Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast

I'm still looking forward to it. It sounds like the action pieces were well done, the story itself is a mess. I can deal with that with enough blood, beers, and bad food. I like plenty of horrible B-movies. As long as it entertains I won't feel ripped off, but it does sound like a missed opportunity to create an enduring Hellboy cinematic universe.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    There's nothing I want more than a small scale, monster-of-the-week Hellboy movie! You could do it for so little money, comparatively.
    I know right? Imagine a gothic town with fog and old castles similar to the atmosphere in the movie The Nun or old Hammer movies. Add in some big practical fx werewolves and a great script (that relies on characters, mysteries and mood rather than cgi and gore) and you have a potential winner. Start small to gain people's trust, especially after discarding two beloved movies.

That's what most Hellboy fans love, the shorter stories. Not the giant spectacles. And Neil Marshall was so perfect for this. Same with David Harbour. Arrgh. :P

^ Something like Wolves of St. August or Christmas Underground would make a good basis for a small-scale HB film.

Wow, what a shame. And a mess.

Can't really say I'm surprised. Mildly disappointed, but I'd kept my hopes pretty low after the 1st trailer.

Amazing Member

Yeah, Billy Idol really kinda forecasted the direction this would go in. Mony, Mony is sort of an ironic song for them to have picked, since it seems like probably this movie will not make much Mony, Mony.

I'll also join the bandwagon for smaller, atmospheric movies. Wolves of St August really should be a film.

Quote Originally Posted by fred25_ca View Post
    I know right? Imagine a gothic town with fog and old castles similar to the atmosphere in the movie The Nun or old Hammer movies. Add in some big practical fx werewolves and a great script (that relies on characters, mysteries and mood rather than cgi and gore) and you have a potential winner. Start small to gain people's trust, especially after discarding two beloved movies.

That's what most Hellboy fans love, the shorter stories. Not the giant spectacles. And Neil Marshall was so perfect for this. Same with David Harbour. Arrgh. :P
    When they first described it that was kind of what I was expecting; especially given Mike's involvement and his love for Hammer movies. My expectations shifted after seeing the first trailer but I still had faith in Marshall to pull it off. Doomsday, Descent, and Dog Soldiers are all great movies; bloody, violent fun with very little CGI to muck it up. I still plan on seeing it this weekend, but now I am just in it for the visuals and the violence, I am not looking for a good Hellboy adaption, which is a shame considering how much Mike talked it up and how well they nailed his look (and how much I love the universe created in the comics). I can't find any recent interviews with Neil Marshall and didn't see any photos of him during the premier, does not bode well for the movie. Sounds like another shameless Hollywood cash grab.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    ^ Something like Wolves of St. August or Christmas Underground would make a good basis for a small-scale HB film.
    St. August would have been perfect. And Neil Marshall knows his werewolves. And I agree with Kroenen, when they first announced this I also figured they were going in that direction. That first trailer was quite a shock, honestly.

Amazing Member

Something tells me Shazam will still be number one this weekend.

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by fred25_ca View Post
    St. August would have been perfect. And Neil Marshall knows his werewolves. And I agree with Kroenen, when they first announced this I also figured they were going in that direction. That first trailer was quite a shock, honestly.
    I just watched Dog Soldiers for the first time last week, and that is a really fun horror flick. It's a shame how this movie apparently turned out, because I would love to see a small-scale Hellboy movie approached kinda like that.
    "...puppets are scary, and puppets do things when people are sleeping, and they run around and get their own ideas about things." - Mike Mignola

"…if you’ve been damaged, if you’ve been made lesser, if you’ve been reduced, and you’re still trying to do the right thing… that’s a #$%@ing hero." -John Arcudi

@lobster20000 on Instagram

Spectacular Member

in a similar vein, an adaptation of Hellboy in Mexico as a Weird Western would be fun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weird_West

the mixed messaging of saying it's going to be a smaller film only to go right back to doomsday plots only furthers the rumors of BTS turmoil.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I've seen it. The critics are, shall we say, not wrong. This was a terrible, terrible movie. I'll have my full review up tomorrow but I can't stress enough how inept, nasty and boring this film is. If you were uset before about Gullermo del Toro not getting to do a third film, wait until you've seen what we got instead.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I've seen it. The critics are, shall we say, not wrong. This was a terrible, terrible movie. I'll have my full review up tomorrow but I can't stress enough how inept, nasty and boring this film is. If you were uset before about Gullermo del Toro not getting to do a third film, wait until you've seen what we got instead.
    "Nasty" is an apt description. It's a rather mean-spirited film.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    It really is. Who thought that was a good direction for Hellboy, of all things?
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    are you planning to write a review at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lobster View Post
    are you planning to write a review at some point?
    No. I didn't enjoy the film and it'd be a draining experience to write about it. Plus, there are plenty of reviews out there already, and I don't think I have anything to say that hasn't already been said.