Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Yeah, was looking at Tambor's twitter last night. Crazy. I don't get all the people saying "Ron is Hellboy". Don't get me wrong, I loved him as Hellboy, but the character is sooo different from the comic version. Ron is his version of Hellboy. Something completely other than what Mike's character is, which is one of the reason's I'm not upset about a reboot of this franchise. I know we're gonna get something totally different this time around. One thing I'm worried about is that most people know Del Toro's cat loving, child in a man's body, version of Hellboy better than Mike's. It will be interesting to see how they react to such a different version of the character.

People also seem to think Mike owes Del Toro and Perlman everything, and acting like he's betraying his fans. IMO Mike is simply servicing his fans, not Del Toro's. Just as Del Toro aims to please his fans more than Mike's.

In regards to Tambor's tweet, I think one of the reasons that Mike didn't post any sort of "thank you" is cause just months before, GDT and Ron just started campaigning for HB3 without even consulting him. I don't know. All the hate towards Mike is just really starting to get to me. In the end, it's his character and he can do whatever he wants with it.

No more twitter before bed for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alise View Post
    What I been reading so far is heartbreaking (in socials). I would like if people would not attack creators and make them as some kind of bad guys for deciding to move on or talking offers if they feel like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Yeah, some people have been incredibly rude.
    I personally understand being disappointment and I have myself been disappointed many times by many things. I just don't go out of my way to be rude. This is my personal theory, but maybe why Toro and Ron made last attempt in socials to show support over HB3 was due to the fact that there was offers to Mike to do new Hellboy movie. Toro wanted to make 200million budget Hellboy movie, I don't think Universal or any studio would agree on it, especially that HB2 earned only 160million at box office.
    Great post, Alise.

I expect the silly outrage stuff is gonna settle down again, because it simply isn't reasonable for anyone to start blaming mr Mike for any "shooting down GDT's vision" or such crap.

The new Hellboy movie project is now apparently happening, after years and years of ZERO studio interest in a HB3.

Plus ANY of these movies only happen in the first place if licensed and approved by their source material's property holder, being you know who.

Whereas at the same time there ARE existing not one but two on-screen GDT & Mignola cinema visions, for anyone to enjoy.

Based on which I must agree that Tambor's "loyalty"-tweet or even Ron and GDT's attention-seeking at this point'd be seeming rather rude if persisted.

I mean would they - at this point - be wanting to prevent or obstruct this new creative vision from happening?
    Would the GDT-crew somehow own sole rights or something? The way mr Mike does, in actuality? Dust is gonna settle.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 05-14-2017 at 06:54 AM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Regardless of how the reboot turns out, it's successfuly gotten me into reading the Hellboy & BPRD stuff though I find the latter to be a lot stronger writing wise.

I recently checked out Seed of Destruction and.... it's really weird. Weird in a "Imagine if DD Born Again was the first DD story ever told" kind of way.

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    Regardless of how the reboot turns out, it's successfuly gotten me into reading the Hellboy & BPRD stuff though I find the latter to be a lot stronger writing wise.

I recently checked out Seed of Destruction and.... it's really weird. Weird in a "Imagine if DD Born Again was the first DD story ever told" kind of way.
    Seed of Destruction is quite a bit different than the later Hellboy books. I like the first few stories a lot, but I think the series really hits its stride around vol. 3 (if I remember right).

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    Seed of Destruction is quite a bit different than the later Hellboy books. I like the first few stories a lot, but I think the series really hits its stride around vol. 3 (if I remember right).
    That is the case from what I've noticed but it's still really bizarre to start your character out with a story that feels like the conclusion of a whole big status quo that never happens because Seed WAS the start of everything.

Like Jeffrey Tambor.
    Just lost a lot of respect for that dude.

Iirc, Mike wasn't sure he was gonna get to do another hellboy story at the time. He thought it might be the only thing he did that was fully his, so he wanted to kinda put everything into it.
    As LobsterJohnson said though, vol. 3 is where hellboy really starts to get good.

That is the case from what I've noticed but it's still really bizarre to start your character out with a story that feels like the conclusion of a whole big status quo that never happens because Seed WAS the start of everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruagach View Post
    Iirc, Mike wasn't sure he was gonna get to do another hellboy story at the time. He thought it might be the only thing he did that was fully his, so he wanted to kinda put everything into it.
    As LobsterJohnson said though, vol. 3 is where hellboy really starts to get good.
    Hah!
    I think I've been reading quite the same way you did, with the exception that I wouldn't think it bad how much any 'status quo' so purposely becomes to appear broken - time and again in these books.
    I actually love that more rather, because this grants me at least 'two kinds' of storytelling (at least) being on the one hand what I would want to happen or become to feel for (like the BPRD thriving with Hellboy amid it like in SoD and quite the number of other stories), next to what actually appears to happen, with remaining but under scrutiny on a constant, with each new title to read even.
    Same for the Apocalypse as continuously shifting between leaving hope and lack thereof, in an evermore brooding way the more I read.

I think that for Hellboy both as (other) BPRD-titles this ambiguity or paradox is made to seem apparent and abundant.
    And I really enjoy that - I always guess that's mainly why these titles are offered as being 'horror'.
    The angst and mystery is made to prove truely part of the storytelling, kind of like Edgar Allan Poe or Lovecraft, in the sense that much any ominousness or threat so often produces itself as seeming grippingly profound and potentially inescapable.
    Which won't necessarily be easy to read but I guess I like it better than for instance conventional superheroic storytelling, where the good guys always win.

And neither would I find any of it 'too weird' or 'too gripping for my tastes, since any of the blissful or particularly heartfelt bits stand out nonetheless I'd believe.
    It's just that Hellboy's destiny and thus the bureau's (or mankind's) will be and remain under scrutiny for their duration.

To say that for me as a reader 'weird' seems 'good' more rather than 'bad'. (But that's just me and everybody should read the way they'd want.)
    Last edited by Kees_L; 05-14-2017 at 03:48 PM. Reason: removing ghostly duplicate cached quotes.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

I don't get Tambor or anyone who said that Mike is ungrateful to Toro and Ron for Hellboy movies existence. I have read, listen to panels and talked to him personally and he sounds very thankful to Toro and Ron. He let Toro to create his own version of Hellboy. As much as I don't really like movie versions, because I fell in love with comic series. As movies, they are good movies. And I will be always tankful for the first movie that lead me the comics and awesome friends.

I would really like to have that. Please give it to me now

Hopefully the movie is as good as that poster

The Claw of Justice!

That poster is awesome!

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Awesome! I really hope these movies are fantastic
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor