Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    The Claw of Justice!

New quote from Harbour too:

"[Perlman] does something quite extraordinary in those [Hellboy] films [directed by del Toro] that is very specific to him, and I did not want to imitate that in any way. In our movie Hellboy’s younger. He’s rougher. He’s much more of a teenager. He’s really struggling with the idea of whether or not he’s a good person."

I wonder are they keeping the WWII origin? Because if HB is still young and "more of a teenager", that doesn't sound like someone who's been going on missions since 1952.

And... that quote makes me more worried. Hellboy's characterization, his unflappable laid-back demeanor and low-key sense of humor, aren't very teenager-y at all, so I wonder where that direction is coming from. I like the Del Toro films generally but I didn't love HB's characterization - why change such a great character? And I'm worried they're gonna do that again here. I really hope I end up liking this movie but these things make me concerned. Hopefully it'll be great in the end.
    @lobster20000 on Instagram

I’m already worried. Hoping for the best, but not expecting it.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

No Abe and Liz is weird to me.

It would have been better as a period piece like the Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. series.

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post

"[Perlman] does something quite extraordinary in those [Hellboy] films [directed by del Toro] that is very specific to him, and I did not want to imitate that in any way. In our movie Hellboy’s younger. He’s rougher. He’s much more of a teenager. He’s really struggling with the idea of whether or not he’s a good person."

I wonder are they keeping the WWII origin? Because if HB is still young and "more of a teenager", that doesn't sound like someone who's been going on missions since 1952.
    I'm hoping he is only speaking to the attitude of Hellboy as he grows into his supposed role of "harbinger of the apocalypse" in the movie and not his actual age. They do show quick glimpses of project Ragnarok with the Nazi's in the trailer. I am hoping for the best, even if it does diverge from the comics. I loved the old HB movies, but Perlman's Hellboy comes off as a bit dopey to me. They are definitely more for the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post

And... that quote makes me more worried. Hellboy's characterization, his unflappable laid-back demeanor and low-key sense of humor, aren't very teenager-y at all, so I wonder where that direction is coming from. I like the Del Toro films generally but I didn't love HB's characterization - why change such a great character? And I'm worried they're gonna do that again here. I really hope I end up liking this movie but these things make me concerned. Hopefully it'll be great in the end.
    Eh, there's no such thing as a "teenager-y" sense of humor really, humor varies as much among teens as it does adults. I think the teenager response was more about the angst of him figuring out his place in the world and who he wants to be. Least that's my take on it.

That's what I kind of read into it; I can't imagine a teenager having all those deep scars, but the trailers do make it seem like he's being introduced to the BPRD proper for the first time.

Amazing Member

Supposed to be getting an R rating. They must be going for the Deadpool audience. Not a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbolt66 View Post
    Supposed to be getting an R rating. They must be going for the Deadpool audience. Not a good sign.
    They’ve said all along they were aiming for R due to tackling darker themes and leaning more into the Horror elements of the comics. I don’t think that sounds very Deadpoolish at all. Really I think it’s just that Deadpool and Logan have proven R rated super hero movies can do well, so it’s made a darker Hellboy movie possible

I felt the old Hellboy movies were a bit neutered. You've got people getting shot and cut up with not blood or exit wounds; it just didn't feel right to me. I can't wait to see Hellboy get a bit bloody. If Dog Soldiers is any indication we should get quite a frantic creature feature.

EDIT: New trailer tonight per Mike Mignola! Red band!
    Last edited by KROENEN; 02-28-2019 at 11:24 AM.

We already saw people getting shot point blank in the face in the first trailer.

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, there's no such thing as a "teenager-y" sense of humor really, humor varies as much among teens as it does adults. I think the teenager response was more about the angst of him figuring out his place in the world and who he wants to be. Least that's my take on it.
    Yeah, that's true. I suppose it's more his world-weary attitude I'm worried about.

EDIT: Trailer's out at midnight apparently. And new posters: https://www.slashfilm.com/superhero-bits-1694/

I like the new tagline ("Give Evil Hell"). Much better than "Legendary AF".
    Last edited by LobsterJohnson; 02-28-2019 at 07:13 PM.
    @lobster20000 on Instagram

The J-man

That's just a far superior trailer. The first trailer made the film look like a cheaper, more generic version of the previous movies, but this one has far more of an identity to it. It looks like a fun, splatter horror action movie in the vein of something like Army of Darkness.

This one makes the movie look like a lot of fun!
    Last edited by Angilasman; 03-01-2019 at 07:02 AM.

It definitely looks fun, like riding into hell on a demon on fire killing zombies with a sword while eating bacon wrapped burgers fun.

It was a little jilting hearing Hellboy drop some f-bombs, but different medium.