Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

That new trailer is so great!

I’m still not feelin it. Oh well.

It was fun.

Not that different than the first to me.

Hasn't changed my mind on it.

hope it does well.

Amazing Member

The origin sequence looks a lot more on model than the Del Toro version. Was wondering if they'd address Ben's curse. Alice in name only is a little bothersome to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbolt66 View Post
    The origin sequence looks a lot more on model than the Del Toro version. Was wondering if they'd address Ben's curse. Alice in name only is a little bothersome to me.
    Maybe we watched a different trailer, but I didn't see that at all. The origin was the part from the Del Toro movie that mirrored the comics closest, IMO.

This is a better trailer, but I'm still in the same boat. Nothing I'm seeing is justifying a reboot. It feels like the previous iteration with more F-Bombs and less vision. Who knows. Maybe it's a combo of two bad trailers and the movie will be great. I sure hope so.

Amazing Member

It just looks more on comic model to me, the movie makers still take a lot of liberties with the stories and continuity. The origin bits just looks more comic book-y to me. The 3D goggled Nazi really sold that for me.
    Last edited by Tbolt66; 03-02-2019 at 02:34 AM.

After rewatching, I thought it was a fun trailer but it didn't change my mind on the film. Ironically the biggest problem is that it feels too similar to the Del Toro films and less its own unique take. It might have been better had they adapted another part of Hellboy's history like his early years at the BPRD or even the Witchfinder/Lobster johnson stuff.

I wouldn't mind if Abe and Liz get their own spinoffs before we meet them. Them being Hellboy's partners/friends who he hasn't seen in a while and are on different case/departments is a good way to use them.

Not gonna lie tho Hellboy has some good wisecracks in the trailer.

The character I'm most concerned with is Alice (the girl with the braids) as she had a different role in the comics. I'm curious if her connection/history with the Fay is gonna be acknowledged.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    After rewatching, I thought it was a fun trailer but it didn't change my mind on the film. Ironically the biggest problem is that it feels too similar to the Del Toro films and less its own unique take. It might have been better had they adapted another part of Hellboy's history like his early years at the BPRD or even the Witchfinder/Lobster johnson stuff.

I wouldn't mind if Abe and Liz get their own spinoffs before we meet them. Them being Hellboy's partners/friends who he hasn't seen in a while and are on different case/departments is a good way to use them.

Not gonna lie tho Hellboy has some good wisecracks in the trailer.

The character I'm most concerned with is Alice (the girl with the braids) as she had a different role in the comics. I'm curious if her connection/history with the Fay is gonna be acknowledged.
    Or her comic history with Hellboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbolt66 View Post
    Or her comic history with Hellboy.
    True but that's easy to keep. You could have that be in the film as her backstory and what led her to join the BPRD etc. Having her be on Hellboy's side would make her a foil to Ben who feels anti-Hellboy from the trailer.

You could even have her try and broker a bridge between the humans and the Fae. I just hope she isn't a love interest as I felt like the past films were defined by Liz/Hellboy. Granted i did like Hellboy/Liz together.

I feel like if Hellboy did have a romantic relationship, giving him a former relationship with Kate would be better. Having them being amiable exes fits the series better.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-02-2019 at 04:59 PM.

I'm on the fence about the new movie. I say this as a 23-year reader of the comics and HB collector. I truly do enjoy the entire Mignolaverse, even though some of the parts lately that have left me flat, and Mignola is very clear (and on record) about saying how the narrative universes among the different properties (comics, prose work (kinda, sorta), live action films, and animated productions) are really their own distinct endeavors. I think it is important to remember that the readership (while passionate) for the comics is actually quite low (less than 6000 for the latest issue of BPRD: The Devil You Know) so these films are really more for a mass audience, and one that might like comic book heroes even if the overwhelming majority do not read comic books. From the trailers and some production shots, yes, there will be stuff in there for the comic book fans, but this endeavor is more rooted in cinema than in the comics.

Fantastic Member

True but that's easy to keep. You could have that be in the film as her backstory and what led her to join the BPRD etc. Having her be on Hellboy's side would make her a foil to Ben who feels anti-Hellboy from the trailer.

You could even have her try and broker a bridge between the humans and the Fae. I just hope she isn't a love interest as I felt like the past films were defined by Liz/Hellboy. Granted i did like Hellboy/Liz together.

I feel like if Hellboy did have a romantic relationship, giving him a former relationship with Kate would be better. Having them being amiable exes fits the series better.
    Did you not read his relationship with Alice in the comics as romantic? I certainly did. I think if they're making a movie that is true to the comics, that understated romance almost has to be present. Of course, it would likely be complicated by all that Nimue fondling we see in the trailer, which I hope doesn't evolve into a full on love scene. Seeing Hellboy get busy would very much feel like seeing Howard the Duck get down to me.

I'm trying not to draw direct comparisons between the GDT movie and this one because I'm fairly certain they'll have little in common (though the gangly murder demons do look distinctly GDTish.)

Quote Originally Posted by grogtheslayer View Post
    I'm on the fence about the new movie. I say this as a 23-year reader of the comics and HB collector. I truly do enjoy the entire Mignolaverse, even though some of the parts lately that have left me flat, and Mignola is very clear (and on record) about saying how the narrative universes among the different properties (comics, prose work (kinda, sorta), live action films, and animated productions) are really their own distinct endeavors. I think it is important to remember that the readership (while passionate) for the comics is actually quite low (less than 6000 for the latest issue of BPRD: The Devil You Know) so these films are really more for a mass audience, and one that might like comic book heroes even if the overwhelming majority do not read comic books. From the trailers and some production shots, yes, there will be stuff in there for the comic book fans, but this endeavor is more rooted in cinema than in the comics.
    I agree that the movie must really be judged as a standalone entity. It isn't in continuity with the books, so I can't see any reason why we must judge it by the same merit. I'm not really feeling cold on it as you are, because I like the director's previous movies and so he's developed some trust and good will with me (I passed a tough exam in my film course by writing about the movie Dog Soldiers.) From my time working in a comic store, I think a lot of comics readers trade-wait on the Hellboy stuff at this point. We always sold more copies of the trade than any individual issue, and the first volume of In Hell was one of our bestselling titles of the year. That said, we'd built up a significant community around the Hellboy titles.
    Last edited by zerodemon; 03-03-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Amazing Member

Well she was a love interest in the comics. Be funny if they went the other way this time and ignored that subplot.

I know Alice and Hellboy was romantic in the comics, I just thought maybe they should hold off on it till later or play around with it more.

I know Alice and Hellboy was romantic in the comics, I just thought maybe they should hold off on it till later or play around with it more.
    It'd be nice if he had some love interest to raise the stakes of him saving this world and give him a further reason for rejecting Nimue; so I don't mind him having a relation to Alice in this iteration.

This was about an abandoned movie project featuring Abe and Nuada/Nuala. I think it should get resurrected as a comic miniseries or even as a future film spinoff. I don't think they were ever introduced in comic canon so maybe this could be their introduction?

Abe seems too overshadowed by Nuada so maybe you could give him more to do. Maybe they have to team up to stop a different threat? Maybe Nuada/Nuala met his past self and that sets him on the path to discover who he is?
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-04-2019 at 03:32 PM.