Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324
    Spectacular Member

Kind of saw this coming as soon as Mila Jovovich was cast, judgment of acting skills aside, she certainly doesn't show up in many good films.

Amazing Member

It’s hard to even pin down how it would be as an adaptation because as a film it’s so poorly made. The pacing is awful, the characters are rarely if ever given anything to do other than exposit, and the CG ranges from “oh...” to “I guess they couldn’t afford union work.”

That said, all the character changes make little to no sense. Bruttenholm becomes a callous, rude manipulator. Hellboy is essentially a manchild. Alice is Johann now, maybe? Or something? The Baba Yaga was okay until she started flailing around with kukri (?) knives. And poor, poor Daimio, being turned from a tragic monster suffering from his affliction into a third-act fist-pump action heavy.

Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by ckmoak View Post
    It’s hard to even pin down how it would be as an adaptation because as a film it’s so poorly made. The pacing is awful, the characters are rarely if ever given anything to do other than exposit, and the CG ranges from “oh...” to “I guess they couldn’t afford union work.”

That said, all the character changes make little to no sense. Bruttenholm becomes a callous, rude manipulator. Hellboy is essentially a manchild. Alice is Johann now, maybe? Or something? The Baba Yaga was okay until she started flailing around with kukri (?) knives. And poor, poor Daimio, being turned from a tragic monster suffering from his affliction into a third-act fist-pump action heavy.

Ouch.
    I think the film was obsessed with being "badass". Personally, this is poison for good writing and it puts up a wall between the viewers and the characters, making the whole thing a hollow spectacle. As you say, Daimio is stripped back so that he's almost completely constructed around his third-act fist-pump moment.

It's like there was someone in all story meetings that asked "Is it badass?" and this was the barrier of entry for scenes and characters to make it into the film.
    Last edited by middenway; 07-11-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Amazing Member

I agree. I also wonder whether there was a script/loose cut that was muuuuuch longer that the studio balked on and chopped into what we got.

It really is a shame the rumor of a Netflix shared universe mode turned out to just be rumors. Somebody, someday, will do these stories justice.