Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Hellboy Movie Reboot

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...arbour-1001462

Did not see this coming. But quite excited.

Fantastic Member

I just saw this. Mike confirmed it on facebook and on twitter. It is real. He also said it would be R-rated. I am kinda psyched about this.

Understatement. I am very, very happy. Neil Marshall is excellent.

I'd recommend both Descent films and Dog Soldiers, all of which could come straight out of the Mignolaverse, and all of which have a dark streak a mile wide.

Here's hoping it does well.
    Last edited by zerodemon; 05-08-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Like the actor. He isn't as perfect for the role as Perlman was, but he's a good choice. Unfortunately, while I know this director has many fans I have never cared for Marshall's work.

I'd much rather have Hellboy 3.

I'm just hoping this time around they make Hellboy the worlds greatest paranormal investigator. Never truly got that feeling from him in the others films

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Like the actor. He isn't as perfect for the role as Perlman was, but he's a good choice. Unfortunately, while I know this director has many fans I have never cared for Marshall's work.

I that Harbour will be a better fit. Hellboy is weary, with shoulders slumped. I never got that from the previous films. In those Hellboy felt like a caricature rather than a real person just doing his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    I'm just hoping this time around they make Hellboy the worlds greatest paranormal investigator. Never truly got that feeling from him in the others films
    I like that Hellboy isn't the world's greatest paranormal investigator (that's a title more suited to Sir Edward Grey or Professor Bruttenholm), but rather the most famous. In the comics that title was something a magazine came up with. I enjoy how it says something about Hellboy is seen by the public though. He's been around for over 50 years and he's just accepted. He's casually unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    I that Harbour will be a better fit. Hellboy is weary, with shoulders slumped. I never got that from the previous films. In those Hellboy felt like a caricature rather than a real person just doing his job.
    Yeah, I can see Harbor capturing the weariness of the comic HB better, but to me Perlman brought his version of the character so vividly to life I didn't care that it was a bit different. I've said it before, but I see the difference between the comic and movie interpretations of HB as something like Disney's animated Donald Duck and Carl Barks' comic book Donald Duck: both distinct achievements in their own right.

Personally, I was just so invested in seeing the movie version of Hellboy wrapped up satisfactorily in the same way Mike was able to bring his comic to an end, and this reboot just seems like rubbing it in. Total bummer.

Yeah, I can see Harbor capturing the weariness of the comic HB better, but to me Perlman brought his version of the character so vividly to life I didn't care that it was a bit different. I've said it before, but I see the difference between the comic and movie interpretations of HB as something like Disney's animated Donald Duck and Carl Barks' comic book Donald Duck: both distinct achievements in their own right.
    Yeah, Perlman's take was different, but it was also iconic. This new film is going to have a hard time deconstructing audience's expectations during marketing.

Wow. Was not expecting this. Harbour definitely seems like a great fit for a more comic Hellboy. I love the Del Toro's films, but the movie Hellboy character is not nearly as interesting about Mignola's version IMO. I'm a little concerned about the R rating. I'm not quite sure what it would bring to the table, and seems kinda like they're trying to cash in (like so many other upcoming movies) on the success of Deadpool. Mignola's monsters always seem more strange than scary, if that makes any sense, and violence never seems over the top in the comics. Seeing Hellboy using any R rated language would seem off to me too. I just wanna see him say "JEEZE!".
    Last edited by Gruagach; 05-08-2017 at 10:33 PM.

Always going to welcome a new attempt at Hellboy, but I feel for Perlman and Del Toro - they seemed to put their heart and soul into the two they made and this seems a little like a slap in the face. Gutted for them, and sad what it may mean for friendships previously made.

Yeah - me too.
    Would much rather have Hellboy 3 or at the very least keep Ron Perlman

Quote Originally Posted by Gruagach View Post
    I'm a little concerned about the R rating. I'm not quite sure what it would bring to the table, and seems kinda like they're trying to cash in (like so many other upcoming movies) on the success of Deadpool. Mignola's monsters always seem more strange than scary, if that makes any sense, and violence never seems over the top in the comics. Seeing Hellboy using any R rated language would seem off to me too. I just wanna see him say "JEEZE!".
    Considering both Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden are involved in the script, I wouldn't be worried. The Conjuring, The Awakening, and The Babadook were all rated R. Plus, the MPAA has some really weird rules regarding depictions of Hell. And smoking too, come to think of it.

I did not see this coming either. I really enjoyed the first two Hellboy movies. I really had high hopes for Hellboy 3. It's sad that Ron Perlman isn't returning, but I'm glad they're not giving up on this franchise. It's a bit late to the superhero movie party, but it's just in time for the R-rated movies. Deadpool and Logan have both started a trend. There is now a market for an R-rated superhero movie. And I think Hellboy could fit into that market perfectly if done well.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

With that title, Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen, I can't be the only one thinking it refers to Nimue, right?

Or is it just a coincidence that David Harbour linked an image from The Wild Hunt shortly after the announcement?
    Last edited by middenway; 05-09-2017 at 05:44 AM.

Spectacular Member

I'm a little surprised Mignola and Golden got to write the script, pretty unusual to allow that sort of thing. it gives me some hope this won't be "franchised", Del Toro's films weren't a perfect rendering of Hellboy but I felt they captured the spirit of the book AND they were clearly made by a person with a singular vision whereas many comic book films feel like assembly line products.

I'm especially curious if Mignola got to write the actual dialogue or if it's just a story credit. I'd love to see his sardonic humor properly rendered on screen.

BANNED

Here's hoping Ron Perlman gets a cameo appearance in this reboot film. I mean it would be nice to have one, right ?