Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    ^Kudos to him for dropping out!
    Agreed, majestic move on Mr. Skreins' part!
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    Agreed, majestic move on Mr. Skreins' part!
    Yup. And he's gained a lot of fans in the Asian American community.

Hm. Doing the right thing, and helping yourself out? Glad that can work out that way for once....

Amazing Member

Wow, mad respect for him!
    Plus, this part:
    “Ed came to us and felt very strongly about this. We fully support his unselfish decision,” Lionsgate, the studio behind the reboot, said in a statement. “It was not our intent to be insensitive to issues of authenticity and ethnicity, and we will look to recast the part with an actor more consistent with the character in the source material.”

Yay! It took an actor stepping down for the right reasons, but at least they are listening! :O

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Yeah, I just saw this on his Instagram

The guy is a true artist.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, I just saw this on his Instagram

The guy is a true artist.
    Wow, he's comes off very sincere here.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Wow, he's comes off very sincere here.
    Yeah, I'm pretty impressed with him over this. I'm hoping that he gets another roll in the film, perhaps Abe.

The producers will cast as Asian actor as Ben

https://geeksofcolor.co/2017/08/28/h...as-ben-daimio/

Really impressed by Mr. Skreins' decision. I am looking forward to his next film.

Im hoping he gets a chance to come back in a different role.

Amazing Member

Oh Good Lord. As a fan of Hellboy and the character of Daimio, I'm so happy about this news. But the public's reaction is just awful. Good lord, people are shallow! I keep seeing all over the net everyone complaining about him stepping down and that the race of Daimio shouldn't matter.

It does. His race is integral to his character. For once, Hollywood listened and decided to change their decision so they could stay faithful to the source material. Geeks should be cheering, not bring up politics and undermine such a good news. I swear, fandom is going down these days...
    It seems to me most people are using a great comic they know NOTHING about to preach their frustrations. Mignola, Arcudi and Davis' creation is just caught in the crossfire...

On a different note, Ed Skreins would be a great choice for Lobster Johnson.
    Also, I really hope we get to see Daimio's Were-jaguar. Neil Marshall has the potential to make this REALLY intense. Can't wait!
    Last edited by fred25_ca; 08-29-2017 at 02:02 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by fred25_ca View Post
    Oh Good Lord. As a fan of Hellboy and the character of Daimio, I'm so happy about this news. But the public's reaction is just awful. Good lord, people are shallow! I keep seeing all over the net everyone complaining about him stepping down and that the race of Daimio shouldn't matter.

It does. His race is integral to his character. For once, Hollywood listened and decided to change their decision so they could stay faithful to the source material. Geeks should be cheering, not bring up politics and undermine such a good news. I swear, fandom is going down these days...
    It seems to me most people are using a great comic they know NOTHING about to preach their frustrations. Mignola, Arcudi and Davis' creation is just caught in the crossfire...

Also, I really hope we get to see Daimio's Were-jaguar. Neil Marshall has the potential to make this REALLY intense. Can't wait!
    I think the important thing is that the fidelity to the source material is to a vital aspect aspect of the character. Being Japanese American is much more important to Daimio than being white is to, say, Perry White or Iris Allen. Trying to conflate the two situations is kinda telling...

Are people really reacting that way or is it just the usual 4chan, youtube garbage commentators?

Amazing Member

Well, I don't know about 4chan and youtube, but that's all I see on sites like Bloody-Disgusting, Coming Soon.net, aint-it-cool-news, etc. All the big news sites. People are calling reverse racism on it. It's pretty disgusting. And I bet 99% of these people have no idea who Daimio is. They are just outraged a white actor lost a role. Like, really? These same people were complaining about The human torch and the Dark Tower not too long ago. Now that Hollywood listens to them for once, they complain. Instead of being happy they won this time, they are attacking the new Hellboy movie and boyscotting it... They are proving all the people who called them racist last time that they might have been right. I figured us geeks were petty and annoying because we wanted adaptations to be faithful to a T, not because we were a bunch of racist people. I really gave people the benefit of the doubt for the last few years. I guess I was wrong.
    Last edited by fred25_ca; 08-29-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Well, I don't know about 4chan and youtube, but that's all I see on sites like Bloody-Disgusting, Coming Soon.net, aint-it-cool-news, etc. All the big news sites. People are calling reverse racism on it. It's pretty disgusting. And I bet 99% of these people have no idea who Daimio is. They are just outraged a white actor lost a role. Like, really? These same people were complaining about The human torch and the Dark Tower not too long ago. Now that Hollywood listens to them for once, they complain. Instead of being happy they won this time, they are attacking the new Hellboy movie and boyscotting it... They are proving all the people who called them racist last time that they might have been right. I figured us geeks were petty and annoying because we wanted adaptations to be faithful to a T, not because we were a bunch of racist people. I really gave people the benefit of the doubt for the last few years. I guess I was wrong.
    Nah, those are mostly bastions for trolls much like youtube and yahoonews and 4chan so I wouldn't be too upset.

Amazing Member

Ahhh, you're probably right. I should have learned better than to go on those sites. Still, you'd be surprised how widespread it is.