Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    ... but, I must say the fact he was cast in the first place still raises a lot of red flags about the people calling the shots of this movie.
    Well, what I feel to be seeing isn't flags but developments more rather.
    Like I'd agree with you I'm basically just gonna have to wait and see - all the way until the movie becomes fully made and realised - with hoping for the best in the meantime, but I believe some favorable circumstances have already been putting themselves to the forefront most recently:

1) this movie sounds to have been pitched as based on an existing workable script containing Mike Mignola's distinct involvement. Not a story getting sold off to a studio but a script as certifying Mike Mignola's involvement come what may;

2) the comics are at this time near fully completed, so whatever room or opportunity the earlier movies may have been seeing to alter certain things isn't a thing any longer.

Meaning the people calling the shots can form their adaptation how they wish, but the source material is fixed plus the script which translates the adaptation (its tone and storytelling mechanics) is distinctly going to be seeing Mike Mignola's involvement;

3) Mr. Ed Skreins' declining the Daimio part for the sake of honouring appropriateness is now a known and helpful factor towards keeping with the source matter moreso than not (even if most of the online reactions aren't necessarily by people knowledgeable about who or what Daimio actually is).

And since the movie people both as Lionsgate have actually stated they're glad with how Ed Skrein handled all this, I think I should feel only the less worried now, instead of more worried.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Sounds like Ed Skrein stepping out as a strategic ploy for marketing the movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Only in the sense of making lemonade.

The original comments of an exec. producer were very insulting and pretty tone deaf.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post

The original comments of an exec. producer were very insulting and pretty tone deaf.
    Yeah, it's helped gain a higher profile but not in a way they likely wanted when they made the casting.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post

Yeah, what's that old saying? "Don't assume conspiracy when it can be explained by plain old incompetence" ?

Spectacular Member

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor

^ Ah, thanks.

So, has the movie's title been simplified to plain old 'Hellboy'? Sites seem to be eschewing the subtitle in their reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    So, has the movie's title been simplified to plain old 'Hellboy'? Sites seem to be eschewing the subtitle in their reporting.
    It has - it was reported almost a month ago:

http://www.cbr.com/hellboy-reboot-new-title/
    "Deep down underneath it all, I have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar, on my desk." - Robert Bloch

^Ah, thanks. I figured I missed something!

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    no it wasn't...simply a big mistake and then corrected...trust me

Amazing Member

Ugh I'm an idiot... after further searching I think Sasha Lane wouldn't have trouble acting as an Irish country girl.

I'm guessing they decided to throw Alice's background under the bridge or alter a proportion of it.
    They already have Daimio, who only joined BPRD after Hellboy's departure, being in the movie. And they didn't announce anything about Liz and Abe.
    Maybe the entire BPRD team is different this time.
    It's possible this Alice is in name only (though tbh her character is only a secondary supporting character to start with) and is mainly there to serve as HB's love interest. It'll take too long to explain her being kidnapped by the changeling in the 50's, blessed by the fairies, aged a lot less compare to normal human, and replacing Queen Mab after her demise.
    Last edited by Septaryeth; 09-08-2017 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Septaryeth View Post
    Ugh I'm an idiot... after further searching I think Sasha Lane wouldn't have trouble acting as an Irish country girl.
    I think that the character of Alice isn't simply 'a love interest', but one that significantly steps forth no sooner than after Hellboy having quit the Bureau to go roaming aimlessly for two years on and under the sea's surface - a period culminating in Hellboy becoming to sit and be drinking with skeletons no less.

Alice is a character "touched by faeries" like as if that means something, like as if this 'touch' makes her belong within the faerie realm as much as of the human one. Like the first time Hellboy strolls around with her they happen upon a big-eared magical entity, one which ordinary humans wouldn't be to run into.

I've always been amazed at how many fans back in the late 1990s picked up on Hellboy having had an actual 'love interest' in the person of one Anastasia Bransfield, a girl Hellboy fools around with and even rebels or escapes with for a while - now that's a 'love interest' right there.
    Albeit one that isn't in the Mignola comics but in the illustrated novel 'the Lost Army', by Mignola and the novelist Chris Golden.

But if in 'Darkness Calls' Hellboy wouldn't have had Alice to talk to, then what contact with the human world would Hellboy still been able to have, even with the whole BPRD out of reach?
    The cop and that'd be it, or maybe Queen Mabh.
    All other characters would prove 'special' to say the least, making Alice seem nicely human if also special, just like Mabh pretty much.

Like if Hellboy is already struggling with or sensing his end among the living world, like how as of 'Strange Places' all through 'The Fury', Hellboy can show or dedicate his caring for the living world through this one single (human) character, being Alice.

And I'm kinda thinking the new movie will show Alice as a redhead - very girly and Gaellic and touched by faeries - potentially with dreadlocks even, which I'd consider very awesome.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 09-09-2017 at 07:57 AM. Reason: then.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    I think that the character of Alice isn't simply 'a love interest', but one that significantly steps forth no sooner than after Hellboy having quit the Bureau to go roaming aimlessly for two years on and under the sea's surface - a period culminating in Hellboy becoming to sit and be drinking with skeletons no less.
    Oops sorry, I meant that the Alice in the upcoming movie could be just a love interest. And that was before I thought Sasha Lane is a suitable actress for the role.
    I made the mistake of only seeing some shots from American Honey and immediately thinking her appearance does not fit that of an Irish farm girl born in 1956.
    That's what got the ball rolling; If she couldn't match the background in the comic it's possible the movie have changed her entire setting.

I edited it out after more thorough searches. She totally can nail the character.
    I still have some doubts on Alice's role in the story, though for a different reason (the one I mentioned in the previous post).

Quote Originally Posted by Septaryeth View Post
    Oops sorry, I meant that the Alice in the upcoming movie could be just a love interest. And that was before I thought Sasha Lane is a suitable actress for the role.
    I made the mistake of only seeing some shots from American Honey and immediately thinking her appearance does not fit that of an Irish farm girl born in 1956.
    That's what got the ball rolling; If she couldn't match the background in the comic it's possible the movie have changed her entire setting.

I edited it out after more thorough searches. She totally can nail the character.
    I still have some doubts on Alice's role in the story, though for a different reason (the one I mentioned in the previous post).
    I think that Alice's character is pivotal enough that she couldn't merely get seen as some 'pretty face down the line', but instead this movie is going to resemble the comics.

I think this movie will not have to tell the same story the other two movies did, because those movies are made at this point. So Abe or Liz or Seed-type of things like Hellboy's origin could already be considered knowable as a result.

Therefor I think this movie focuses not on Hellboy's origin but on his destiny or plight more rather.

Like Hellboy might be befriending the humans throughout his existence, eventhough ultimately Hellboy would be the one having to bring Doom upon the living world notwithstanding.
    With other not-so-human factions in the viscinity, such as faeries and Queens of Blood or monsters, even monsters among the B.P.R.D.

And in light of Hellboy's plight, Alice is significant as being the one through which Hellboy can commit his care if not his farewell to those having surrounded him, in the same way the late Prof Bruttenholm did.

I think however minor- or majorly Alice will take part in the movie, she will still be to resemble in the movie who her character is in the comics.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 09-09-2017 at 08:22 AM.