Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Fourth Hellboy film in the works, not associated with the other three.

https://discussingfilm.net/2023/02/1...rks-exclusive/

Hopefully Mike gets a bucket of cash upfront, I'm not filled filled with hope for this one either.
    Sounds perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    https://discussingfilm.net/2023/02/1...rks-exclusive/

Hopefully Mike gets a bucket of cash upfront, I'm not filled filled with hope for this one either.
    I'm hoping it's a period piece like Hellboy's stories in the 60s.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm hoping it's a period piece like Hellboy's stories in the 60s.
    The article said the working title is Hellboy: The Crooked man, which while a great story seems a little odd as a film adaptation. It also said that they're starting filming this April in Bulgaria and that no major studio is attached to it so it's likely going to streaming.

I've never heard of that website before so I don't know how accurate their reporting is so it could be absolute rumor mongering, but if it isn't expect this film to be equal to 90's garbage direct to video quality...which is only slightly worse than the last reboot.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    The article said the working title is Hellboy: The Crooked man, which while a great story seems a little odd as a film adaptation. It also said that they're starting filming this April in Bulgaria and that no major studio is attached to it so it's likely going to streaming.

I've never heard of that website before so I don't know how accurate their reporting is so it could be absolute rumor mongering, but if it isn't expect this film to be equal to 90's garbage direct to video quality...which is only slightly worse than the last reboot.
    I liked the idea of adapting one of the short stories. They are fun reads and work as a good intro. Plus Del Toro already did the origin so that's off the table. I wished the last movie did the same thing. The Wild hunt works more as a sequel to me.

I'm just hoping we get more Hellboy. Shame David Harbour would be replaced, I liked him as an actor.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-17-2023 at 10:20 AM.

I'd be happy if they did more of the Hellboy animated and pitched that as a streaming series to networks looking to cash in on the surge in popularity in "adult" animation like Legend of Vox Machina. Hellboy lends itself better to series than movie, in my estimation and animated would be more economically feasible than live action for something like this. Hellboy really needs a big budget to work as live action unless you have some kind of sfx guru who can pull off most of the stuff with practical effects on a shoestring budget with minimal CGI, because really good CGI requires a lot of time and effort by a fairly large staff of artists, something that doesn't lend itself well for a project that lacks studio backing and funding.

I hope this is good, and I will be exited to see it if it ever gets to market, but I am just not sure it's the approach a Hellboy project needs in the current genre marketplace.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I'd be happy if they did more of the Hellboy animated and pitched that as a streaming series to networks looking to cash in on the surge in popularity in "adult" animation like Legend of Vox Machina. Hellboy lends itself better to series than movie, in my estimation and animated would be more economically feasible than live action for something like this. Hellboy really needs a big budget to work as live action unless you have some kind of sfx guru who can pull off most of the stuff with practical effects on a shoestring budget with minimal CGI, because really good CGI requires a lot of time and effort by a fairly large staff of artists, something that doesn't lend itself well for a project that lacks studio backing and funding.

I hope this is good, and I will be exited to see it if it ever gets to market, but I am just not sure it's the approach a Hellboy project needs in the current genre marketplace.

-M
    I loved Hellboy Animated, but a more serious animated take would be awesome.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Is this some sort of thing where the group that licensed the rights has to make a movie or the rights revert back to Mike?

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Is this some sort of thing where the group that licensed the rights has to make a movie or the rights revert back to Mike?
    I don't know, but I'm not sure giving him complete control is better or worse at this point as Mignola thought the last film was fantastic.

It would be dope if Del Toro could come back and finish his take.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't know, but I'm not sure giving him complete control is better or worse at this point as Mignola thought the last film was fantastic.
    Maybe he is supposed to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Maybe he is supposed to say that.
    I'm not a fan of that kind of mentality, there's no shame in being honest. George Clooney famously told people in the lead up to Batman and Robin that if they saw it then he was sorry and he'd pay them back the cost of the ticket if they stopped him in the street and asked.

And in my opinion I'd rather watch Batman and Robin again than the last Hellboy.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It would be dope if Del Toro could come back and finish his take.

Feel like the time has passed for a cast aged out of their roles... but it could be animation! Stop motion Hellboy would be dope.

Adapting The Crooked Man could be great, because it's one of the great comics of all time! But it also fills me with apprehension: it could be beautifully realized folk horror... or it could be set in a forest because that's cheap and the end result will feel cheap. Also, you have these Appalachian folks, white and black people, that I feel need to be handled with care and authenticity when brought into the real world of live action. They're filming in Bulgaria? Unless they cast the damn thing in Carolina I'm nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Feel like the time has passed for a cast aged out of their roles... but it could be animation! Stop motion Hellboy would be dope.

Adapting The Crooked Man could be great, because it's one of the great comics of all time! But it also fills me with apprehension: it could be beautifully realized folk horror... or it could be set in a forest because that's cheap and the end result will feel cheap. Also, you have these Appalachian folks, white and black people, that I feel need to be handled with care and authenticity when brought into the real world of live action. They're filming in Bulgaria? Unless they cast the damn thing in Carolina I'm nervous.
    The Golden Army ends with the tease of Hellboy and Liv having twins so you could focus on them as adults.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-19-2023 at 01:18 PM.

The first Hellboy was a classic in so many ways, cast crew story that it will be hard to beat. As for this new one the guy directed Ghostrider 2 NUFF SAID.
    Hail Hydra!

Incredible Member

Another article:

https://collider.com/new-hellboy-reb...ating-details/

Some casting info would be good about now.
    Sounds perfect.