Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    #BeefCake

with a capital B
    Beefcakes. Pleural. And possible Leather Daddies too, lol!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    @Iron Maiden: The panels for the Doom mini remind me a lot of the panels for a manga series called Red River. There's a scene in there where two of the male leads are in the river bathing and then they come out to deal with someone trying to kill them and you have a black shadow discretion shot in the front but the back side gives you plenty of butt shots.
    It kind of made me wonder if the artist for "Doom" Leonardo Manco had drawn full nudes just for the heck of it knowing the inker would darken up everything. Wasn't there a Peter Sellers Pink Panther movie where Inspector Clousseau had to cover his "naughty bits"?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    @Iron Maiden: The panels for the Doom mini remind me a lot of the panels for a manga series called Red River. There's a scene in there where two of the male leads are in the river bathing and then they come out to deal with someone trying to kill them and you have a black shadow discretion shot in the front but the back side gives you plenty of butt shots.

Mean time in regard to a thread on this, would it be allowed for Eastern comics as well. A number of female artist and writers in Manga do give, well to use an old phrase, eye candy of males in several shojo and Josei (girl and women) books, not to mention female artist that know girls are reading boys (shonen) comics and in the Seninen (men) books. There's also male artist/writers that add stuff in for women knowing that they read the books and try to at least include a few "pretty" male characters to appeal to the female demographic. Usually they're the rivals and such.
    In the last six-seven years the Beat published someone's claim that old 1940s statistics proved that there were actually more girl than boy comics-readers in a particular time-frame. Not hard to believe, if it's true that girls' reading-skills generally mature more quickly than those of boys.

So this makes me wonder: if there were more young female readers, isn't it likely that they liked seeing the male form on display, seeing it "objectified?" Of course in those days the male heroes, costumed and non-costumed, weren't usually the boulder-shouldered types we've become used to today: the comic-book artists tended to pattern themselves after comic-strip guys like Foster, Raymond, and Caniff. Frederic Wertham was one of the few persons to document any reader-responses from the Golden Age-- though his records are extremely suspect-- and he was very much in line with modern prejudices: pointing the finger only at the sexualization of female characters for male audiences, and paying no attention to the converse-- though of course he had a lot to say about the supposed sexualization of male characters for male audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    #BeefCake

with a capital B
    You don't get beefier cake than that.

Legion of Superheroes circa Great Darkness Saga. The men were always in various states of undress (either intentionally or when their costumes got trashed).

Not gay?

They were in my head...

Spectacular Member

You know the Japanese are the master of making sexy gay characters and they don"the really rely on butt shots to do that(they tend to focus on the chest alot I think). Maybe making a guy sexy on paper is different than making a girl sexy from an art point of view. But yeah what you want probably won't happen any time soon. Like gay characters are more common but thanks to the movies and modern sensibilities the big 2 comics are probably gonna be uptight about being overly sexy with gay characters for a long awhile.
    Last edited by murderousjohnny; 06-29-2017 at 01:21 PM.

Amazing Member

Default Males sexualized like females?

Does there exist ANY comic out there that sexualizes ANY male character like female characters usually are? You know, with them bending forward or arching their backs showing off their butts in skin-revealing clothes? Good example of what I mean would be something like Elektra here: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/f4/2e/2d/f...l-universe.jpg
    Or Harley Quinn here: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHcd7VcV0AEF2BG.jpg

I know some of you will probably suggest Nightwing. But from what I've seen, the way they sexualize his butt is never the same. It's always with him posing in practical ways and never bending over or arching his back, and never revealing skin on his buttcheeks or such like the two previous examples. Like this image of him: http://comicsalliance.com/files/2015...cola-scott.jpg
    Or this: https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...gyv2sicjfs.jpg

So no, that doesn't count. One last example to showcase what I am NOT looking for would be this page from a Harley Quinn & Powergirl comic: http://worldofoddballs.com/wp-conten...015/07/615.jpg
    He's not posing in the ways I described, first of all. Second, he is not considered attractive here - he's all hairy and gross, and Supergirl is repulsed by him (not to mention, she's being a hypocrite).

So... any examples of where ANY male character is sexualized in these ways that I describe female characters so often are? I appreciate any help with suggestions.

No, male characters are not sexualized the same way. The Hawkeye Initiative makes that point:

Created on December 2nd 2012, The Hawkeye Initiative uses Hawkeye and other male comic characters to illustrate how deformed, hyper-sexualized, and impossibly contorted women are commonly illustrated in comics, books, and video games.

After seeing the origin posts on Tumblr, Skjaldmeyja started the The Hawkeye Initiative as a means to keep track of the artwork that was quickly being created, with the blog’s name taken from the tags on Hoursago’s post.
    http://thehawkeyeinitiative.com/
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    No, male characters are not sexualized the same way. The Hawkeye Initiative makes that point:

http://thehawkeyeinitiative.com/
    Fallacy. You're talking about the really bad stuff, I'm not. A real life woman can arch her back or bend over, and there is nothing deformed or impossible about wearing clothes revealing the buttcheeks. You're just answering the way you do because you are completely missing my point, and you probably didn't even read through my post but just the title.

I read your post, and I don't think men are sexualized the way women are. If you think that is a "fallacy", I guess we just disagree.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I read your post, and I don't think men are sexualized the way women are. If you think that is a "fallacy", I guess we just disagree.
    You can't prove a negative. If you don't have any suggestions or recommendations to comment with, don't bother commenting at all.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    BB

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    Nope. You're talking about the Pillar Men, correct? They have butts in thong, but they never bend over or such to show off their butts.

Invincible Member

Here's the thing...while you can find sexy drawings of men in comics, usually the artist tries to make them look like sexy men, not sexy men posing like women.

I mean, I'm sure there's examples I'm not thinking of right now, but it's just not that common in mainstream superhero comics. At least not played seriously.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Men are more visual then women. The way women sexualize men is different then the way men sexualize women. That’s why the largest population of people who buy playgirl aren’t woman but rather gay men. Naked pictures of men aren’t the direct parrellel of naked women. Trashy romance novels are.