of misbegotten floundering efforts to adapt what should be an easy, unbelievably cinematic story, world, and character.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lobster View Post
    He brought it up to Mignola years ago, Mignola didn't want the movies getting comic adaptations
    Hmmm...well, I'd still like to read the script (maybe with some Del Toro drawings to annotate it).

Jeez...

While I know that "Take This With A Grain Of Salt..." is always the rule, even a third of this being remotely true would explain quite a bit -

https://www.thewrap.com/hellboy-davi...neil-marshall/

Inside ‘Hellboy’ Reboot’s Fiery Shoot: Fights Over David Harbour, Cinematography and a Tree (Exclusive)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Jeez...

While I know that "Take This With A Grain Of Salt..." is always the rule, even a third of this being remotely true would explain quite a bit -

https://www.thewrap.com/hellboy-davi...neil-marshall/
    a trio of men arguing whether a tree should be symmetrical or asymmetrical is a conversation I would expect to read in a Mignola comic

Amazing Member

If that wasn't enough, Neil Marshall wasn't at the premiere and he hasn't been doing any interviews for it. It is quite telling.
    This would explain why this movie is such a disaster.
    Mignola must be heartbroken. Sigh.
    Imo, they should have done a much smaller movie. Same budget (50 millions) but they should have adapted something like The Wolves of Saint August and made it like an X-Files monster of the week episode. Don't have any other characters other than Hellboy (still working for B.p.r.d.) and tried not to contradict the previous movies while not saying it's a sequel. They had the perfect director (Marshall) to take this more horror approach. Why they thought adapting one of the biggest Hellboy storyline on a shoestring budget was a good idea is beyond me.
    Last edited by fred25_ca; 04-11-2019 at 05:54 AM.

Spectacular Member

if Harbour stormed off set in the middle of takes...doesn't that mean he was in full makeup? that's sort of comical to picture. Hellboy saying screw you and leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by fred25_ca View Post
    Imo, they should have done a much smaller movie. Same budget (50 millions) but they should have adapted something like The Wolves of Saint August and made it like an X-Files monster of the week episode. Don't have any other characters other than Hellboy (still working for B.p.r.d.) and tried not to contradict the previous movies while not saying it's a sequel. They had the perfect director (Marshall) to take this more horror approach. Why they thought adapting one of the biggest Hellboy storyline on a shoestring budget was a good idea is beyond me.
    There's nothing I want more than a small scale, monster-of-the-week Hellboy movie! You could do it for so little money, comparatively.

I'm still looking forward to it. It sounds like the action pieces were well done, the story itself is a mess. I can deal with that with enough blood, beers, and bad food. I like plenty of horrible B-movies. As long as it entertains I won't feel ripped off, but it does sound like a missed opportunity to create an enduring Hellboy cinematic universe.